Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

July 20th Login/Join 
Picture of Blackmore
posted
So, did you think of either of these anniversaries today?

1944 - von Stauffenberg Hitler bomb plot

1969 - Man walks on the Moon

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3453 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I will be the first to say that sadly I did not as I did not know. Very important events!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I first saw the date an hour ago and went looking for any articles reminding people of the events of this date in 1944.
I’m doing that I was reminded about the moon landing—51 years ago.
Thanks for posting.

If one Is in Berlin, one should visit the Plötzensee Memorial where the brutal executions of those found guilty of plotting against Hitler were carried out—-D filmed for his enjoyment.
I went there as a young man in 1966.

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I remember it every year as Space Day, and still recall the images on my parents’ TV in 1969 a couple of weeks after I returned from Vietnam.

When I was stationed in Germany, I once ran across a memorial reference to one of the anti-Hitler plotter’s being an “Opfer” or sacrifice: I.e., he had had the courage to resist and then was killed for his efforts. At another time, though, I read the insightful observation that if the plotters who ended up on meat hooks and the other officers who didn’t like how things had turned out in the war had resisted Hitler in the beginning, there would have been no need to plot against him a decade later. “Dance with the Devil …” and all that.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The moon walk was originally scheduled to happen on the 21st, not the 20th.

I remember watching on a black & white TV set, waiting for that important event to happen on my birthday as they landed safely.

Then, one of the few times the government/NASA actually did something ahead of schedule, they decided to ruin my day and take the walk right away.

Posts: 9530 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read the insightful observation that if the plotters who ended up on meat hooks and the other officers who didn’t like how things had turned out in the war had resisted Hitler in the beginning, there would have been no need to plot against him a decade later. “Dance with the Devil …”

It's astonishing to read how many top-level German generals talked about getting rid of Hitler but lost their nerve when it came time to shit or get off the pot. Also how early on, such as the takeover of the Sudetenland, the Wehrmacht generals were "ready" to dump Hitler, but then were amazed that he got away with his bluffs due to the weakness of the Allied powers. I'm sure the CCP is following that playbook.

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post