SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Archery Folks: Target Stand (Build/Buy)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Archery Folks: Target Stand (Build/Buy) Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Been meaning to do this for a while & my daughter has shown some renewed interest in archery.

She has a PSE ProMax 54 Recurve (IIRC) and a large 3x3 target, similar to the below:

We used to just hang the target off the end of the swing set in the back yard, but it's now blocked by a trampoline.

So, I've been thinking about just building an a-frame stand that I can hang the target off of.

Was thinking about making a Home Depot run & just getting some iron pipe & a few couplings to toss a simple stand together, unless there's a source for a decent off-the-shelf option.
Not sure PVC would support well enough nor be long term durable enough with prolonged outdoor exposure.

What should I aim for in optimal height for the target center? Roughly shoulder height?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I would put it at a height that allows for easy extraction of arrows from the target. I don't think height really matters too much.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
That is the same type I used last.first was a croker sack fill with grocery plastic bags and it worked better than the store bought one in retrieving arrows and bolts

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I simply drove two T-posts into the ground. Tie off all 4 corners swinging around will get you more damaged arrows.

Added height has a down side. Missed and near misses an travel much further. I would base it on what height is most comfortable for her to pull arrows from. I like just a few inches over my knees. You can brace the target against your leg as you pull.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Was thinking about making a Home Depot run & just getting some iron pipe & a few couplings to toss a simple stand together, unless there's a source for a decent off-the-shelf option.
Not sure PVC would support well enough nor be long term durable enough with prolonged outdoor exposure.

If you use iron, a stray hit with an arrow means kiss it goodbye, and I worry about possible deflection. PVC will last you at least several years, we made deer feeders out of some PVC and T shaped end fittings filled with corn and strapped them to some trees in the woods. I think it was at least a good decade before they started to degrade and that was in temps from -40f up to the occasional 100f in the summer with lots of rain and snow. I think wood is probably your best bet, and while an arrow hit with anything that solid may be terminal for it, for sure, iron is going to ruin anything you hit it with.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
Agree with P220 Smudge. I made a stand out of PVC for my larger bag target and it works great.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents.
I didn't consider the stray arrow perspective with using metal construction.

Will try to make a HD trip this weekend & price out some PVC supplies.
Benefit of PVC, it can easily be disassembled & stored.

Now to calculate how much I'll need. I think I have some 'scrap' PVC in the garage from a few other repairs, will have to inventory that & go from there.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Back in the day when I shot archery, I built a tripod stand (like an easel) to hold the target out of 1 by 3. The beauty was, if you screwed up a shot and hit the stand, you didn't damage the arrow, as the fir 1 by 3 was soft.

ETA: I'm old. Sch 40 PVC will be much easier and quicker.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My vote would be to ditch the bag target and the stand to hang it from.

Buy yourself a large Block target instead.

They last for years and require no stand. Just set them anywhere and start shooting.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post