SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1911 repair help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 repair help Login/Join 
posted
I’m loosing my mind. The hammer strut on the government should be the same length as the hammer strut on the officer correct?

Springfield sent me a replacement hammer strut because mine snapped. They also sent a main spring retaining pin because that was lost as well. I’m putting it back together and the hammer is not under spring tension throughout its entire travel. Almost as if the hammer strut is too short. It is a government model.

Posts: 971 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
With the exception of minor variations between manufacturers, 1911 hammer struts are generally the same length for Government, Commander and Officer sized pistols.

Posts: 3509 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now I really don’t know what the problem is. Thank you for confirming.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Are you sure you re-installed the cup the strut sits in inside the mainspring housing?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
For clarification, does this occur while cocking the hammer on a fully assembled pistol? If so, since you replaced the mainspring retaining pin, I'd remove the mainspring housing and disassemble. Check for any burrs or corrosion on the mainspring cap or inside of the housing which may be causing the spring to bind. While unlikely, I can't think of too many conditions which would result in inconsistent hammer tension. Please provide a bit more detail and we'll attempt to trouble shoot. Thanks.

Posts: 3509 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Are you sure you re-installed the cup the strut sits in inside the mainspring housing?

Excellent point. Here's a photo of the internals for comparison.

Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Does your Springfield have the ILS system (the lawyer lock on the mainspring housing). If so, I believe it uses a different sized hammer strut.

Chris

Posts: 1697 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it does have the ILS lock. All 3 parts are in the housing correctly and nothing is binding or corroded. I will call Springfield and inquire about the hammer strut differences. I can’t see any other reason for this to happen.

posted Hide Post
I called Springfield Armory today and I was told that with the locking mainspring housing, no retainer is used to hold the spring in. The hammer struts are not different lengths. You insert a pin from the outside of the mainspring housing to hold everything captive during assembly, and remove it when it’s assembled.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
So there’s no Mainspring Pin? The pin at the top of the photo above. And the mainspring cap just rides inside the housing? That’s weird.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an excellent excuse to send it to Bruce Gray for some custom work.

Big Grin

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post