SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need advice from Arizona residents
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice from Arizona residents Login/Join 
posted
I'm down in San Tan Valley and am thinking of taking a different route home than the one I took getting here. Coming here I took I40 into I17 into San Tan Valley. But I'm wondering if there is a better way. Google says to take Highway 60 into 36 to I40. Does anyone here have any knowledge of road conditions of 60 and 36? Is it a one lane in each direction, two lane in each direction? Are there enough towns or places where I could get help if I have a problem with the car? Places to stop for lunch? Is it safe? Is it a winding circuitous route? Or would I be better off going the way I came in which was I17 through Phoenix up to I40? Then again, I'm wondering about taking I10 east to northbound I25. Thanks.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cmon guy! If you can deal with the Dan Ryan- 90/94-or the Eisenhower you can deal with anything that Arizona throws at you.

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
89a through oak creek canyon would be a nice detour. You could also take 260. North, which is a beautiful drive.
Take 87 to 260 to 89a.

If the sideways detour out of Phoenix is too long, take I-17 to 260 to 89a.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
If you decide on any part of RT60 in AZ, make sure you go through the Salt River Canyon. plenty of food, gas, road service along RT 60.

Posts: 1293 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
If you decide on any part of RT60 in AZ, make sure you go through the Salt River Canyon. plenty of food, gas, road service along RT 60.

Yeah, it's a fairly major road.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I use Waze. I put in my ultimate destination then after it's set, I click on the search bar and click on the gas station or restaurant symbols. Waze searches along the route to your destination and tells you how many minutes away from your route the gas stations it found along the way and how far away they are.

It's pretty handy to plan where to stop for gas. I search for Loves as that's my preferred gas station.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
where are you coming from?

i've been in az for almost 40 years, flown most of in a helicopter....not familiar with 36.

93/60 from kingman is a dangerous stretch of road.

salt river canyon is nice but many current fires ne of phoenix.

i've done both but i-40/i-17 would be my choice.

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Or you could take 60 through Arizona and into New Mexico, at Socorro take I-25 North to Albuquerque and pick up I-40

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help. I think I'm going to take Route 60 all the way to I25 or maybe Route 60 to 77 into Holbrook.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Not sure where 'home' is but ... I've driven that route 1-2 times a year for the past seven years. Usually with slight variations.

AZ wildfire map: https://wildlandfire.az.gov/wildfire-situation

Payson - Heber - Snowflake - Conhco - St Johns - Zuni - Ramah - San Rafael is a nice way to get to I-40.

US-60 E to NM-36 N in Quemado. 36 to a right onto NM-117 W, and take that thru El Malpais National Conservation Area. Beautiful area.

Both routes were closed to me my last trip due to fires.

I've driven US-60 from Tempe to Oklahoma. 900+ miles of two-lane bliss. Stop for a fresh burger in Datil.

I-10 E to Las Cruces, to US-70E thru White Sands ... Mmmmmmm

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post