SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SWAT call-out went bad....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SWAT call-out went bad.... Login/Join 
SF Jake
posted
http://www.wtnh.com/news/conne...th-haven-/1156227813

As a SWAT medic of 10 years I've never had a call-out go this south so fast. Long story short and to keep specific tactics out of it, an element of our team was about to make entry into one of multiple structures on a piece of property in a methodical clearing looking for an armed/barricaded subject when the building was intentionally detonated by our target.....a two story barn structure was completely obliterated and multiple officers injured in the blink of an eye. I was (thankfully) protected in a Bearcat about 35 yards from the structure.....it was intense. We loaded 6 of the injured officers into the Bearcat and I started triaging as we raced them towards a staging area for ambulances.....fortunately no life threatening injuries as I really expected to see fatalities. To say this was an oh-shit moment is an understatement...and hopefully one I never have to experience again. I'm thankful my guys are going to be ok and was able to help them. This is one of those events you never forget...God bless our officers!

Posts: 3161 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
No fatalities?
The good Lord was watching out for our boys today.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I heard a little it about it on the news and got a call with more from my son on the job. Glad you’re OK. Hopefully the fatality was the bad guy.

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I believe this made the national news when it happened. I had visitors at the time but heard the headlines.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Glad you and your guys are OK.

I caught a blurb about this on the Houston news.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Prayers to all of you. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Wow. Glad you guys are mostly ok.

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Saw this as well. Glad your guys are o.k.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20395 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
This is one of the reasons that I think it is a good idea for police to have an unarmed, armored vehicle like the bearcat. It should be used to safely move people around in a dangerous situation.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7214 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Glad you are OK, can you update us on the officers?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11477 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Wow. Glad to hear nobody on your team was seriously injured.

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scary stuff. Glad you all are OK. Years back a guy in this area decided to commit suicide by breaking his main gas line, let it fill the basement, then flicking his Bic. Took out 1 city block and all of those homes were so destroyed that they were scraped and rebuilt new. Huge.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Best wishes to your troop. Glad you’re ok...

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arty:
This is one of the reasons that I think it is a good idea for police to have an unarmed, armored vehicle like the bearcat. It should be used to safely move people around in a dangerous situation.

I couldn't agree more Arty....the secure feeling in that machine really lets you concentrate on the task at hand and can get us up close and personal safely. We train using it as an officer rescue tool as well placing it between downed officer and known assailants.....which is exactly how it played out last night....you always fall back to your training when under pressure.
Sure I've heard the talk of "the police don't need tanks" and the like but that statement is from people that arent putting themselves in those situations.....so screw em!

Posts: 3161 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Glad you are OK, can you update us on the officers?

Two officers remain hospitalized at this time with lower extremity fractures and concussions but their prognosis is favorable for a full recovery. The other officers have been released with various cuts/abrasions and fractures to the best of my knowledge at this point. The injuries sustained were from the blast and debris of a building being blown up, fortunately no severe burns but I can tell you the initial fireball was huge!

The team is doing a walk through tomorrow in daylight to give us a perspective of what we were facing and the resulting damage we survived....pictures don't do it justice.

On a side note, the body located on the property is probably the target we were searching for but we are waiting for the ME to positively identify....Im pretty sure its him.

Picture of cokehockey
posted Hide Post
One of my fears as a firefighter. Would hate to have to respond to my brothers because a coward decided to set something off. We're usually standing by out of the "hot zone", but hopefully close enough to help. I'm glad all the "good guys" lived and hope their recoveries are quick. Thank you for your service and continued diligence when going after the bad guy.

““My mother always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana.” —Betty White

Posts: 102 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!
I'm glad your guys are (for the most part) OK!

I couldn't imagine the chaos, and I'm happy guys like you are with us to patch shit back together when it goes bad!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8550 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you are OK along with the others in your team.

Posts: 4137 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Any idea what the device was?
HE, black powder, propane bottle, TNT, homemade explosive

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11477 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post