SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How Long Can Frozen Fish Be Kept?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Long Can Frozen Fish Be Kept? Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
Another post about eating fish brought the following question to mind...

A few days ago I found a package of sea bass in the freezer that I didn't remember being in there, and it was sealed and frozen in 2020. I haven't thrown it out because I wanted to see how something like that can be kept before it "goes bad", despite being well sealed and deeply frozen?

Any feedback on this before I toss something that is still good would be appreciated!

Posts: 4590 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Frozen?

Let it go...

I think two years may be a bit much.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
My brother freezes his fish in water - not sure if it’s tap, or he adds salt, and it seems to keep very well…

Is it vacuum packed?

Chest freezer or frost free?

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
If it's vacuum sealed then it's likely okay. If not it will be freezer burned beyond saving.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
To answer a few questions...

Frozen in water in heavy duty Ziploc bags, NOT vacuum sealed as that would have sucked out the water. Also, in a frost-free freezer, not a chest freezer...

Posts: 4590 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thaw it out and check out the texture.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Old Turkey:

Around Thanksgiving a few years ago, radio commentator Paul Harvey shared a true story of a woman and her frozen Thanksgiving turkey.

The Butterball Turkey Company set up a telephone hotline to answer consumer questions about preparing holiday turkeys. One woman called to inquire about cooking a turkey that had been in the bottom of her freezer for 23 years. That's right—23 years. The Butterball representative told her the turkey would probably be safe to eat if the freezer had been kept below zero for the entire 23 years. But the Butterball representative warned her that even if the turkey was safe to eat, the flavor would probably have deteriorated to such a degree that she would not recommend eating it.

The caller replied, "That's what I thought. We'll give the turkey to our church."

Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sea bass I like to eat it sooner than later vs other fish such as Salmon, halibut, cod, etc. Sea bass seems to not be as good to prolonged storage as others. I like sea bass. Really good if not over cooked and eaten with six or eight months from being caught. I recent caught some and have eaten it twice and was delicious.

I would try it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
To answer a few questions...

Frozen in water in heavy duty Ziploc bags, NOT vacuum sealed as that would have sucked out the water. Also, in a frost-free freezer, not a chest freezer...

As in completely submerged in water and frozen? As far as I know, that's probably the best way to freeze fish. I'd just thaw it and check the texture/smell of the fish. If it's off, toss it.

Posts: 435 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
As far as safety goes, doesn't seem like there would be any concerns as long as it has remained frozen. The texture and flavor may have deteriorated, depending on how well it was packaged and stood up to freezer burn.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3515 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
As far as safety goes, doesn't seem like there would be any concerns as long as it has remained frozen. The texture and flavor may have deteriorated, depending on how well it was packaged and stood up to freezer burn.

That would be my opinion also. I'd defrost it, cook and eat it as long as it doesn't smell bad.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Given the price of sea bass, I'd give it a shot.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38690 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post