SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snake ID?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snake ID? Login/Join 
posted
We keep seeing this guy in the garage, at first I was thinking it was a water snake, but not so sure. Safe or get rid of it? Dog has been chasing it Smile

We are currently on vacation in Orange Beach Alabama if that helps with the ID. Close to the water.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Copperhead.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My uneducated guess is a young water moccasin. Hard to tell if the head is triangular or not but it looks like a thick chunky body for the size and I've seen pictures of younger smaller moccasins and the have that coloration. They are supposed to get darker with age. If it shows its mouth and it's a pearly white inside stay away. Showing their mouth is the equivalent of a rattler rattling.

Posts: 593 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Agree that is a moccasin. The dark stripe through the eye is a tell. It is not a copperhead. The pattern isn't right.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
edited
Wife posted to snake ID board. COTTONMOUTH was reply.

edited
Struck first sentence based on other replies.

Based on photo, non-venomous. A better pic of head and eye to be sure.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Kill it!

It's a copperhead which has gotten slightly too old for its yellow tail. Copperheads are responsible for the most number of snakebites in the United States. Luckily, their venom is not life-threatening, but it's extremely painful.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
besure to read the snake id
banded water snake.
http://www.snake-removal.com/bandedwatersnake.html

http://ufwildlife.ifas.ufl.edu...ake_comparison.shtml

brown water snake

this thread shows copper head color phases
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...6031561/m/1440065654

copper head banding can vary significantly. a few years back I posted a pic of a melanistic copperhead. Nearly all charcoal grey and black. Here is another variation.

The above shows a northern water snake and a cotton mouth. Just look at banding and tail shape.
this thread shows cotton mouths
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...6031561/m/2210028654

And here is a near perfect marking match.
Juvenile western cotton mouth

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Not a copperhead. Immature cottonmouth

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Kill it!

It's a copperhead which has gotten slightly too old for its yellow tail. Copperheads are responsible for the most number of snakebites in the United States. Luckily, their venom is not life-threatening, but it's extremely painful.

We had a guy die last weekend from a copperhead bite in my area.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Looks a lot like a water moccasin to me. I’d kill it before your dog “catches it”.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
After looking at the pic again, the dark horizontal stripe that goes across it’s eye tells me it’s a water moccasin.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, lots of different options. Looking up pictures of a cottonmouth, this looks pretty close. We have been seeing this one daily, might kill it next go around just in case the dog gets away from us. We have currently been herding it back to the sand. Figured it would help with any mice in the area. Wish I took more pictures of the head to help with ID.

It was a smaller snake, maybe 20-22”.

Looks like this one... cottonmouth

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Round these parts we have a nickname for that breed of snake, "dead".

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Needs a bacon wrap, stuff, and grill.

Posts: 9966 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Personally I would need to see its head better to tell for sure if it is poisonous, but it looks like it. It is definitely not a Copperhead, but it very well may be a Cottonmouth. Both are aggressive poisonous snakes.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Looks like a broad banded water snake to me. A juvenile cottonmouth typically has a green or yellow tail that is distinct from the rest of its pattern. Also, a cottonmouth has a very distinct neck, the body tapering sharply just behind the head and I don't see that with this snake.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
That looks like a bad snake. Bad if you get bit that is. I would kill it if possible. Looks like a cottonmouth to me. I've seen a lot of them fishing and hunting in swamps. If you get a full load, it could be a serious problem, like losing part of or a whole limb or worse. It could be the end of your dog too.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
That snake needs to be gone. Dead. It's definitely a cottonmouth.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Kill it!

We had a guy die last weekend from a copperhead bite in my area.

Yes, I live outside of Birmingham and reports say that the victim had an allergy to the venom and died of anaphylactic shock. Even if you are not allergic to the venom you do NOT want to get bitten by one! I vote kill it!

Posts: 165 | Registered: December 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post