SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cat experts/people, a moment of your time please.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cat experts/people, a moment of your time please. Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Mine was just marking his territory. He grew out of it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
... I just want to be able to teach him how to "cat"

As odd as it sounds, when I was a kid, we got a kitten that was likely taken from her mother too early. She honestly didn't know how to "cat" until new neighbors moved in next door that had an older fixed male cat. Being that they were both outdoor cats (it was the 80's) they hung out, got along, and she eventually learned how to "cat" and got pretty darn good at it as such things can be judged.

She was still fairly psycho, but hey...Siamese...it happens.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
As already said, UTI and possibly not liking the litter. Went through this with the wife's 5 cats

Posts: 5351 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
He has a automatic "catgenie" litter box that self cleans 10 minutes after it detects the cat in it.

If you are able to rule out anything physical, try getting two regular litter boxes and do not put any top on them.

Scoop whenever there is anything in the boxes. That may mean you scoop several times a day, but so what. You already have poop bags for the dogs. You can use the same bags for the cat litter.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
As already said, UTI and possibly not liking the litter. Went through this with the wife's 5 cats

Those would be my best guesses, too.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
We bought a couple of these as well, they work great. I pull them out when they have been places where they are not supposed to be.

https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe...s&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

Posts: 5351 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
He has a automatic "catgenie" litter box that self cleans 10 minutes after it detects the cat in it.

Cats are exceedingly clean animals. Ever since I retired, litter box cleaning duty has become mine. I know what it takes to maintain a clean litter box. I find it hard to believe one of those automatic things could possibly do an adequate job. Coupled with its mechanical action, I suspect the litter box is the problem.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
My cats absolutely hate the automatic boxes and refuse to use them. His instinct to bury his poop may override his dislike enough to use it for that but not enough for pee. Or it’s a uti. I’ve got a dog that went from would not pee in the house under any circumstances to peeing on the bed right in front of me when she got one.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An easy test may be to get any container you know the cat can fit into, fill the bottom with an inch or two of litter and set it next to the catgenie thing.

If the cat uses it then you may have solved your problem.

You may also want to find the plainest, clumping cat litter you can find. No scents. No baking power.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
There is also the approach of retribution.

Every time he pees on something, find him and pee on him.

I do think this approach hasn't been thought through well enough.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
One thing to do is to remove the scent from where he's been peeing. They use the scent as an "OK, this is the spot" signal.

Find something at the pet store that has the specific enzyme that neutralizes cat urine scent.
"Nature's Miracle" for cats does very well - not sure how widely sold that one is, but your pet store should have one or more choices.

If you get the past places, and keep up with any new ones, eventually this 'pee-here' scent signal will go away, except in the litter box.

It won't fix any health-related issues, and it won't re-gruntle a disgruntled cat, but at least he won't be doing it on autopilot.

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
He probably does have FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract disease) or FUS (feline urologic syndrome), or whatever new name the newest generation of vets calls feline sterile cystitis. Whatever they call it, it isn't so much fun.

Another thought, though, is that if you're seeing any outdoor cats that come around your place, he could be marking in reaction to their presence. Cats are generally extremely territorial, and will go to great lengths to let it be known whose turf it is. Even if you aren't seeing them, maybe a motion activated camera outside would shed some light on the matter?

Lastly, you might get a few Feliway dispensers. They kinda calm the kitteh and make him not wanna spray pee all over God's creation.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Add another, open cat box. Keep it pristine. My young male started this. He just didn’t like covered cat boxes.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any updates since the Vet trip, Kevin?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9177 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
I tamed a feral kitten that has grown into a great indoor cat. He didn't understand the whole peeing in the litter thing; never had a problem pooping in the box. He had always peed in the flower bed in the dirt and pine bark. Soooo, i went outside and filled a walmart sack half full with leaves, pine bark and dirt. Mixed it in with his litter. Dumped it on top of his litter and mixed it in a bit with the scoop. Little shit hopped right in and took a leak. Over the next week or two, the bark and leaves got strained out as I scooped the box. No problems since using just plain litter.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post