Notify
Tools

MOHS Surgery Login/Join 
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted
Anybody else had this done?

It’s a skin cancer surgery procedure. They just cut a spot on my nose.
Now I have to sit here and wait for the results to see if the margins are clear

If I get the all clear they will stitch me up.

If not then more slicing......

Yes, I’m a white boy !

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3497 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Both my wife and I have had it done. Mine was on an arm and hers on an eyelid. Both of us had no issues with the procedure.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Girlfriend had it done. Spot on her forehead/into her hairline. Didn't seem like big deal. She was more upset over the scar than anything else.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve had three Mohs surgeries. All for basil cell carcinomas. A lot better than the former technique of cutting out a LOT to improve the likelihood that all of it was “got”. The sooner it’s done, the less they have to cut.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9004 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I've had it on my nose for squamous cell carcinoma.

You need to make sure you have a plastic surgeon do the repair afterwards as it is tough to get the wound closed up on the nose since they can't just pinch it together and stitch it up.

They had to pull my cheek skin up onto my nose to get mine covered and it had to be a plastic surgeon to do it or it would have really messed up my face (more than it already is).

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Wife had it done on side of nose, just about the worst place for scarring. Think they had to go back 3 times ...meaning cut, check, cut, check , cut - all clear. We then slapped on big bandage and went to a plastic surgeon they used for closing it up and minimizing scarring. She was concerned she would like Al Capone, but after a couple of months barely could see it and now - nothing.

Amazing given the size of the hole they cut - if going with known doctors, life saving.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
My daughter is the Dermatology Chief and a MOHS surgeon for Kaiser Permanenete; does it every day. Anything I can ask her for you?

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yep. It can leave a frighteningly large defect. But, plastics guys are used to closing these things.

Good success rate when done by a surgeons with experience.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20326 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Not me, but I have known several victims - I mean patients.

It is a better method than the old guesswork method, which required taking a big chunk, whether needed or not.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
First one, large on my face, below my eye, left a nice verticle scar, i opted to not have plastic surgery. Goes good on Talk like a Pirate Day Smile . Second on forearm, 3, 4,5 and s6 on ear and back. No big deal.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
Had it done on my forehead. The surgeon took out a big divot. Looks like a thin scar now. I had to massage the site with polysporin after the stitches came out to reduce scarring. The wound leaked a bit during healing. Antibiotics probably prevented an abscess.

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Pal has had it done twice on her nose. The last time they had her back in three or four times. That had her pretty upset not knowing what the outcome would look like. They had to do some plastic surgery but I think it came out great. Of course she is more critical of it. Hope everything works out for you.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’m scheduled for Moh’s surgery on my scalp April 10th. Got the thing biopsied pretty early on, so I hope it won’t be a lengthy procedure with a big chunk carved out.

I really shouldn’t have spent so much time at the pool as a kid.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26950 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Well I'm out of the surgery now.

They put 10 micro stitches inside and 3 on the surface.

Margins are clear and they only had to do one pass.

Nothing was said to me about a plastic surgeon ?

If it scars I guess it will just give me more character Wink

Right now my nose is still numb for the most part but I can feel the pain starting to set in.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3497 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Good to hear it was minimal.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had MOHS done many times.
Face, shoulders and arms.
It sure beats having the squamus cell cancer removed, starting the healing process then having an oops we didn't get it all invitation from the surgeon saying " we need to take little more".
"Clear margins" are what you want to hear.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Once for BCC, just below the corner of my left eye. I am not your poster boy skin cancer patient. Dark eyes, olive skin, no previous visit to a dermatologist. I just noticed something that wouldn’t go away, and in fact seemed to get bigger. For crissakes people, if you see something that won’t heal or go away—get it looked at.

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Had it done on my forehead, no big deal for me.

If you have to have cancer surgery, this is the one to have.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4880 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I've had it done, spent 4-1/2 hours and had a plastic surgeon do the close up and fixing

it hurt more removing the stitches

mine was on my neck and they ended up taking out quite a chunk of tissue but the doc did a good job

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I've had two done, and while somewhat uncomfortable wasn't really a big deal. One was under the eye and the other on the temple - both basil cells. Most uncomfortable part of it was being sent to the plastic surgeon's office and being stared at by some really beautiful ladies in the waiting room. Turns out this guy mostly does "updates and enhancements" for women. I asked him if I could get the Tom Selleck repair package but the jerk said there wasn't nearly enough for him to work with.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2543 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post