SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bought a Truck from Carvana - completely out of character for me
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a Truck from Carvana - completely out of character for me Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
Never would have believed I’d have bought a vehicle off an app. But times & our world is a changing place. I wasn’t finding what I wanted on any local dealers websites or car lots so I decided to look on Carvana (after reading the thread on here about doing that).
I was being rather picky and had been looking for 4 months.
It had to be one of two colors , one of two styles of wheels , 4x4 , FX4 off road package, super cab, XLT ; etc.
I was searching 4 times a day with my filters just in case something dropped and one afternoon it did. I’d just looked an hour prior and there was nothing new then did a search and there it was.
Exactly what I wanted all boxes checked even the ones I didn’t add as I thought “that’s even too picky for me” (extended range 36 gallon fuel tanks) .

Wasn’t super pleased with the rates at the moment as they were much better last Fall after I retired from the State but I guess that’s what you get if you are going to be picky.
Contacted a couple lenders after I began the purchase process and got a good rate as my credit is fantastic (actually want to frame the print out from my bank Big Grin)
It wasn’t as smooth a transaction as I’d hoped.
It appears that if you use Carvanas insurance & finance it’s a breeze.
Otherwise there’s hoops & timelines to meet that seem to be geared to frustrate the buyer into using their insurance & financing.
But everything ended well in the end and my truck arrived on time on the date I scheduled.
It even arrived on one of the silly little delivery trucks you see in the commercials.
I love my Subaru Forester but dragging a trailer around for the last two years has been inconvenient to say the least.
I bought my last truck new & owned it for 21 years. Hoping these alloy body Fords stay looking good for a long time but I guess we’ll see.

2018 F150 Super-cab, 4x4, FX4, coyote 5.0L , 24,560 miles !! $36,995

For those who like looking at the sticker…

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Nice looking truck!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out for you. Michigan shut them down for a number of issues. Truck looks nice!

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Nice! And very low mileage, too. Is that your vanity plate, Grumpy Biker? Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26519 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Nice truck Grumpy! Plenty of room for a skid or two of Oktoberfest Razz

Posts: 794 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Looks to be a very nice truck at a very good price. Love the color! Good motoring brother

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Nice looking truck. I like the exterior color and am a big fan of non-black interior colors.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23332 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Really nice looking truck. Good cab size too. The 5.0 coyote engine is pretty badass. Now the money pit temptation begins… It all starts with something simple, like a K&N air filter, next thing you know you’re bolting on a Whipple Supercharger. Cool

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the 2016 version of that truck. 2 add on things (ie, "money pit things" LOL) which I thought were super cool was a Tuffy brand metal safe box that fits perfectly under the liftup backseat, and a Bolt locking hitch pin for the stinger that uses your Ford truck key.

I also got the Bolt Brand padlock to match with the receiver hitch pin and used it with a aircraft cable to lock things down in the truck bed. I loved that setup, you always had the Ford truck key handy so no need for another key.
https://www.boltlock.com/

Tuffy Lockbox. This was off of a great Sigforum recommendation. I paid $319 at the time (it's $449 now) and thought it was very much worth the peace of mind. If you park it on a forest service road and your wife wants to lock up a purse while you traipse off on a 10 mile hike, you worry a lot less. (My other move was to take an empty soft rifle case and open it up and leave a couple of .308 shells on it as a visual deterant).

While I owned it the truck got broken into twice in my driveway, and they apparently didn't even see the lock box which kept a bunch of tools and $400 emergency cash. The lockbox isn't impenetrable and a couple of tools would open it easily if someone knew it was there. Which reminds me, if you don't have a garage, keep the truck key in a metal box in your house so they can't bounce the signal and open your locked truck.

BTW, I padded the lock box with thin foam so my come along would stop sliding and slamming in the turns and it worked great. You can fit a couple of long guns in there if you don't stuff it full of tools like I did.

Pretty truck there, enjoy!

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgerge222:
Nice truck Grumpy! Plenty of room for a skid or two of Oktoberfest Razz

I like the way you think !

Stopped in at the State Park we live next to for some photos.
You know… for insurance purposes. Wink LoL

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I don't see how you could have done any better. Cool Cool Cool

Posts: 4702 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
XLT with the 5.0 and longer bed, shorter cab, fuckin SWEET.

My next truck with be very similar, or an older 5.7L Tundra(guzzler).

Congrats and best of luck to you!

BTW my experience with Carvana was very similar, but no regrets 3 years later. If you get a good one, it's a good one.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Carvana is supposed to have facilities and trained techs to inspect vehicles before sale, but I'd still put it up on a lift to inspect the undercarriage. Rust on, for example, the frame doesn't care how new or low mileage it is. The 5.0 engine is a good choice, IMO. Although it doesn't have the "rush" of the turbo 3.5, I think it will be more reliable in the long term.

While I have no plans to buy any car in the near or far future, you never know what might happen, and Carvana has intrigued me for some time.

Posts: 28019 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
The carfax report showed the previous one owner had the paint protection / sealer applied after the second year. I think I’ll continue with that.
Anyone have experience with that & can lend some advice as to frequency?

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I’ve seen very mixed reviews on Carvana transactions; happy to see this one appears to be working out.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12352 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I like that color too. Nice truck. Just out of curiosity, what other color would you have accepted, dark blue?

Posts: 13306 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I like that color too. Nice truck. Just out of curiosity, what other color would you have accepted, dark blue?

I really like it in silver but my last truck was this color red & it’s been my favorite since.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

posted Hide Post
That is a really nice looking truck. I'm partial to the dark blue but my next favorite is that Ford Ruby Red. Sweet ride!

Posts: 1132 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Got a similar ride as well.

The slot in the console for the phone can accept an induction coil for wireless charging if it hasn't been so equipped.

If you spend enough time in your new ride, you may even change your name to HappyBiker! Big Grin

Posts: 9173 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's a fine looking truck.

Posts: 107758 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post