SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cheddar cheese with Hatch chile
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheddar cheese with Hatch chile Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
One of my grocery stores offers Henning’s brand cheddar cheese with Hatch chile. That store also offers Castello brand havarti cheese with jalapeño chile.

Both are good, and generally similar. For both products the cheese has little age, but is tasty. And both are low enough on the SHU scale that most folks could enjoy them.

I love the flavor of jalapeño chilies, but I’ve gotta say that the flavor of the cheddar with Hatch chile is a whole ‘nother level. So good!

Article about hatch chile :
https://www.chilipeppermadness...hatch-chili-peppers/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9002 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
My grocer does hatch pepper brats part of the year. They can be kinda hot, for me anyway, but very good, like when I cut up the leftover into my scrambled eggs.

Once every year a vendor comes up here and sells the hatch peppers from a tent in the grocery parking lot. I figured if sausage/cream cheese/parmesan stuffed jalapenos are good, the size of the hatch chili pepper would make them even better. I stuffed some "medium" hatch peppers and smoked/roasted them on my BGE.
Those suckers were HOT! I maybe didn't roast them long enough but I could hardly eat them. Eek

Posts: 7377 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I make a road trip from Missouri every year to Albuquerque to the State Fairgrounds parking lot to get my Hatch Chiles.
I get them roasted fresh and turn around and go home.
Peel and freeze them and they are usually still warm. Lived in New Mexico for several years and gotta' get my Hatches !

Posts: 369 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Found a couple cheeses locally that have Hatch chili in them. Growing up in El Paso, it's a staple food item. In my thirteen years on the east coast, I never saw them. Grocery stores in Washington would get plenty in every late summer. Here, they're known the way they deserve. They go from mild to wild and everywhere in between. Truly a thing of beauty.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
I can’t go to Costco any more unless I take my wife. She’ll stop me from loading up on their blue moose dip. Unaccompanied, I come home with three tubs of that stuff.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Dangit, now I have the cravings for Hatch Chile Chile Rellenos. I love the ones made by the Chile Products of New Mexico company. LINK I buy them by the case, put them in my biggest ice chest and toss in a few pounds of Dry Ice and bring'em home to my freezer.

I've made the trek to the town of Hatch NM for the annual festival, it's a lot of fun. Love that stuff.

Lately I've been making Mac & Cheese with Hatch Chiles. Good stuff!

Come to think of it, I need to make a batch of New Mexico Green Chile Stew. That's one of my absolute favorites.

Posts: 11864 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Love me some peppers! Just got a couple handfuls of jalepenos last week and sliced them up and froze them for cooking. Trying something new and drying the jalepeno seeds for use in cooking when I just want to add a little 'zing' to a quick dish like pasta.

We've got an annual chili pepper festival @ an hour South, get all the peppers you want, roasted fresh, including Hatch Green Chilies.

Local grocery store sells versions of their made-in-store guacamole and Queso cheese that have Hatch Green Chilies in it. I've got a tub of each in the freezer from last New Years that I should probably think @ finishing off over the upcoming holiday season.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Hatch es muy bueno! Wink

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have heard of this, how you say..."Hatch chile".

NOM NOM

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17305 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I bought a hatch chili Gouda today. Paired well with fresh croissants. Yum.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Nothing like a nice burger topped with Hatch chiles!

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love all pepper cheese, especially hatch pepper cheese when we can find it. The Mrs is the same, in our infinite wisdom we bought some ghost pepper cheese a couple weeks ago when we down to Amish, we learned a valuable lesson that day lol. There are many things that are greatly enhanced by peppers, cheese with ghost peppers is not one hahahaha

Posts: 461 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Every year I order 25lb. of fresh Hatch chiles from outfits in NM, roast, skin, and de-seed them myself, takes most of an afternoon. Most of the peppers are left non-stuffable from this procedure, but there are usually a dozen or so that are suitable for chiles rellenos. The rest of them I tear into strips and freeze so as to make green chile all year long (or as long as it lasts). The chile verde is a gravy-like chile "stew" that is perfect for topping enchiladas, eggs, and anything that is better with a little tasty spice-up. I am happy to share my recipes with anyone who e-mails me asking for them, but I am not a strict recipe follower and virtually everything comes out slightly different every time.

Posts: 6510 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
MMMMM! Green chili! love the stuff.

Posts: 4025 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post