SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remington Arms new owners will keep Remington in Ilion, NY
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Arms new owners will keep Remington in Ilion, NY Login/Join 
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
The factory/HQ in Huntsville is now empty. All the manufacturing equipment was moved out when this decision went down. Right now the city is in the process of getting our money back when the bankruptcy sale closes....they owe the city about ten million I believe. Not certain what will happen to the real estate or the buildings .... Remington was unsuccessful getting a buyer for them before the end of September....it’s valued north of 50 million. But it’s safe to say that Remington isn’t coming back here in any way shape or form and all of the computer tooling and machinery has gone somewhere....perhaps back to Ilion.

0:01

Posts: 4214 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So all the "Huntsville" marked guns are now historical oddities? Big Grin

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Were there Huntsville marked guns? That would be cool to see. What did they make in Alabama?

Edit: pistols, apparently. Looks like that's where Remington Defense was, too.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 783 marked "HUNTSVILLE AL" so apparently some rifles were made there also.

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post

They exist with both Ilion and HUNTSVILLE proof marks.

Posts: 4214 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dawes:
I have a Remington 783 marked "HUNTSVILLE AL" so apparently some rifles were made there also.

Weren't those rebranded imports?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remington needs to kick the union to the curb and leave that cesspool of a state. let NY go bankrupt, they are already losing money fast as it is.

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:

Weren't those rebranded imports?

As far as I know. all 783's are/were US made.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
This is all an eleborate but fully legal shell game to accomplish several goals. First it relieves Remington of future legacy costs pertaining to their old union labor contract.

Remington Arms, oldest U.S. gunmaker, to lay off 585 employees in New York, union says.

"
“This outrageous action by Remington Outdoor company is a slap in the face to the employees who built that company into the best firearms manufacturer in the world,” UMWA International president Cecil E. Roberts, said in a statement.

“UMWA Local Union 717 has already filed a series of grievances under our collective bargaining agreement, and the UMWA International Union is exploring further legal action.”

The sale of the Remington plant in Ilion to Roundhill Group, LLC was approved late last month in federal bankruptcy court as part of the Remington Outdoor Company bankruptcy case, according to court documents.

“We are now working with the new company to get the plant reopened and start putting our members back to work," the union continued.

"But the old, failed Remington had one more kick in the pants for our members. If they think they can get away with this without a fight from the UMWA they had better think again. Our members in Local Union 717 earned those benefits.”
"

Posts: 21111 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ There've been a couple of reports in the media to the effect that the new owners in New York might eventually offer 400 jobs, but one wonders if they'll want to go back and hire the same people who "built that company into the best firearm manufacturer in the world".
quote:
As far as I know. all 783's are/were US made.

My mistake. I was thinking about the 798/799 rifles that were restocked and rebranded Zastavas. They brought in a bunch of single shot rifles and a few different shotguns from Baikal at about the same time.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/remi...n_798_799_rifles.htm

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
because....NY is so pro 2nd amendment!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
My bet is they pull up stakes and go to NC, AR or TN.

Why mess around with a union if they don’t have to?

Which is why they went to AL.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Good luck with the future of Remington, but IMO leaving it in NY was a bad first step.

Definitely cray cray.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Now that Kimber has left maybe that will be an incentive

Posts: 53215 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:

They exist with both Ilion and HUNTSVILLE proof marks.

As a follow up...stopped by my local fun shop today to buy rifle Ammo and, low and behold, a two-tone R1 was under the glass on its green box and it ended up coming home with me today.

$500.00

They were supposed to be completely sold out a month ago of the HUNTSVILLE, AL proof mark pistols but this one got left behind.

I’m happy.