SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Homemade Handheld Steamer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homemade Handheld Steamer Login/Join 
Banned
posted
I have an idea to make a pen sized steamer. A simple devise that can take water in a tube, heat it, and emit steam.

Is this possible to make at home? What type of heating element would I need to consider? Something battery powered is a must.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Resistance heating of water is very power-hungry, don't expect batteries to last long, no more than a few minutes.

A better solution might be to convert a conventional AC-powered wallpaper steamer to pump steam to a tube and nozzle that can be directed as desired. Most of these direct steam through a hose to a 2' x 2' hood that you place over wallpaper to saturate the glue and more easily remove the paper. You would need to reduce the size of the hose, and fit a nozzle, an old ball point pen casing might work, but metal tubing would probably be better.

Posts: 6494 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
but metal tubing would probably be better.

And such metal tubing would very rapidly reach 212 degrees or so and burn the snot out of your fingers.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12785 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Gwyneth Paltrow is interested.

https://www.independent.co.uk/...advice-a7145026.html

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like a vaping device?

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Like a vaping device?

My idea is to invent a razor that is also a steamer. You steam your face as you shave.

This is a billion dollar idea. Don't steal it Wink

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:
Like a vaping device?

My idea is to invent a razor that is also a steamer. You steam your face as you shave.

Big Grin Big Grin

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

So I can cut and burn myself at the same time Razz

Posts: 5424 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Gwyneth Paltrow is interested.

https://www.independent.co.uk/...advice-a7145026.html

quote:
Originally stuttered by Gwyneth:
However, the actress and entrepreneur insists the practice has “real healing qualities”, telling The Cut on Monday: “The first time I tried v-steaming, I was like, ‘This is insane’. My friend Ben brought me and I was like, ‘You are out of your f**king mind. What is this? But then by the end of it I was like, ‘This is so great.’

Uh well yeah Gwyn, Ben just wanted to see if you'd let him watch you get nekkid and steam your coochie....

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43911 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Like a vaping device?

Bet your ass that Gillette already has a development team on it. They have a razor that vibrates, and a razor that heats up. They've probably got one that gets cold and probably one that plugs into a USB port so you can upload MP3's on it and play Glenn Miller's "In the Mood" while you get smooth. Rumor has it they had a model with an attachment that would vibrate your willy while you shaved, but that resulted in too many cuts to the face to test well with focus groups and they wouldn't allow them to manscape with it for legal and liability reasons.

Hey man, get with the program. We're all going back to DE, SE and straight razors! Big Grin

Posts: 17176 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post