SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Waste Kang - Is More Better??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waste Kang - Is More Better?? Login/Join 
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
We recently replaced ours and after comparing reviews we went with the InSinkErator Evolution Excel 1.0 HP. The thing is quiet and will chew up a bowling ball if you need to.

Highly recommend.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
We recently replaced ours and after comparing reviews we went with the InSinkErator Evolution Excel 1.0 HP. The thing is quiet and will chew up a bowling ball if you need to.

Highly recommend.
It should be as it's 2.5x the cost of the 1hp Waste Kang I linked earlier in the thread.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23269 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I'd go with higher HP than that. I have no experience with Waste Kangs, but they get high reviews here.

I bought 2, 1 1/4HP American Standard disposals at Costco on sale for $70 about 2 years ago for 2 different rental properties. They have an all stainless steel body and stainless guts. Costco still sells them. They have been flawless, and haven't had a single issue with them. The crappy badger ones from HD or Lowe's were only lasting 2-3 years.

I purchased an American standard as well for my recent replacement. Works like a charm, but takes up as much space as a waste kang. Go with a similar priced insinkerator if you don't have much room under the sink.

Was disappointed with the build quality of the most recent waste king disposals. They've lowered their warranties as well, and now only the 1hp model has a lifetime warranty.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing there's quite a size difference between 1/2 and 1hp?

Posts: 17892 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Comparing the 1 hp 9980 to 1/2 hp 9930 there is 3/4” difference in diameter and 3.2” difference in length

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23269 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you notice the difference in your electric bill between a 1/2 hp garbage disposal and a 3/4 hp garbage disposal then you need to rethink how you're using your garbage disposal.

Apparently it's a thing to grind the skeletal remains of ruminates instead of simply throwing them into the bin.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
^^^ You may need a wood chipper preprocessor for your disposal.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Hi

Some assumptions; you use your disposal 5 minutes per day, you pay $.15 per kWh.

The difference between the 1/2 and 3/4 hp is .183 kw. This is not an assumption btw.

.183 x 2.5 x .15 = $.068 per month. 82 Cents per year. $10.00 over the life of the thing.

Posts: 126 | Registered: January 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Delivered.....

Installed in less than 30 min. That includes opening the box and collecting required tools.

Awaiting the delivery of dead Yak to try out - Its scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

It is amazingly quiet during operation.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Comparing the 1 hp 9980 to 1/2 hp 9930 there is 3/4” difference in diameter and 3.2” difference in length

Pretty sure the 1hp would net me lots of complaining about the loss of storage space.

I did manage to get rid of a lot of junk when I had to replace a copper valve that went to the outside spigot. Now may be time to change the disposal.

Posts: 17892 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
Delivered.....

Installed in less than 30 min. That includes opening the box and collecting required tools.

Awaiting the delivery of dead Yak to try out - Its scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

It is amazingly quiet during operation.

Andrew
What size did you get?

BTW, good call on dead yak as the live ones make haunting screams going through the Waste Kang

posted Hide Post
Got the 3/4 Horse. 3 Bolt mount. $127 delivered to the house from Home Depot online.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post