SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    R.I.P. Astronaut Michael Collins Apollo 11
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

R.I.P. Astronaut Michael Collins Apollo 11 Login/Join 
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted
Godspeed Sir...
"We regret to share that our beloved father and grandfather passed away today, after a valiant battle with cancer. He spent his final days peacefully, with his family by his side," Collins' family wrote in a statement on Twitter. "Mike always faced the challenges of life with grace and humility, and faced this, his final challenge, in the same way. "We will miss him terribly. Yet we also know how lucky Mike felt to have lived the life he did. We will honor his wish for us to celebrate, not mourn, that life," they continued. "Please join us in fondly and joyfully remembering his sharp wit, his quiet sense of purpose, and his wise perspective, gained both from looking back at Earth from the vantage of space and gazing across calm waters from the deck of his fishing boat."
https://www.foxnews.com/scienc...l-collins-dead-at-90

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3453 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Rest In Peace Mr. Collins.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
90 years old and quite a life lived. This one of those death notices that make me smile. I should hope to have lived such a life. I am surprised at the number of people who seem to feel Aldrin or even Collins were somehow cheated out of glory.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Godspeed Mr Collins! Our Gemini and Apollo astronauts were truly brave American heroes.

Posts: 2971 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP, General.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2072 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Sad news but he was 90 and a true hero.

Not many left.

RIP General Collins.

Posts: 53236 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
RIP.
They don't make them like him anymore.

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
RIP

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
A Man On The Moon

Great book, must read for anyone interested in the Apollo journey.

I met him on a street corner in Washington, D.C. once back in the 80's. I said hello general, and thanked him for his courageous accomplishments to the United States.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
One of my childhood heroes. RIP, sir.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
RIP, Michael Collins! You did well.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Michael Collins is the only person in the world not in the photo.
Godspeed sir

This message has been edited. Last edited by: blusmoke,

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post

Aldrin wrote:

Dear Mike,

Wherever you have been or will be, you will always have the Fire to Carry us deftly to new heights and to the future. We will miss you. May you Rest In Peace.

- still wonder what Collins thought about, while alone, with Aldrin and Armstrong on the lunar surface ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP sir.

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Godspeed, Spaceman.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
R.I.P. Mr. Collins

quote:
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air… .
Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high un-trespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

— John Gillespie Magee, Jr

Posts: 2028 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
RIP. These men were the heroes of my childhood.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
RIP. These men were the heroes of my childhood.

It repeats each generation. My son is 17 and was fully aware of the 50th Anniversary of the moon landing. He's seen Apollo 13, The Right Stuff, From Earth to the Moon, First Man, and other historical adaptations.

Today after telling me Michael Collins died (I had already heard), he asked if Buzz Aldrin was still alive.

He's also pretty knowledgable about 60's/70's Formula 1 and GT/GTP endurance racing. Yesterday he was watching "Rush", and he's watched both the documentaries and movies about "Ford v. Ferrari".

Old men that went really fast. Seems to be his thing.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What an inspiring man. Rest in Peace.

Posts: 348 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

RIP, and well done, sir.

Summer of 1969, I watched "One small step..." live on TV. Seems like a world ago.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post