SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Check the comet out. The size is impressive!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Check the comet out. The size is impressive! Login/Join 
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3447 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
That will do Bald1

Eh? What? Confused. Puzzled... Roll Eyes Eek

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
your explanation of where to look is a good one. Might need to be a bit darker out. Later that is.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Gonna give it a go with some binoculars in about a half hour following this advice:

"Start looking about 1 hour after sunset, when you'll find it just over the northwestern horizon as the last of twilight fades into darkness," the editors of Sky & Telescope said in a news release. "Look about three fists below the bottom of the Big Dipper, which is hanging down by its handle high above, and from there perhaps a little to the right."

Saw the comet tonight starting about 9:45PM from 4900' elevation, per Bald1 directions. Very impressive through 12X50 binoculars, but visible with the naked eye.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
Saw the comet tonight starting about 9:45PM from 4900' elevation, per Bald1 directions. Very impressive through 12X50 binoculars, but visible with the naked eye.

Glad you had success Jim. Not willing to leave the house I found the distant neighborhood trees and slight hill to the northwest blocking my ability to view the comet. Maybe when it is higher in the sky.... <sigh>.

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
your explanation of where to look is a good one. Might need to be a bit darker out. Later that is.

Appreciate the clarification but honestly what you originally posted ("That will do Bald1") didn't convey any of that to me. Sounded more like an admonishment. Sorry.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
My wife and I viewed it tonight on our walk. We will continue viewing it each night, weather permitting, until we can’t.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1175 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
pretty sure I'm too close to the mountains to both the north and east. I may have to venture out a bit into the valley to see it one of these next days.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
anyone remember seeing Comet Kohoutek.
?
back in ....."73"

and Hale Bopp in "97"

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
saw them both

unfortunately its been serious overcast here the past week so its been blocked from view

hope we get at least one clear evening before it fades

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
going to try to see the darn thing tonight. wish me luck.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43884 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
?
back in ....."73"

and Hale Bopp in "97"
No, but I do recall seeing Halley's at its last passage.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
?
back in ....."73"

Remember, that was named after Principal Kohoutek.

Classic Simpsons reference there.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Finally had a window between the clouds to see this comet last night. I watched it with a pair of 8x42 binoculars. The width of the tail is impressive.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stupid big city light pollution, ruins every thing.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Aren't we supposed to sacrifice something?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Went out to see it tonight. Probably would try a different location next time, but we saw it. Hale Bopp is was not, but neat nonetheless.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
actually had some dark sky last night with little cloud cover to the north over Mt. Lemmon

unfortunately the comet is below the horizon from my location unless I want to drive up into the valley - that may happen if its still mostly hidden by the 22nd.

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]No, but I do recall seeing Halley's at its last passage.

flashguy[/QUOTE]

Despite living very much in the country then, we had to drive around to a good viewspot to see Halley's comet. On the way back home, we stopped to rescue what proved to be a wounded Great Horned Owl, that had apparently dived into a car windshield. Got it the next day to a rescue facility. Holding it by the thighs staring into its wideWIDE open eyes I got some slight notion of what 'atomic power' must feel like.

Haven't been able to spot this comet yet.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night well after sunset. Just above the mountains north of us. 325 degrees on the compass.

Impressive!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post