SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man killed by “pet” Cassowary
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man killed by “pet” Cassowary Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Birds are the most direct distant relative to dinosaurs alive on the planet, and Cassowary are large dangerous wild animals. Darwin wins twice.

Dude was 75. Darwin wasn't in play for this guy.

Once for owning the damn thing and daring to get careless with it, and a bonus Darwin point for the evolution from dinosaur to current state. Double-Darwin-Dipping.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15791 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geezus, people are stupid. Breeding them? For what purpose? For zoos?
Who, other than a zoo, would want a bird that wants to kill you?
Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16384 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those wondering about the analogous parts of the Cassowary, Velociraptor and us may enjoy reading “Your Inner Fish” by Neil Shubin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Archie Teuthis,

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Birds are the most direct distant relative to dinosaurs alive on the planet, and Cassowary are large dangerous wild animals.

Dinosaurs are closer than you think. To the point of the tragic events of today with Notre Dame burning, similar bird (except about 500 lbs and 12 feet tall) - the Moa - had populations in the thousands in the highlands of New Zealand 100 years after the cornerstone of Notre Dame was laid. A 500 pound bird almost as tall as a giraffe, that may have been alive when Henry VIII married Anne Boleyn.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Once for owning the damn thing and daring to get careless with it, and a bonus Darwin point for the evolution from dinosaur to current state. Double-Darwin-Dipping.

Look, I understood the evolution thing obviously, but the dude was 75. His genes if he had spawned any children were long ago passed on.

Seriously, this darwin stuff every time some idiot gets himself killed has grown beyond tiresome.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30908 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
quote:
Birds are the most direct distant relative to dinosaurs alive on the planet, and Cassowary are large dangerous wild animals.

Dinosaurs are closer than you think. To the point of the tragic events of today with Notre Dame burning, similar bird (except about 500 lbs and 12 feet tall) - the Moa - had populations in the thousands in the highlands of New Zealand 100 years after the cornerstone of Notre Dame was laid. A 500 pound bird almost as tall as a giraffe, that may have been alive when Henry VIII married Anne Boleyn.

You can see dinosaurs in almost any bird species if you look hard enough; the flightless birds are the ones that grab the attention fastest. There were many many dinosaurs that were not predatory that birds like the Cassowary seem very much alike. The predatory birds like Secretary birds and Roadrunners seem more like their raptor-like ancestors due to their hunting postures. Clearly a large non-predatory bird is not a docile creature.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15791 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
< snip >
They are literal Velociraptors.

No, they are literal Cassowaries, figurative Velociraptors,.

I bet the victim couldnt tell the difference.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hound Dog,

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21922 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
I had to look this up....Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vqs2ZOOirk

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prepsheriff:

So they can run at 31mph? Oh, that whole claw thing is a bit unnerving too. Nice to know that the center one is for disemboweling creatures that piss them off. Not quite sure why any sane person would want one of these on their property? OTOH, they are quite beautiful just like cougars, tigers, lions, and grizzly bears.

Posts: 7671 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:
Originally posted by prepsheriff:

So they can run at 31mph? Oh, that whole claw thing is a bit unnerving too. Nice to know that the center one is for disemboweling creatures that piss them off. Not quite sure why any sane person would want one of these on their property? OTOH, they are quite beautiful just like cougars, tigers, lions, and grizzly bears.

Well said. The claws on this bird look like a model from Jurassic World.

Posts: 12578 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I think they would make awesome pets, as soon as I learn to run at 32 MPH...

Posts: 9410 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
He obviously never played Far Cry 3, those things are crazy!

Hoped someone would make this reference and I was not disappointed!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1784 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hoped someone would make this reference and I was not disappointed

They make a nice wallet though. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7870 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Seriously, this darwin stuff every time some idiot gets himself killed has grown beyond tiresome.

Thank you. Darwin had an axe to grind with God from a young age. I'm not a fan of Darwin.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... taught to be always wary of the Cassowary and the Emu. Both are a few sandwiches short ... unpredictable.

Just never do this. A statue on the other hand ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
I think they would make awesome pets, as soon as I learn to run at 32 MPH...

I'm not sure of the pet aspect, even if I could run 40 MPH... Eek

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post