SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The four stooges?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The four stooges? Login/Join 
posted
Watching the stooges and Moe,larry and Shemp were the three. Curly had a role at the end like Hitchcock in his movies. You could have missed him if you were not watching close. Assuming this may have been after his stroke. Any other with the four?

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
We need Bendable to translate.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
He's referring to the tiny, non speaking bit parts Hitchcock would cast himself in, in every movie he made.
I didn't think Curly and Shemp were ever in the same episode. I also wasn't aware that Curly had a stroke until just now.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
All three were in the short “Hold That Lion”. Which also included Larry Fine.

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I really liked the Three Stooges biography movie that came out in 2000. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0214698/

Had Michael Chiklis as Curly, and gets into Curly's stroke and death. Curly loved dogs, he would always take home strays and rehabilitate them so they could be adopted. He is said to have personally saved and rehome over five thousand dogs. That's a good man right there.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
The 'third' stooge was originally Shemp, then Curly, Shemp again, Joe Besser and finally Curly Joe.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Curly was in bad shape after some strokes in 1946 (he died in 1952). He did make cameo appearances in a few shorts during that period. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Palace#Curly_Howard's_cameo In this one his scenes were deleted from the final release. There were, officially, no fourth or Four Stooges.

After Shemp died suddenly in 1955, the filmmakers wanted to use some already shot footage, but needed a double to fill in some scenes, hence "fake Shemp." This has also been used by other filmmakers.

Posts: 28006 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always knew them as Larry, Moe, Curly and sometimes Shemp. I vaguely recall the documentary now, will have to circle back to that.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
nyuck nyuck nyuck
Moe! Larry! cheese!
Sointenly!

After school TV, excellent time, between the 3 Stooges and The Little Rascals and Gilligans Island, The Munsters.

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a silly show but was well done. They had a lot of good one liners I even use myself to this day. I forgot about Besser being in there a while. I didn't care for Curly Joe as he really didn't fit in, in my opinion. I remember hearing/learning that Moe, Shemp and Curly were all brothers. Pretty neat for a family affair.

Posts: 6904 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Shemp also appeared in WC Fields' "the bank dick," as the bartender of the Black Pussycat Cafe.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by festus haggen:
All three were in the short “Hold That Lion”. Which also included Larry Fine.

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
To me The Three Stooges will always be Curly, Moe, and Larry.

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One fact you may not have heard,even though Moe was conciderd the leader of the three,the pay they got was always split up three even ways by Moe.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
6 I think total. Curly and Curly Joe were different, Shemp and then the Joe guy who wasn't in many. I never knew more than 3 were in anything. Interesting.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
So, my wife and I, who are dog lovers, are driving around yesterday and for some reason I mention that I learned on the Sig forum that Curly rescued dogs and such which I never knew... She, who is not even close to a 3 stooges fan, then tells me she knew that..... dern woman has too much info in her brain.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I quit facebook but there is one group on there that I sort of miss seeing. Shemp Instead. They put Shemp in various movie posters and other such things. It's pretty hilarious.

I always liked Curly and Shemp. Shemp is more absurd and Curly more physical. However, they both took a severe, regular beating. Big Grin

Posts: 45393 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Fun fact: Larry Fine was born in Philadelphia at 3rd and South Streets; the house no longer exists today as there is a sports bar (or was) at that corner now.

Sometime in the early-mid 90's they painted this huge mural to acknowledge/honor him. I had drinks there back in the early 2000's and thought that was pretty cool:

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I always thought it was hilarious that Stimpy's voice was based on Larry Fine.

Posts: 45393 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post