SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mosquito Misting Units - Do they work?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mosquito Misting Units - Do they work? Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted
Getting tired of getting bit! Mad
Went out this morning ten feet from myback door to my herb garden for about 30 seconds and back in - then the legs starting itching and wala the bites start to swell.
This isn't the first time but damn these bites are irritating.

SO, thinking of adding a Mosquito Misting unit.
Seems they run around $1500 and up depending how many nozzles etc.

Do they work?
How close to a grille?
Any experience to share?

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do not know about misting units. I have a friend that does mosquito control for residential customers. Price is much less for weekly service. The application and the chemicals used are both important. {You do not want to poison yourself in the process}. He does not have a high opinion of these devices or do it yourself approaches.
This guy knows what he is talking about as he worked for Mosquito control and studied entymology.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a mega catch that uses CO2 tanks.

I’m surrounded by bayou and it cuts the population down significantly. Does take a couple breeding cycles each year being broken to see a noticeable decrease. I’m able to sit outside at sunset and not have to coat myself with DEET now. I also spray all the property with the hose end stuff

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6229 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you looking at the backpack units that are basically a leaf blower with a mister?

These are what the Mosquito Joe and other pros use. They spray with a permethrin solution. If you search around you'll find a lot about the mix etc.

I'm considering getting one for our up north property. Good one runs about $300 for the blower and then you have to buy the permethrin concentrate and dilute it down. It's like $20 a bottle.

From what I've read it's important to have the blower and blow it on the underside of leaves as that's where they hang out. If you can get it on those surfaces it's much more effective than a fogger will be.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
He is correct. It also has to be repeated frequently as mosquitoes breed quickly. Having a service is not that costly and beats dealing with pesticides and the necessary cleanup.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
Are you looking at the backpack units that are basically a leaf blower with a mister?

These are what the Mosquito Joe and other pros use. They spray with a permethrin solution. If you search around you'll find a lot about the mix etc.

I'm considering getting one for our up north property. Good one runs about $300 for the blower and then you have to buy the permethrin concentrate and dilute it down. It's like $20 a bottle.

From what I've read it's important to have the blower and blow it on the underside of leaves as that's where they hang out. If you can get it on those surfaces it's much more effective than a fogger will be.

This is true. Backpack misters are much better than the misting units you can have installed on your property( personally I think they are junk). The best backpack mister we use is made by Maruyama. Permethrin is ok but better to use something that is microencapsulated and even better add a sticker like Nufilm. Helps it spread even over vegetation and lasts much longer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5911 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
We have a backpack orchard sprayer, but for suburbia those services are very reasonable.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
It's a little smaller than your looking for but we have a couple of Thermacell's and the hand held will do a 15x15'area and yes it works great.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post