SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Check the comet out. The size is impressive!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Check the comet out. The size is impressive! Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Looking at the comet tonite. 3 miles across. Even from earth the thing is impressive. Amazing really.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Even from earth the thing is impressive.
Sorry, which planet are you on? Confused

PS- what comet, man? I'm in my bedroom. Can I see it from here?

Why was I not informed?

I have more questions but that'll do for now.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107597 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
He's talking about comet NEOWISE, visible at dawn and early evening to some. It was discovered only in March. It may remain visible to the naked eye throughout most of July 2020, appearing low to the northeast horizon.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I think Boss knew about "the comet". But the red one is real beauty.

This comet really has my attention. Very impressive imho. Huge tail and really speeding across the sky.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The wife and I checked it out tonight. A pair of binoculars really improves the view. Really cool

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
tried a few times but no luck here on the east coast,

too many trees in my area, hard to get a good view,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
ISS has some good videos of it from orbit.

Starts at about 5:30 (halfway through)

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Found it for the first time last night.

Even with binoculars it's still faint but once you know how and where to look, and what to look for, it's pretty easy to find.

Really damn cool!

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night flying from Orlando back to Memphis. Pretty cool view from 34,000 feet, but it wasn't as bright as I would have thought. Still cool to see.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Comet NEOWISE will be closest to Earth on July 22-23, 2020. It will pass at some 64 million miles (103 million km) from our planet. The good news is that – if the comet continues looking great – the view during the night of closest approach should be nice for many of us at temperate latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere. Although binoculars are required for the celestial visitor, it will be visible at the same time we see a beautiful crescent (not too bright) moon.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
As Balze mentioned if you have bino's they really help. I used my 10x and that made a huge difference.

We recently acquired a meade tele that we are trying to use. The view was not like I thought it would be so have more work to figure it out.

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I'm not too concerned about comets moving away from us, it's the ones heading this way that bother me more.

Posts: 11324 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Who's week was it to notify Para about cataclysmic astrological events like falling space debris, comets and asteroids?

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Does it move too fast to track with an unassisted manual telescope?

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Oz, no I would say not.

posted Hide Post
it landed in this guys kitchen Eek Eek

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Why was I not informed?

Sorry Boss, this one wasn't yours. Way too far away, and wasn't going to do any damage at all, just look pretty. So we didn't want to bother you.

We'll give you a holler when yours in on the way.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8348 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Gonna give it a go with some binoculars in about a half hour following this advice:

"Start looking about 1 hour after sunset, when you'll find it just over the northwestern horizon as the last of twilight fades into darkness," the editors of Sky & Telescope said in a news release. "Look about three fists below the bottom of the Big Dipper, which is hanging down by its handle high above, and from there perhaps a little to the right."

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
That will do Bald1