SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    R.I.P. Astronaut Michael Collins Apollo 11
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

R.I.P. Astronaut Michael Collins Apollo 11 Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Damn that sucks. These Apollo MEN were so admired in this household. Men of steel, with endless resolve.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Buzz Aldrin had a nice farewell for him in the WSJ today. I can’t post it from this device, but will try to post it from my computer.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6426 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
To the Moon and Back With Michael Collins, 1930-2021
My fellow astronaut was a great pilot, a great friend and a great patriot.
By Buzz Aldrin
April 30, 2021 2:14 pm ET

Finding words is hard. The death at age 90 of Michael Collins, command-module pilot for Apollo 11, is the loss of a friend, an unswerving patriot and an intrepid explorer. Neil Armstrong and I were blessed to have had Mike as our crewmate on America’s first manned mission to the moon’s surface, in July 1969. No one is more responsible for our success—taking us out and bringing us home safely—than Mike.

What Mike gave our nation is hard to express. He was a fearless test pilot, inveterate scholar, cheerful crewmate; he was calm under pressure, self-disciplined, knew every detail of the Columbia command module. He was also a lifelong friend, focused on others and often hardest on himself.

Mike’s book, “Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut’s Journeys” (1974), is detailed and aptly named. A gifted writer, Mike put into words the extraordinariness of our shared experience—his, Neil’s, mine and our nation’s. He focused on the mission, team, nation and journey, less on himself.

Mike was the one who orbited the moon 30 times alone, focused on us, making sure we stayed close. He was the one who, on Gemini 10 in 1966, walked in space and proved orbital rendezvous with another spacecraft, a vital step in America’s eventual moon missions. And Mike was first among friends—gracious, self-deprecating and always quick with a smile.

In a sense, Mike was our engine, the one who “carried the fire” to the moon and back. His mastery of the command module preceded him. The entire astronaut corps revered his dedication. His mastery gave us confidence. Whatever happened on that first mission, Mike would figure out how to get us home. And he did.

After the moon, Mike kept serving. In 1970 he became assistant secretary of state for public affairs, helping America inspire others, lead with grace, spread “peace for all mankind.” The following year he became director of the Air and Space Museum, and in 1978 he earned a promotion to undersecretary of the Smithsonian.

Personally, Mike was a source of peace and cheer, whimsically growing a mustache on our moon mission, which he showcased later, in quarantine, with his hallmark smile. Mike was the best of America, someone who instinctively put himself out for others, a lifetime commitment. He felt no mission was too hard, no challenge beyond trying, and that we should always be ready to serve. He was that example. I will miss my friend. America had no better friend.

Mr. Aldrin is a former astronaut. As part of the Apollo 11 mission, he was one of the first men to walk on the moon.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6426 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
May he Rest In Peace.

I met a friend of my sister one day at a get together. He told me that his father was Mike Collins, and that he was his junior. It was 100% plausible since he was the right age and lived in the Houston area not too far away from NASA. He saw that my attention light was on so he threw out a story or two about his famous dad. Then...he said he was effing with me since he had no relationship to him that he knew. He said that he was frequently asked if he was related due to the name so he’d run with it every now and then like with me.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1182 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
Then...he said he was effing with me since he had no relationship to him that he knew. He said that he was frequently asked if he was related due to the name so he’d run with it every now and then like with me.

Had a similar experience. Met a guy whose last name was Krzyzewski - like the Duke basketball coach.

Naturally, I asked if they were related. "Oh yeah", he says, and proceeds to lay out a line of bull about his "Uncle Mike". Pretty soon it's obvious he's bs'ing. Then he starts complaining that he gets asked all the time if he's related to Coach K.

I can't imagine why that was, because, you know, Krzyzewski is such a common name. Confused