SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Worlds Largest Sporting Goods Store
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worlds Largest Sporting Goods Store Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
Oh! Why haven't you DFW people mentioned this?

Scheels has opened what is supposedly the worlds largest sporting goods store in The Colony (city in DFW).

2 stories, indoor Ferris wheel, larger than 2 football fields, makes Bass Pro in Springfield MO look like a convenience store?

I just saw some interior pics, it looks awesome.

It's time for a road trip, I have family and friends in the area.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was looking for P365 Mags during the initial panic and Scheels had them. Quick delivery, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Yeah, lots of attractions, huge store etc. Someone PAYS for that. Guess who?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a scheels just south of us in Salt Lake City. It's YUGE!
Good size hunting and firearms depth. I remember it being a little pricey last time I was there a few years ago.

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
2 stories, indoor Ferris wheel, larger than 2 football fields, makes Bass Pro in Springfield MO look like a convenience store?

Back in 2004 they planned something like that for NJ. At the time called Xanadu it is slightly smaller than the Mall of America at six million square feet. The ferris wheel was deleted from the original plans. They have as indoor ski ramp and a water part. Owned by the same people who run the MOA the original anchor store was to be Cabelas. The economy tanked that when they downsized their expansion plans a few years later and the numerous delays didn't help.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was about to post about this store. We've been waiting for it to open for a long time and it was worth the wait. We wandered around for several hours and still didn't see everything. I loved that the employees were helpful and practically none of them were wearing masks. They had a lot of long guns that were displayed in the open and you could pick them and handle them. It was a fun store, too bad I didnt have $20k to spend in the gun section.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to think Kittery Trading Post n Kittery Maine was huge at well over 100,000 sq feet but Scheels in The Colony is 325,000.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scheels is a pretty good outfit. They definitely charge retail, but they do price matching and they have a pretty reasonable return policy that includes firearms. I've done pretty well on a couple used gun purchases with them.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
they started out in Fargo ND. Nice stores but really expensive and no competition.

I have spent way too much money at their stores!!! I miss the cheap used sigs and lay away!!!

Posts: 7800 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked for Scheels for almost 3 years. They’re a legitimately good company to work for. They take good care of their people. They close on major holidays including Easter, and for Black Friday, they only open up 3 hours early. No Thanksgiving Day BS. I really enjoyed working for them.

Plus, their employee discount is cost + 6%. A $250 North Face winter coat cost me around $110 out the door. Scheels Outfitters branded stuff usually had about 70% markup so that was always cheap to get. I had quite the selection of clothing and shoes because of working there.

And yes, they will accept any return at any time with or without a receipt.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 814 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
they started out in Fargo ND. Nice stores but really expensive and no competition.

I have spent way too much money at their stores!!! I miss the cheap used sigs and lay away!!!

Got my first 22 rifle from Scheels hardware in Minot in the early 80's.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Scheels was lauded as an outstanding alternative in a recent thread about Cabela's downward spiral.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I just dropped nearly my whole "stimulus" check into Scheels the other week for a whole new Dillon setup.

I'm a little pissed that they had a great deal on the same press a few weeks before I ordered, but I didn't want to spend the money, even though I had it. Roll Eyes

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I've done considerable business with their stores here in Great Falls and Billings. Never been unhappy with their inventory or pricing for this part of the world.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
It's very good to hear that Scheels is a good store. I was worried about another 'Dicks' fiasco.

I think they were supposed to have a big grand opening in February but it didn't happen cuz WuFlu.

I live very near there, it is very near our preferred Chik-fil-a. It does seem that the immediate area is being developed as a 'destination' of some sort. My wife and I can't figure out what group would do so in numbers sufficient to pay for it all. I can't believe I would advise a road trip for this, but to each his own.

We drove by there, in their parking lot, just today to see if they ever opened and there was a small line to get in. I'm sure they are limiting the number to 25% of capacity. One more thing to consider is that much of the development this store is the anchor for isn't finished yet. Grandscape or some such. There is a hotel being built that isn't at all even close to complete.

Heck Toyota N. America HQ is also extremely close by and, though I haven't, I think I'd rather tour that.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7258 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they're taking the footprint of their current super store in Sparks/Reno-area and increasing it for this location.

While impressive, I'd still look to support my LGS and outdoor shop first, before considering Scheels

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another couple of tidbits I really liked about Scheels:

1) I spent my time there working in loss prevention. Our store had a $100k+ camera system and a team of 8 of us or so. We got to work in plain clothes and actually catch folks stealing. The company prosecutes 100% of shoplifters caught and we would get 150-200 people a year. It was nice to have the support of the corporate office.

2)You can bring your pet dog in to shop with you. That was always a highlight of my day. This may vary with individual stores, but I have never known a Scheels to have a policy against it.

Scheels salespeople are given a lot of latitude in how they run their specialty shop. Each specialty shop has a shop manager (a sales associate in charge of ordering and displays and such for their products). That shop manager is given the freedom to choose what to carry, how to display it, etc. These shop managers are afforded all kinds of specialty trainings and pro deals so they really know their products, and they are rewarded with trips and cash bonuses for meeting sales goals, so they will go the extra mile to help you.

If you ever need to talk to an "expert" in what you're looking for, ask specifically for a shop manager in whatever department it is. For this forum, specialty shops in hardlines include cutlery, ammunition, shotguns, rifles, handguns, and reloading. They are usually each run by a different shop manager.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 814 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scheels is good. In early April they have their once a year reloading sale. Bullets, brass, powder,primers, dies, you name it for reloading is 20% off.

Posts: 4058 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those who want to do a road trip. You can drop your wife off next door at NFM (the world's largest furniture/appliance/electronics store). At least I think I have read it is the largest.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
It's very good to hear that Scheels is a good store. I was worried about another 'Dicks' fiasco.

I think they were supposed to have a big grand opening in February but it didn't happen cuz WuFlu.

I live very near there, it is very near our preferred Chik-fil-a. It does seem that the immediate area is being developed as a 'destination' of some sort. My wife and I can't figure out what group would do so in numbers sufficient to pay for it all. I can't believe I would advise a road trip for this, but to each his own.

We drove by there, in their parking lot, just today to see if they ever opened and there was a small line to get in. I'm sure they are limiting the number to 25% of capacity. One more thing to consider is that much of the development this store is the anchor for isn't finished yet. Grandscape or some such. There is a hotel being built that isn't at all even close to complete.

Heck Toyota N. America HQ is also extremely close by and, though I haven't, I think I'd rather tour that.

I'm right there next to you and have been watching the Scheel's go up for what seems like the last year.

And yes, that area is being developed into a destination area. Andretti Karting, some huge theater complex and I heard something like 35 restaurants are going it. The Nebraska Furniture Mart started it all and I believe Warren Buffett owns the land. It will be interesting to see what it looks like when everything is open. When I get back from this trip I'll have to check out Scheel's.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post