SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    H&M Closes Stores In South Africa
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

H&M Closes Stores In South Africa Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
H&M Closes Stores In South Africa After 'Anti-Racism' Protesters Topple Mannequins, Trash Clothing Displays
Retailer suffered backlash after an ad showed a black child wearing a shirt that read, "coolest monkey in the jungle."

ByEMILY ZANOTTI January 15, 2018
Fast fashion retailer H&M was forced to close stores in South Africa over the weekend, after a group of "anti-racism" demonstrators protested through the outlets, toppling mannequins, overturning clothing racks, and leaving a wave of destruction in their wake.

Last week, H&M found itself in trouble after they released an ad showing a black child dressed in a shirt that read, "Coolest Monkey in the Jungle." After social media users pointed out the photo's racist implications, H&M apologized in an emailed statement, claiming that they'd made a horrible mistake, and vowing to be more conscious when putting together future ads.

The apology was not enough for some, however, and on Saturday, members of the Economic Freedom Fighters, a South African political party, gathered to protest outside H&M stores across the country — and things quickly went off the rails.

As part of their "protests," some EFF members turned violent and rampaged through the stores, destroying displays and strewing clothes across the floor. Twitter users captured the chaos on video.

https://www.dailywire.com/news...racism-emily-zanotti

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8402 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Here's the Hoodie; by the way I'd buy a couple for the kids in my family.

*By the way all the kids in my family one time or another have been referred to as "monkeys/little monkeys" and they're not black.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4339 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
What was it DJT said about those places?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"He chose poorly."

To be fair, I saw a photo of the same kid in one that said coolest lion in the jungle. But yeah, whomever let that by wasn't thinking.

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one store they tried to loot it and the police used rubber bullets on them.

Posts: 101 | Location: Jhb, South Africa | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
But yeah, whomever let that by wasn't thinking.

Wasn't thinking in terms of race you mean.

Next time the ad people should try to be a little more racist by not hiring any black children at all. If they had, they wouldn't have had any problems.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30447 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
What was it DJT said about those places?

One of those places we are sending millions of dollars in aid....

Any reason to loot and act wild is the norm in those countries.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

Any reason to loot and act wild is the norm in those countries.

Ferguson, Baltimore, Milwaukee, St. Louis, etc....

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30447 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16122 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Seeing that picture, It's taking all the self control I have right now to not riot and burn shit down.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for H&M pulling out, no need for the going tribal reaction. But then again, resorting to a pattern of violence. Shithole cuts to the chase.

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
But no one should be "nervous" about "taking" land from white landowners in South Africa.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/su...tion-says-ramaphosa/

"The ANC decided at its conference in December that it would propose amendments to the Constitution to seize land without compensation to speed up the process of giving black people more land after the were disposed during white rule. The party said this will only be done in a manner that doesn’t harm the economy, agricultural production or food security."

This British woman is calling them out on that.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/ne...-white-farm-murders/

"
South African farmers last year protested against their lack of safety and farm killings on a day dubbed Black Monday. Hopkins tweeted afterwards she would travel to South Africa to expose "#plaasmoorde".

Hopkins believes farm murders and the brutality of the attacks are being ignored in South Africa‚ due to the race of the victims."

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Seeing that picture, It's taking all the self control I have right now to not riot and burn shit down.

feel your pain

but then again,
I would have to get out of this chair and put my Tea down,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10438 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
There are some who think they are advancing an agenda of anti-racism but they are only fueling more hate and only looking for an excuse to riot.

Posts: 22954 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I embrace the term "cracker". I find it funny.

Posts: 11175 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
There are some who think they are advancing an agenda of anti-racism but they are only fueling more hate and only looking for an excuse to riot.

Yeah, and since labels are all about, in the interest of keeping descriptions short, lets call these "some who think they are advancing an agenda of anti-racism", what they are. Marxists, or shorter still GDC*.

(*Credited to JALLEN)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Riots, looting and burning seem to be the best ways to deal with racism. Afterwards everyone will see what wonderful people you really are and they'll wonder how they ever had anything but warm fuzzy feelings about you.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3548 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Guess the looters will have to buy their hoodies elsewhere in the future.

Posts: 26954 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ramaphosa said he would like a study of farms that have been reclaimed or redistributed to black South Africans since 1994.

“The real issue, though, is that most of the redistributed land is lying derelict at the moment,” he said. “It’s not being worked.”

Imagine that. But, they got what they wanted.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post