SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto Detailing Tips
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto Detailing Tips Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted
I ran across a few things recently that made addressing a few areas on my truck really easy, so I thought we could exchange a few that really work.

White vinegar and steel wool cleans surface rust off exhaust and tail pipes really well. Doesn't require much elbow grease, but if you can let the vinegar soak in for a while it goes even easier. I followed up the tail pipe with a little metal polish as well.

If you struggle to get pet hair out of the carpet or off the upholstery like I do, slip on a pair of rubber gloves, nitrile or latex, and rake the fabric with your fingertips. The pet hair balls right up for easy removal.

Now, if you guys can help me figure a way to really clean the inside of the windshield, I'm all ears.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I believe for a windshield you need one of those tools about 18 inches long or so that let you get to all parts of the glass.

If you have a business in your town that replaces windshields, they most likely will have an aerosol cleaner that they use. I was given such a product by one of these places and it works great I use to be in the car business and our clean up area had such a product also.

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Amazon for both "Invisible Glass" cleaner and the tool.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Deep woods off.....yea the insect repellent works really well for cleaning and making your headlight lens clear again.

Posts: 1578 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Also don't waste the sammich you left under the seat yesterday. Smile

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
my issue has always been streaks left on the inside of a windshield which doesn’t become apparent until you drive at night and headlights from oncoming traffic really make it apparent how much it is streaked...and you can’t see!....I found if I just use windex and paper towels to clean but finish it with drying with one of those micro-fiber towels...it doesn’t leave any streaks.

Posts: 3121 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
The dash on my Tundra is massive, and there's a fair rake to the windshield, so I apparently get a lot of off-gasing from the vinyl due to the heat from UV exposure that clings to the inside of the glass. I can wash it and dry it multiple times with different products and techniques, and all I seem to do is smear it around.

And cgode is right, it can look pretty good until you drive at night or it gets a little humid inside the cabin.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Amazon for both "Invisible Glass" cleaner and the tool.

In spades...

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
The dash on my Tundra is massive, and there's a fair rake to the windshield, so I apparently get a lot of off-gasing from the vinyl due to the heat from UV exposure that clings to the inside of the glass. I can wash it and dry it multiple times with different products and techniques, and all I seem to do is smear it around.

And cgode is right, it can look pretty good until you drive at night or it gets a little humid inside the cabin.

Is that what it is? Both my car and truck have this happen within days of cleaning them.

Posts: 11027 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
my issue has always been streaks left on the inside of a windshield which doesn’t become apparent until you drive at night and headlights from oncoming traffic really make it apparent how much it is streaked...and you can’t see!....I found if I just use windex and paper towels to clean but finish it with drying with one of those micro-fiber towels...it doesn’t leave any streaks.

Either clean the window a second or third time or, clean it more often.

Sounds like your dash is outgassing, a lot

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14042 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I used to use Windex and paper towels, and always dealt with streaking and smudging.

Now I use Meguiars Pure Clarity glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth for the inside of my windows and windshield. No issues with streaking.

You don't have to use a lot. If your cloth starts to get sodden, and the product isn't getting totally wiped off, switch to a drier section or a different cloth.

I also use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the vinyl portions of my interior, which helps minimize UV offgassing.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a windshield my mom always used vinegar and water. Wiped it down with old newspapers. It works really well.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My windshield (and all other windows) are tinted and I’ve always used invisible glass to clean them. It’s tint safe and leaves no residue.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8033 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Your own window solution of water, ammonia, alcohol, and a drop of dish soap. And definitely a squeegee. Cover the dash with old towels and give the glass a good scrubbing.

A truck with a clean, uncluttered interior runs better, Wink And the chicks dig it. Big Grin

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Norwex inviro cloth and then wipe dry with Norwex window cloth. Works PERFECT.
No chemicals needed. You are welcome. You will thank me when you do it, simple too.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J387
posted Hide Post
Triple XXX steel wool with some chrome polish/cleaner will take just about anything off glass, including water spots. You wouldn't want to use this on the inTerior side of the glass though.

Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes

Posts: 407 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://washwax.com/collections/wash-wax-all

Can't recommend this stuff enough. For little effort, it gives great results imo. I'm sure there are several products like it, this one is worth the 38 bucks.

Posts: 3602 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Deep woods off.....yea the insect repellent works really well for cleaning and making your headlight lens clear again.

The DEET will eat plastic and some paint. Is that why it cleans? I'd be very leery of that one.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Your own window solution of water, ammonia, alcohol, and a drop of dish soap. And definitely a squeegee. Cover the dash with old towels and give the glass a good scrubbing.

A truck with a clean, uncluttered interior runs better, Wink And the chicks dig it. Big Grin

Remember - NO AMMONIA on window tint. None.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Scum on the interior windshield: If you sometimes drive with the windows open or the top down, your windshield gets dirty. I first noticed this when I owned a convertible.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post