SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I nearly shot my daughter...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I nearly shot my daughter... Login/Join 
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
From now on, My kids if, and when they visit, will:

Yell, "hello. it's ""!" They will do so until my wife or I respond.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Maybe a chain door latch? That way they have to holler if you are home (and latched)

Posts: 17927 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:

turn the phones on...if you needed to call 911 do you want to have to wait for the phone to boot up.
His phones were not turned off. They were using the "Do Not Disturb" setting. In this mode the phones are fully functional except that they do not ring for incoming calls.

There is no "wait for the phone to boot up." All outgoing calls, including calls to 911, work just fine.

Think of an old fashioned phone with the ringer turned off at bed time. That is essentially what the "Do Not Disturb" setting does on the OP's phones.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30854 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
… pointing a loaded gun at a family member is not right.

At what turned out to be a family member. This was not known at the time.

Any gun with a WML points where the light does. (An argument often made against them, but there are counter-arguments for them as well.) Should we not use them, then?

Posts: 28095 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I don't think you did anything wrong here. IMO you did everything right. Smile Who wouldn't investigate unexpected noise in the middle of the night? You didn't have your finger on the trigger of the gun and you identified the target with the aid of a light and the visual cue of the dog's behavior. Arguably, you could have set up the identification protocol for an unannounced visit earlier, but you know what they say about hindsight.

My thoughts as well. Lucky, yes, but that was a result of proper protocol.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
2 things

get a flashlight and tell your daughter to call next time. even if it is 130 in the morning!!!

No shit. Hand-held flashlight is right next to the HD pistol.

Anyone who shows up at 130am unannounced can expect a drawn pistol at my side and 1000 lumens to their eyes until I know who they are.

I don't see why you are freaking out though - you didn't fire (and shouldn't have had your trigger on the finger) until you identified the target as someone in need of shooting.

Obviously your big error is using a WML flashlight as a searching tool. Get a handheld and use that.

Even then, in a pinch sweeping an unidentified person with a WML to ID isn't a huge deal.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
a flashlight not a weapon light!!!

Not certain of your point.

quote:
and turn the phones on...if you needed to call 911 do you want to have to wait for the phone to boot up.

They had them on Do Not Disturb, not turned off.

quote:
egregore....pointing a loaded gun at a family member is not right.

He did not know it was a family member until he activated his weapon light.

I will add this: I was never a believer in WMLs, until one time a story was posted here about somebody who'd shot and killed a family member in the dark. If only he'd had a WML. Or used a flashlight. Para commented he wouldn't have a home defence weapon without a WML. I scoffed to myself at the time, but the thought stuck. Both the AR I later built and the P320 I later bought for HD have WMLs on them and I wouldn't have it otherwise.

quote:
IMHO code words seem like an unnecessary complication.

Agreed.

I understand your feelings, Dreamerx4, but I agree with many others: I think you did well and should have nothing to regret.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, there is also proper use of a WML to consider...you can activate the light at the low ready (not be pointing at anyone) and still ID the target.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I like my WML, it gives me somewhere to put my finger on the switch other than the trigger. If it is something bad, I have a good two handed grip on it for a more secured shot.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10738 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Well, there is also proper use of a WML to consider...you can activate the light at the low ready (not be pointing at anyone) and still ID the target.

And it won't wipe out your night vision nearly as badly.

However: Then you also lose the (potential) target startlement factor.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I've told this story before so I'll repeat it briefly here. In the early years of rails and weapon lights I dismissed them as 'tacticool' devices for wannabees. One early morning, my eldest snuck out of the house to hang with friends. On his return he snuck back in but went for the refrigerator.......because pot. I heard the noises and 'knowing' everyone was in bed and accounted for, I stalked to intruder with a 2340 in the dark. Gun presented and ready to fire, I had the presence of mind to hit the lights with my elbow. It was my son standing there with the milk jug.

I went out and bought a weapon light and adaptor because The image of Jr DF #1 frozen in my sight picture is etched in my mind forever. Incidentally, light from a weapon light can be cast without painting the target directly...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29772 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
As others have already said, you did everything right, and nothing wrong. There is a good reason shooters are trained not to put a finger on the trigger until they are ready to destroy a target. You were given the time to mentally process the information and avoid a tragedy. Kudos.

My house layout is somewhat different than yours I'm sure. All the family members are upstairs, and the three alarm pads in the house automatically chime when any single entry point is breached. In my position, I have the time and cover to safely make a verbal challenge without endangering anyone living in the home. That is always an option if it does not put your family at risk, and would avoid even lighting up your daughter.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15673 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Very glad it worked out. Our older Son just turned 22, would come home at wee hours from college occasionally. Most of the time we knew it was likely to happen.

We live in a lower likelihood of intrusion neighborhood. Other than that our German Shepherd makes sure no one will be sleeping if a stranger comes near the house.

I’m more inclined to think a surprise visitor here is a family member. A few years back near Chicago a current or former Law Officer shot his own Son when he came by late one night.

I also like the idea of a flashlight not attached to a gun, though I have nothing against gun mounted lights.

Posts: 6219 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamerx4:

They're adults. They can understand simple instructions like "do not walk into my house unless you have spoken to us or gotten a text in reply that we got the message you are coming."

That's a scary encounter.

You might also consider setting your alarm to "instant" when you're in the house rather than normal arming.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12482 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is exactly what we've told our kids.

Wife and I are alone and unless it's an urgent or emergency reason, there's no reason for any of them to come over. They all have keys to the house but with the key, they've been told, there comes one rule with the highest degree of responsibility.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14056 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
you know, with LED bulbs you can leave a few lights on, like permanently

Posts: 8157 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
Nausea was a pure adrenalin dump. It's very common following a true adrenalin rush.

You instinctively did the right thing, since everything turned out well.

On a different note: A separate light does help, but addressing some of the comments regarding pointing any weapon or light up, its current practice in CQB to aim in the direction of the intruder - anything pointing up or in another direction (other than at the intruder) is providing ambient light which reveals your position clearer than pointing directly at the intruder. Lights nowadays, regardless if they are WM or not, tend to blind or confuse, not provide an intruder with a reference point to shoot, especially within the few seconds the SHTF.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

They're adults. They can understand simple instructions like "do not walk into my house unless you have spoken to us or gotten a text in reply that we got the message you are coming."

That's a scary encounter.

You might also consider setting your alarm to "instant" when you're in the house rather than normal arming.

I don't have it set to immediate, because honestly I and my wife forget often to disable it before we let our dog out in the am. It is already a rush to turn it off when that happens.

We use simplisafe, and if memory serves, the motion detectors don't work in the home setting... so we set it for away, which has the delay...so you can come home, open door, and turn off alarm...

Need to look into this, it was goofy, and I honestly don't remember.

Something others can learn from this.

Thanks!

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
2 things

get a flashlight and tell your daughter to call next time. even if it is 130 in the morning!!!

No shit. Hand-held flashlight is right next to the HD pistol.

Anyone who shows up at 130am unannounced can expect a drawn pistol at my side and 1000 lumens to their eyes until I know who they are.

I don't see why you are freaking out though - you didn't fire (and shouldn't have had your trigger on the finger) until you identified the target as someone in need of shooting.

Obviously your big error is using a WML flashlight as a searching tool. Get a handheld and use that.

Even then, in a pinch sweeping an unidentified person with a WML to ID isn't a huge deal.

Because of lighting at night in my house I choose not to use a WML but have a flashlight on my nightstand next to my handgun. It’s 9000 lumens so it will light up most of my house if needed. Nobody comes into my house without me knowing,not my daughter not my wife but I realize that doesn’t work for everyone. I can understand what the OP went through and I’d probably react the same way.

Posts: 4152 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
lots of good advice and assurance, thanks!

I could not post on Saturday, it bothered me tremendously. Has taken awhile to get back on track.

Thoughts of what if's poured in and were honestly pretty overwhelming.

No training prepared me for that.

I have been in emergency situations, life and death. Military and an EMT. Experienced some pretty gnarly things in my life.

The thought of harming my daughter, or any loved one... like nothing else I have felt. I can't overstate enough, how close I was. I did most things right, and it still ALMOST went sideways.

Identifying themselves seems so "duh".

Empty nest, coming and going for years of high school and college. Expecting that, growing complacent with that, I don't know. Will do from now on!

I KNEW no one was coming, even with things that should have helped that conclusion, dog relaxed, alarm not sounding. She turned it off, and back on, so the beeping in the same during the delay... Just all added to the confusion.

I have mentally prepared to yell expletives in the instance, I didn't, I yelled my daughters name. It was instantaneous.

Hope this helps others, and saves you from the same feeling.