SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cat experts/people, a moment of your time please.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cat experts/people, a moment of your time please. Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted
Haven't really posted much about it, but the girlfirend moved in this past summer, and just prior to that, her cat of 18 years passed.

So, she and her dog moved in and all is well.

But, even with me NOT being a cat person (nothing against them, I just prefer dogs) she talked me into a cat.

We were at the vet, and they had a 5 month old gray tabby kitten for adoption, and we took him home. This was one month ago.

He is a pretty cool cat, plays very well with the dog (a very sweet pit bull) and seems playful and active.

But, in the last week and a half, he is peeing in inappropriate places. He tries to pee in the indoor plants, on a pile of empty trashbags he knocked over onto the floor, and as of today, a pile of folded laundry in a laundry basket...

This is unacceptable.

We have put plastic cutlery (forks/knives) in the plants, put rocks in the base and tried cayenne pepper... doesn't seem to deter him.

We have tried a spray bottle.... He hates it but doens't seem to care past the spray, he comes back.

He has a automatic "catgenie" litter box that self cleans 10 minutes after it detects the cat in it.

Any tips, tricks or other cat-fu that can get this thing to stop pissing in the house (except the box?)

I don't really want to have to give him up, as (don't tell anyone) I've become attached to the little bastard somewhat...

But if he can't quit peeing in the house, he is going to have to be a barn cat, and I don't have a barn...

Kevin

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Can be form one or more of the following...

-Stress, frustrated, cannot find litter-box, or does not like where box is located. (it's a cat thing)

-Urinary Tract infections/issues.
-Needs fresh or "live" water for drinking.

Trying to "speak cat" is more difficult than speaking bendable.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43925 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Some cats do not like certain types of litter media (scent, texture, weight) ect.

Maybe try switching to different kinds.

Cats can be weird. Some cats are super picky.

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Marking his territory? Has he been fixed?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Aluminum foil...cats hate it. Mine was doing exactly that, putting sheets of foil where he pissed or didn’t want them to go solved it.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Marking his territory? Has he been fixed?

Yes, he is fixed.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Can be form one or more of the following...

-Stress, frustrated, cannot find litter-box, or does not like where box is located. (it's a cat thing)

-Urinary Tract infections/issues.
-Needs fresh or "live" water for drinking.

Trying to "speak cat" is more difficult than speaking bendable.

He knows were the box is. He poops in the box just fine, twice a day it seems.

He had a "child gate" barring the dog from going into the downstairs bathroom where the box is, and it has a "kitty door" just large enough to allow him in and keep dog out.

He also has an automatic waterer that keeps the water flowing and fresh, that both the dog and cat seem to have no problem drinking from and both seem to like.

As far as stress, other than the move here, which happened 5 weeks ago and for the first 3 weeks seemed fine, there really isn't any except for the play with the dog. And they ahve played together since day one. Now, Knowing animals there seems to be a "universal "DON"T TOUCH ME" like the cat hissing at the dog, or the dog growling, but they don't seem to do that much. They seem to actually PLAY. The cat sometimes has enough and hides, and the dog sometimes has enough and quits... but it is AMAZING how gentle the pit bull is with the kitten... she let's her ears get bitten, nose boxed, eyes scratched, etc... She could kill the cat with one small chomp but doesn't. And the cat knows it and will cuddle up to the dog and sleep. Hell, the cat gets pissed and meow's at the door when the dog is outside doing her business until the dog come back inside... After a month they are nearly inseparable.

The cat is going to go back to the vet we got him from tomorrow for a check to make sure it isn't a UTI.

After that, I'm looking for ideas. I don't want to be that douchebag that takes an animal in and then gives it up.... But I dont want an animal pissing in the house...

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
That you are asking and looking at everything you can think if, moves "douchebag" to the bottom of the "character" list.

I hope you find an easy and permanent fix to the problem.

And, I certainly understand the "limits".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43925 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's trying to tell you that he has a urinary tract infection and needs to visit the Vet, ASAP.

Several of my cats went through the same thing.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9177 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
He's trying to tell you that he has a urinary tract infection and needs to visit the Vet, ASAP.

Several of my cats went through the same thing.

We have already scheduled the vet visit for tomorrow ( or later today for those on normal people time)

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
That you are asking and looking at everything you can think if, moves "douchebag" to the bottom of the "character" list.

I hope you find an easy and permanent fix to the problem.

And, I certainly understand the "limits".

Thanks, I want the cat to work out because he is actually kind of cool, he makes my GF happy, especially since she is more of a cat person, and her dog seems to love me (more)...

I don't want to have to get rid of the cat... I just want to be able to teach him how to "cat"

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Make sure you let us know how it all works out! There seem to be an infinite number of things that can get a cat started peeing outside the litter box, and diagnosing and fixing the problem can be mind boggling at best!

I’ve had cats my entire 58 years on this planet, so am well versed in their quirkiness! It takes time, brother... it takes time. But in the end I feel they are 100% worth it, so hang in there!

Posts: 4605 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My little buddy Black started peeing in the house after we had him for two years. We took him to the vet, they scraped out his pecker and removed a blockage. He forms crystals in his urinary tract. He now eats special prescription cat food and it's never been a problem since. Luckily our problem was super easy to solve, hopefully yours is too.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yea, male cats and crystals. I have had cats (and dogs you haters lol) since I was a kid. They were all female until a few years ago. Then I found out about crystals. It can kill your cat and cause the symptoms described above.

Basically the fix is plenty of water, wet cat food and prescription cat food. It is stupid. You literally need a prescription to buy this seriously expensive dry cat food. It is a total scam but I haven't found a cheaper work around. Good news is, between the prescription cat food and one can of wet, the big male has never again had a problem. (first time almost killed him and cost me nearly 2k)

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

You literally need a prescription to buy this seriously expensive dry cat food. It is a total scam but I haven't found a cheaper work around.
I do not know about cat food, but when Pippi needed prescription dog food, I assumed that it would be most expensive at the vet, so I took a copy of the prescription and went shopping.

Several of the discount pet supply stores in the area did not carry the food.

PetSmart had it, at five bucks / bag more than the vet was selling it for.

It turned out that the vet office where Pippi was examined and the food prescribed, was the lowest cost and least hassle of any place to get that food.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Is it possible the automatic cat box might have activated the cleaning cycle while he was still using it? Once bitten, twice shy. Consider supplementing it with a non-auto box, and see if he finds that more to his liking.

Some of my cat.friends have three or four boxes in their homes, esp. the ones with multiple cats.

Posts: 6511 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
we had one that was sensitive to which litter type we used.

Also the UTI has been an issue in the past with another cat...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will also add on the litter box front. They are extremely sensitive to what they like and don't like. Litter type, location of box, etc.

Try some different litters. Maybe add a second box in a different location. Try a bigger box. Our big male was cramped in the litter box and took to crapping just outside of it. Good times.

We fixed that problem by using an old Rubbermaid bin that we had lying around. Watched a youtube video that gave us the idea. Basically used a dremel to cut out a shallow U in the side and the litter box became a lot bigger than the litter boxed they sell. Worked like a charm.

Cats are the definition of finicky. Good luck.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Also consider that there may be a new cat or raccoon or fox etc that is outside your house causing the cat to mark inside your house.

Happend to our cat.

Good luck!

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5136 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:...
I don't want to have to get rid of the cat... I just want to be able to teach him how to "cat"

Show him your badge.