SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man killed by “pet” Cassowary
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man killed by “pet” Cassowary Login/Join 
posted
The Cassowary is a large bird found in Papua New Guinea & Australia. Imagine a man-sized turkey with an attitude and a large sharp claw like a Velociraptor. The owner, from Alachua, FL died from injuries. Why would you keep one ??

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/ta...XybjXG19JPVS73JMO5qA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Archie Teuthis,

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Birds are the most direct distant relative to dinosaurs alive on the planet, and Cassowary are large dangerous wild animals. Darwin wins twice.
fallout shady sands

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15791 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I heard a description of the bird......sounds like a long removed relative of a velociraptor.

Yup....let's keep a huge ass bird with a razor sharp talon....and the mental capacity of a angry 2year old.

Darwin at its best

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Yes, but they are highly intelligent and loving pets”
Roll Eyes

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Archie Teuthis:
Why would you keep one?

Really big family coming for Thanksgiving.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32012 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
How would you write that eulogy ? Or better yet, make a life insurance claim after such an event. It has been said to laugh at the dead and cry for the born....certainly fits in this scenario.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
"Initial information indicates that this was a tragic accident for Mr. Hajos,"

No kidding?

Posts: 11439 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
He was a breeder of an endangered animal. Ya don't fall down around a predator...
75 yr old didn't stay vigilante...

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I fed one by hand in Australia. In a very controlled environment, because I’m not stupid.

A cassowary does not make an excellent pet. Probably not bad for perimeter security, though.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He obviously never played Far Cry 3, those things are crazy!

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Those things are big mean birds. I have yet to encounter a Cassowary that is not aggressive. The one I saw in Sydney was pacing aggressively back and forth eyeing people who wandered near its exhibit. The Norfolk VA Zoo has a Cassowary too and it isn’t friendly either. I have no idea why anyone would want to own such an ornery bird that happens to have HUGE claws.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
Emotional support bird? Are they allowed on airlines?

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1514 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I have no idea why anyone would want to own such an ornery bird that happens to have HUGE claws.

I think many people just want to own a 'big bad animal' just because they can.

I saw one at a zoo. That animal was NOT something to trifle with. Even behind bars, it had a very threatening attitude. There is no way I would set foot in that animal's enclosure. They are literal Velociraptors.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21922 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
They have some at our local zoo. There was a guy there talking about them one day, said they are nasty aggressive mofos and they will end your day real quick.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
In Florida.

Posts: 8889 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Birds are the most direct distant relative to dinosaurs alive on the planet, and Cassowary are large dangerous wild animals. Darwin wins twice.

Dude was 75. Darwin wasn't in play for this guy.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30908 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Just for comparison to the above photo, here is a photo of a model foot and claws of a Velociraptor from the National Museum:

Posts: 4054 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
< snip >
They are literal Velociraptors.

No, they are literal Cassowaries, figurative Velociraptors, and dangerous as proposing to a stripper in a Tijuana bar.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32012 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

dangerous as proposing to a stripper in a Tijuana bar.
You've done that too?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31388 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post