SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Propane tank certification?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Propane tank certification? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
Really? Is this a local thing, or does everyone have to do it?

How much should I expect to pay for this 'service'?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an older tank that needed recertification. It was $10 to recertify, or $5 for disposal. I had two new tanks anyway, so I just paid for the disposal. This was for a 20 lb. BBQ type tank. Don't know about a 500-1000 gallon tank.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of 40 lb'rs I use in the garage in the winter, when I had them refilled last year they had to be recertified - 12 years from their date of manufacture. I had no idea but he wasn't able to refill until he charged me $10 bucks a tank, and I had to leave them and pick up the next day. It was that or buy new ones.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
When one of my standard bbq grill size tanks needs certification I go trade it in on a Blue Rhino tank and let them do it.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Happens here. Just buy a new one, at least that's what I do. They make great targets at distance! You can hear the ring.

Posts: 3265 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
DOT tanks have to be recertified every 12 years. ie: your 20 lb gas grill tank.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5307 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, propane tanks, refrigerant recovery tanks, etc.

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGGUY (THE 1ST):
DOT tanks have to be recertified every 12 years. ie: your 20 lb gas grill tank.

I just exchange mine.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It's 10 years now.

I found out the hard way when I went to refill one that should have been good for another year. I just went and exchanged it at the Blue Rhino thing at WalMart. The price per pound was actually close to what I was paying at the hardware store for a refill.

Posts: 11610 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
10 years with no letter after date.
5 years if there's an "E" after the date.
7 years if there's an "S" after the date.

Tank exchanges are a ripoff. There have been class action lawsuits. They weren't filling the tanks to capacity. U-Haul is the best place to fill your tank (Yes I work there). You get exactly the amount you need, no short filling.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
DOT tanks have to be recertified every 12 years.

10 years with no letter after date....

Huh. Recent changes:

DOT cylinder requalification rule to impact propane marketers
January 19, 2017

The Department of Transportation (DOT) finalized a rule last year that affects the time frame for the requalification of propane cylinders and is set to take effect Jan. 23, according to the National Propane Gas Association (NPGA).

The new rule impacts anyone who requalifies, fills, transports or prepares shipments of DOT cylinders. The changes were part of a Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) rulemaking titled HM-233F, which was published as a final rule on Jan. 21, 2016. HM-233F incorporated about 100 special permits into the federal hazardous materials regulations, NPGA says. The changes modify 49 CFR 180.209e of the hazardous materials regulations.

The rule reduces the initial requalification period for DOT cylinders from 12 years to 10 years from the date of manufacture. It reduces the period from 12 years to 10 years for cylinders requalified using volumetric expansion testing. However, the requalification period for DOT cylinders following a proof pressure test increases from seven years to 10 years. The five-year visual inspection method for cylinder requalification does not change.

NPGA estimates the new rule will affect at least 5 million DOT-specification cylinders, including many that are used for home heating, forklifts and grill cylinders. Additionally, NPGA adds that the rule will likely affect about 3,000 propane marketers.

“We have a practical concern that now marketers must make a change to how they conduct business, how they review and requalify cylinders and how they educate and train employees,” says Sarah Reboli, director of regulatory affairs at NPGA. “The second concern is that this change has come across without any discussion, rationale, justification or evaluation. After the rule had been finalized, we identified that the change quite literally snuck into the back of the rulemaking.”

The association has been in communication with PHMSA regarding the rulemaking, and has sent a formal petition for a stay of enforcement in order to review the intent of the changes. In addition, NPGA and the Propane Education & Research Council (PERC) have been working closely regarding the issue.

“PERC is handling the education and safety side of this to address materials that need updated,” says Mollie O’Dell, vice president of communications at NPGA. “[NPGA is] handling the regulatory side of it.”

O’Dell says the Trump administration favors small businesses and consumer protections, but she adds the DOT rulemaking does not line up with those objectives.

http://www.lpgasmagazine.com/d...t-propane-marketers/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24578 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Our gas grill bottle recently expired. I took it to the one propane dealer in town that could certify a bottle. The guy who helped me was great, he said: "Well, the bottle has to me sent down to Commerce City for inspection, that's $12 and takes a few days, OR, you could just give me your bottle and I'll give you this brand new one. No charge."

"Uh, OK," I replied. "Let's do that."

Posts: 13564 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I just buy a new one. If you get someone to recertify it, they put their sticker on it and you have to keep taking it back to them for refills, as other vendors may not accept their recertification.

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I just buy a new one. If you get someone to recertify it, they put their sticker on it and you have to keep taking it back to them for refills, as other vendors may not accept their recertification.

That's not true. They are just trying to get you to come back to them. All certifications are done to the same standard. I'll fill any tank that's current.

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Here's a secret to getting rid of an expired tank. Exchange it & don't mention its expired. Get that tank refilled until it expires. Repeat this, you'll never have to buy a new tank or get them re certified.

-Bomber Harris

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

That's not true. They are just trying to get you to come back to them. All certifications are done to the same standard. I'll fill any tank that's current.

Maybe you will, but some of the alternative vendors here in town will claim that they have to certify it before they can fill it. I figured it was probably a scam. Once every 12 years? I'll just buy a new one. The new propane company I deal with for the 250 gallon tank has adapters on their delivery trucks (or whatever it takes) to fill the BBQ tanks, so I just set them out on the day he's going to come.

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
You get exactly the amount you need, no short filling.

so does Tractor Supply.

As far as exchanges, there's nothing to say the recert date on the tank won't expire in a year or two. A new tank is $30.00. Blue Rhino now advertises there tanks as 15lb tanks. doubt few realize they are getting a shot fill.

I like the UHaul tanks with the gauge on them.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I went last week to get 4 of the 20lb tanks refilled. One was over 12 years old so they couldn't refill it. The garbage man won't take them, nor will the township recycling center. I had to take it to a scrap yard to dispose of it.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4033 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had two tanks that the guy would not refill due to being outdated. He normally charges $15.95 plus tax for a refill. I took the two bottles to Sam's Club and exchanged them for $16.59 each, out the door. A no brainer to me from this point on.

Posts: 6711 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Yes every twelve years.

The local Chevron propane distributor said it is cheaper to buy a new one at Costco then what they charge for re-certification. This only pertains to the 5 gallon BBQ Tanks.

They would take the old tank for they are not allowed in the landfill.

I guess it all depends on labor rate in the area, if it is cheaper to buy new or re-certify.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post