SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is it worth going to the annual NRA Meeting and Exhibits?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it worth going to the annual NRA Meeting and Exhibits? Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
I have never been before and it is this weekend in Dallas. I live in Austin so I would have to drive up and stay the night with in-laws. I have a lot to do around the house and wonder if it is worth the trip in going. I registered a while back and received my attendance badge, but just need to decide if it is worth going.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8697 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I want to go but had some things come up that preclude me but it would be interesting to see the first NRA Convention sans Wayne. Eek

It used to be the highlight of my year but now days things have changed with the NRA and would like it to return to it's (convention) glory. Frown

Posts: 22985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I went the last time it was in Dallas and it was worth it. I crashed at a buddy's place.

For me, the highlight was S&W had the new EZ series and it was the first time getting my hands on one. Even better, they had an engineer in the booth and I was able to discuss their design with a S&W engineer. A few months later bought a 380 EZ for the GF.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23380 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've been twice when it was held in Indy. It's free, and gives you an opportunity to handle a lot of new products that you otherwise might not get to in person. Its a fun, inexpensive way to spend a day and I've never been disappointed to have gone. I'd go again if they bring it back to Indy.

Posts: 8733 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed going years ago in Milwaukee. If it wasn’t to far, I’d go.

Posts: 6212 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I went to the one in Portland OR a loooong time ago. Was the guest of the Garcia/Sako rep. Had a blast.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6337 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I went to one in Pittsburgh longer ago than I want to admit. I would go again if there was one held within a decently-short drive of DC.

The exhibits are the main reason. I never knew Spyderco existed before that convention, and I got to see and handle a whole lot of guns that never appear at local gun shows.

Realize that, with the right level of membership, or contribution level, there is a whole 'nother Convention going on with shooting celebrities, various 2A proponents, and other attractions available. This year, with the Presidential election imminent. I'd expect this show to be well worth attending, if for no other reason than the entertainment value.

Posts: 6544 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
We've been a couple times, Indy and Louisville. Big, if you can carve out 2 days all the better. If not, plan on a long day to see it all.

Worth the time, the big companies have great displays. There is lots of gun show drek as well.

Posts: 11241 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I went to one in Pittsburgh longer ago than I want to admit. I would go again if there was one held within a decently-short drive of DC.

The exhibits are the main reason. I never knew Spyderco existed before that convention, and I got to see and handle a whole lot of guns that never appear at local gun shows.

Realize that, with the right level of membership, or contribution level, there is a whole 'nother Convention going on with shooting celebrities, various 2A proponents, and other attractions available. This year, with the Presidential election imminent. I'd expect this show to be well worth attending, if for no other reason than the entertainment value.

What kind of other things are there? I am a Life Benefactor and have been for a while, but I didn’t see anything on the website geared only for any level other than the Ring of Freedom.

I am thinking I may go seeing how many vendors there are and that Trump will speak.

Posts: 8697 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I joined a few members for the Houston show years ago [2 shows past I think].
Enjoyed it for the exhibits, we [I] did not attend any of the panels/discussions.

Would go again next time it's in Houston. Missed it the last time.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15462 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I joined a few members for the Houston show years ago [2 shows past I think].
Enjoyed it for the exhibits, we [I] did not attend any of the panels/discussions.

Would go again next time it's in Houston. Missed it the last time.

I wish it would be in Austin, but I bet liberal Austin wouldn’t allow it. Sucks it is a 3 hour drive to Dallas and then another hour to stay at my in-laws.

Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:

2004. I admitted it for you! I would absolutely go again if it was anywhere near me and or I could get the time off to travel.

Posts: 452 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I went to one in Pittsburgh longer ago than I want to admit.

Would have that been 2004? I went to that one. I enjoyed it. Only one I ever went to.

Posts: 1105 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I hope it is!

Posts: 2003 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
I went to the one in Pittsburgh years ago. It was well worth it then.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14018 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
I hope it is!

How come I didn’t get a ribbon for being a Life Benefactor? If you want to meet up, message me and I will send you my cell number. I am now going for sure as I have requested off from work. I need to get my motorcycle ready for the long ride.

posted Hide Post
I went with my son to the one in Pittsburgh. Drove from CT. First time I had Yuengling!
Was a memorable trip for me.

Posts: 1667 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have decided to go. I will leave at 6am tomorrow morning and plan to ride my motorcycle to save gas.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
It’s a pretty sweet set up as mentioned. I’ve been to previous conventions in Dallas & Houston. Met Mike Pappas of Dead Air at lunch in Dallas. It’s a hell of a lot more fun than any gun show and a step down from Shot Show. The last one in Dallas was pretty impressive. I didn’t care about the inner workings of the NRA meetings, etc. We went to see all the vendors and it did not disappoint.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7005 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post