SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggestion for gift to wife having our 1st child
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestion for gift to wife having our 1st child Login/Join 
posted
Hello All,

My wife of nearly 15 years and I are expecting our 1st baby with due date of Jan 11, 2018. We have been on quite a journey trying to conceive since the wedding. Its taken 2 rounds of IVF, but we are blessed to be expecting a little girl in the next 6 weeks or so.

I've heard of "dad" giving "mom" a gift after the delivery. With all the nursery and medical bills, I'd like to stay around $500 but have no idea where to start. Maybe a nice watch, pearl necklace or some type of jewelry with baby's name or something. (cant have birth date or birthstone since we wouldn't know at time of delivery)

Any one do this for their wife? I'd love to hear your stories and suggestions.

Also, looking forward to see if David Truong has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 239 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
How about a spa day she can take advantage of in a few months? You can stay home with baby. She can go out... get a massage, nails, hair or whatever.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8936 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
A nice comfortable Glider Chair for sitting/nursing with the new born. My wife loved hers.

JC

Posts: 1305 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
How about buying a current years bottle of your wife's favorite wine to be opened after your daughter leaves the nest.

And a nice piece of jewelry, but something tells me she might appreciate the thought behind the bottle of wine a little more.

Posts: 11207 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David Truong.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Aside from Dave, heck, you are giving her her first child! What else are you supposed to give?

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The old push present...

I bought my wife a designer diaper bag for our first. She loved it but she is into those sort of things. I think it was around $500.

If your wife isn't into those sort of things, maybe a massage/spa day gift card or something? Maybe pay for someone to come over and clean your house? The first few weeks after delivery are rough, anything is better than nothing.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
It took my wife and I close to five years to get pregnant and I did not get her any type of present. We were just happy to be having a baby.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3645 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, you will soon need a bunch of things and have SO many opportunities to assist I don't think a dedicated present will do justice.

After things settle down a bit an eve out while a trusted sitter watches the little one should be enough. Any gift you give soon after birth will soon be lost as one goes beyond the no kids lifestyle.

Stand by for some womanly changes too.

Posts: 6422 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Ear plugs.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Get her something she can really use and will appreciate-a nice new iron and ironing board, or a new vacuum cleaner. Trust me on this-I've been married 27 years.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJnSA:
Hello All,

My wife of nearly 15 years and I are expecting our 1st baby with due date of Jan 11, 2018. We have been on quite a journey trying to conceive since the wedding. Its taken 2 rounds of IVF, but we are blessed to be expecting a little girl in the next 6 weeks or so.

I've heard of "dad" giving "mom" a gift after the delivery. With all the nursery and medical bills, I'd like to stay around $500 but have no idea where to start. Maybe a nice watch, pearl necklace or some type of jewelry with baby's name or something. (cant have birth date or birthstone since we wouldn't know at time of delivery)

Any one do this for their wife? I'd love to hear your stories and suggestions.

Also, looking forward to see if David Truong has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

My first boy was born in September. I didn't give her anything immediately but went a little extra at Christmas. One of her Christmas gifts was the traditional David Yurman braided bracelet with blue stones on the ends. The second was born right before Mother's Day this year and I gave her a nice string of pearls on Mother's Day. Both gifts weren't necessarily push presents but were over and above what we would normally spend on Mother's Day or Christmas.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10593 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I don't care about the gift you give her; the gift God is giving both of you is beyond price!

Posts: 18378 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
David Truong.

Dave has done two beautiful necklaces for me (or rather my wife/daughters). With each of our girls Dave made me a necklace using their birthstones. Each was given to my wife after birth, but with the understanding that they're her's until the girls turn 18 or get married, or whatever milestone she chooses to gift them each their respective necklace. At that point I'm sure I'll be on the hook for something much more expensive than what I spent on the necklaces to replace them. Eek

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5425 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
She's going to have no time after the baby is here, so giving her time now might be a nice gift.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
How about several months worth of maid service?

With a newborn, you'll both be so busy and exhausted that it'll be tough to find the time and energy for things like laundry and house chores.

Posts: 33101 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Get her something she can really use and will appreciate-a nice new iron and ironing board, or a new vacuum cleaner. Trust me on this-I've been married 27 years.

You forgot the white dress so the dishwasher will match the rest of the appliances. Wink

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I gave my wife a Tiffany & Co. silver necklace heart charm with the initials of the new baby on it (did it twice, once for each kid). She absolutely loves it and wears it all the time.

IIRC, I think they were about $250-$300 each.

BTW, congratulations on your little girl -- you are in for a world of fun.

Posts: 5083 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I don't care about the gift you give her; the gift God is giving both of you is beyond price!

That's about it.

I really don't think your wife would give any gift you give her more than a split second's notice. She'd be too wrapped up with the baby. Besides, you'll have to accessorize that baby for a whole lot of years ahead of you.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20075 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
How about several months worth of maid service?

With a newborn, you'll both be so busy and exhausted that it'll be tough to find the time and energy for things like laundry and house chores.

BINGO !!!
We have a winner.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4602 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post