SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fire extinguisher - is this a problem?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fire extinguisher - is this a problem? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
A few weeks ago, my daughter's car caught on fire, so we bought a small Kidde Auto/Marina fire extinguisher for her. I'm not experienced with fire extinguishers, but this one doesn't seem right to me. The pin is under no tension at all, and if you tip the extinguisher upside down, the pin simply falls out. To me, it should be somewhat hard to remove. If she puts this in her car, the pin will probably fall out, and you can imagine the rest.

Is this how it's supposed to work? Or is this a defective unit?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The little ones I have seen have a plastic pin with a sort of expanded, flared head that can be pushed into place, but which cannot be withdrawn without breaking the pin, which is what is intended. You break the pin to remove it.

It does not seem that the pin should be so easy to remove.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
The pin should have a "keeper" usually a a plastic tab or finely beaded plastic string that breaks away. You don't want it to bump something and have it go off inside the vehicle.

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Something like this - https://www.grainger.com/produ...er-Tamper-Seal-3YWF1

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Yup. I bought a 5lb Amerex for the kitchen a few months ago and when it arrived the tamper seal was broken from shipping (glad it didn't go off lol). Looking around on Amazon I bought a 100 pack for like $5-10 (can't remember). Called "pull-tite" seals or something.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all. That's what I suspected.
Back to WalMart it goes!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not a problem for me at all
replaced the straight pin with this
.16 cents

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Put the pin pack in. Slightly bend it at the end so it wont just fall out, but it will still be pretty easy to pull out. Done. No need to return.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
This leads me to a recent story.

It was time to replace the fire extinguisher in the boat. So, Home Depot has these cute White Marine Fire Extinguishers. I pick on up and take it to the boat. To carry it and the usual load of crap from the truck down the slip to the boat, I place it carefully, still NIB, in a five gallon bucket. Wife shows up the next day and I have the bucket down in the cabin with all the stuff in it. She decides she needs to use the bucket to do some cleaning so she grabs the FE box by the end and picks it up. Now, mind you, the cabin is closed up and the AC is running - confined area. Turns out, that when I put the box in the bucket, I put it in there top side down. Well, when she picks it up, the box top opens, the FE comes sliding out of the box, that cheap-ass pin breaks, handle depresses, and she's now a fire fighter! Took her a second or two to realize what the thing was and what had just happened and to get it stopped. So, FE overspray everywhere but good that it was somewhat contained in the bucket. When I came back to the boat, boy did I hear about it! Could not help but laugh though! So, she got her wish, cleaned the whole inside of the boat, floor to ceiling that day and more thoroughly than she probably would have otherwise! So, be careful with those cheap plastic pins.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just checked both of my FE's, and the safety pin is free to fall out of either. One FE is a First Alert of indeterminate age, the other a Kidde that I got as a result of the recent recall.

I put a rubber band on both pins, then to the handles. It's tight enough to keep them in place, but loose enough that it won't impede pulling them in case we need them.

Back when I was racing and required to carry a Type ABC in the car, I know the pin wouldn't fall out on its own, but I don't remember what retained it, since it was so many years ago. I guess things have changed.

By the way, has everybody received their replacement Kidde bottles? I remember a couple SF members had not, as of the last post some months back.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9161 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a firefighter but be aware that the small extinguishers are pretty limited in what they can do. Think of it as a .22 short revolver for concealed carry. As a high school shop teacher, I got involved in an under hood car fire in the student parking lot and drained a 10 pound unit and a part of a second 10 pound unit before the fire was extinguished. However a small unit is better than no unit. On the extinguisher you purchased, someone may have pulled the pin on it in the store and destroyed the one time use retainer. No it should not come out easily.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure there was a recall on Kidde brand fire extinguishers, can't post the link.

Posts: 1559 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Thanks ZS

Posts: 1559 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post