SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much should the Chief Executive of the NRA make?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much should the Chief Executive of the NRA make? Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Something just north of what other similar organizations pay. The NRA has been the premier gun rights organization for ages, and they should be paying their executives to reflect that.

What they are actually paying them however seems to be truly insane, and totally disconnected from other organizations. It's not just the salary however, it's that they seem to have used the NRA coffers as a slush fund for whatever the hell they wanted really, not just targeted at preserving our rights like they should have been.
The link I shared earlier has tabs that are interesting for those of us who find statistics interesting.

Non-profit CEO Salary + Bonus:
  • Median - $304k
  • 75th percentile - $474k
  • 90th percentile - $628k

It's insane that Wayne lost members, lost election swaying muscle (i.e. elected official can't get re-elected in most states if we give you a low grade), rested on its 1990s successes (i.e. quit leading gun rights battles), etc. but was paid well above the 90th percentile of non-profit CEOs.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23298 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Charity Navigator might be a good place to see how other advocacy groups compensate executives.

Silent

Posts: 1027 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Sigforum K9 handler
    Picture of jljones
    posted Hide Post
    I want the dude that’s paid in the 90th percentile. I want the dude that’s at the top of his game. I don’t want to go shopping at the Dollar Store for those who will lead the fight. I hear this argument about cops and others constantly. If I have catastrophic health issues, I want the top doctors in the area of specialty. I don’t want the guy that is set by price controls of what others think he should make.

There is a big difference between compensation/performance and compensation/stagnation. I doubt groups that want to take our Rights are buying cheap.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jljones:
    I want the dude that’s paid in the 90th percentile. I want the dude that’s at the top of his game. I don’t want to go shopping at the Dollar Store for those who will lead the fight. I hear this argument about cops and others constantly. If I have catastrophic health issues, I want the top doctors in the area of specialty. I don’t want the guy that is set by price controls of what others think he should make.

There is a big difference between compensation/performance and compensation/stagnation.

Ditto,

You won't get a top tier person that has the moxie, brains, drive and contacts for $200K. Hell starting CS jobs at my wife's company are now $50K plus plus plus.

Posts: 23516 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Maybe a starting ‘probationary’ salary of ~$200K - $250K can be established, and then once very specific goals and objectives are met and hopefully exceeded in the first year or two, appropriate and pre-determined salary increases would be made to ensure that the top-tier leadership can be retained.

Posts: 3489 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    We’ve supported for several years now Samaritan’s Purse. The CEO is Franklin Graham who will be paid just shy of $800,000 dollars this year, with the next 4 company officers making more than $300,000 per year.

Samaritan’s Purse consistently earns a 4 star 100% rating from Charity Navigators (if memory serves, the largest independent charity rating service); retains enough cash on hand to operate for almost 2 years; spends 6 cents for every dollar raised; 85% of revenue goes towards program expenses, with the remaining 15% divided between admin and fund raising expense; and finally, it’s books are open.

We are totally comfortable with the salaries paid to the leaders of Samaritan’s Purse. We know where the money goes and that the board of directors has real power, does not receive an income from the organization, and is not filled with CEO groupies.

The idea behind some of the NRA executive perks make sense to me, but the excesses are more than a bit troubling to outright theft-like behaviors. Does it make sense for the head of the NRA to fly private? I think so. Can you imagine the security nightmare having the head of the NRA walk the terminal to board a commercial flight? But this should never have been granted to other members of his extended family. Nor should private flights be provided for him or for members of his family for vacations.

GQ reported that WLP spent approximately $300,000 on Zegna suits (no idea what type of suits these are, but they must be nice). Would it ever make sense for visual reasons to provide clothing? Perhaps, but not for the executives. Not ever.

Personally, I’m ok with paying well for leadership as long as the leader is held to account with clear and strict rules for expenses and that he/she operates under the direction of a small and active independent board of directors who keep the books open.

Silent

Posts: 1027 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Optimistic Cynic
    Picture of architect
    posted Hide Post
    I would say, just off the top of my head, about $600K including all benefits and bonuses.

What I'd really like to see is an upper limit of a multiplier tied to the lowest-paid full-time employee, perhaps 20x, but with some effort to establish relative values to an organization's mission.

Posts: 6495 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Seeker of Clarity
    Picture of r0gue
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by holdem:
    quote:
    Originally posted by iron chef:

In 2022, Executive Compensation and Other Salaries & Wages accounted for 17.7% of total expenses.

That is an eye popping number for me, 17.7% of expenses.

His salary was very high. But he was incredibly tenured (connected). Assuming all other things in performance of the org were acceptable, that's probably not even a problem.

THIS, however, is an appalling abuse. It would not stand in ANY other not for profit org that I am aware of. Where is the board in all of this?

I would suggest the board should be unpaid. Pay the next exec a shit ton with the goal of rebuilding a top quality volunteer board of patriot gun owners. The rest will solve itself.

Posts: 11393 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Udo
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum:
    You buy your own fucking suits.

I hung my hat on this thought

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    The salaries of executives of non profits have always bothered me. Yes they are a CEO fine. Go work at a for profit if you want that money. And since there is no stock options it’s all cash compensation. If you want to be a good deed doer the. That’s the penance. You don’t get to make an obscene salary off the back of donors.

And I say this as a life member I got when they used to have sales on those. I don’t give them additional money.

Posts: 4778 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Just because you can,
    doesn't mean you should
    posted Hide Post
    WLP's problem is his perks, just as much as his salary.
    His official salary was about $986,000 but perks/benefits and what he probably sprinkled around to other friends, family, and associates was likely much more.

Posts: 9530 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of OttoSig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum:
    Then the greedy bastard can fucking go elsewhere. We need someone in that position who puts the American gun owner first.

This is my opinion also, SOME positions need to be for the love of something, NOT the money.

The person in that position needs to be driven by passion, not elevating themselves somehow.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6335 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get Off My Lawn
    Picture of oddball
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I want the dude that’s paid in the 90th percentile. I want the dude that’s at the top of his game.

Problem with this is that LaPierre proved he is not top tier. He ain't Elon Musk, Michael Jordan, Donald Trump, Steve Jobs, etc. He is more like a corrupt lifer politician, gorging himself at the trough of taxpayers/members.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16717 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Hell a YouTube blogger like Colin Noir would be better than WLP. WLP was terrible making speeches and always resorted to hyperbole and more often made an idiot of himself instead of reasoned factual but still aggressive responses that counter the leftist media narratives.

Also need someone that can manage a business so someone like Rangaswamy would fit.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Sound and Fury
    Picture of Dallas239
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

There is a big difference between compensation/performance and compensation/stagnation. I doubt groups that want to take our Rights are buying cheap.

This.

The NRA is not the "median non-profit" and I don't want it to behave like it is. Hire the guy who's worth $2 million a year and pay him that. I don't care if he's doing it for money or principles as long as he gets the job done.

The problem with Wayne wasn't how much he was paid; it was that he wasn't earning it.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
    There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
    Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post