SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anyone here won a giveaway?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone here won a giveaway? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Just curious.

You always see a company or manufacturer in a giveaway such as "enter to win $12,000 worth of guns/gear" or "enter to win a 2018 Mustang GT" where you enter your e-mail and information.

I pretty much figure those places are going to flood your inbox with advertisements and probably sell your contact information.

Has anyone actually won one? I'm just wondering if they're real or not. It's not like they couldn't just make up a name/place of a "winner" and say someone won.

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I had a friend win 70 boxes(years worth) of carnation instant breakfast in college. He was probably the only one filling the stuff out and sending it in. I never have.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I won my weight in meat one time.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4604 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
I won my weight in meat one time.

Bob

Okay, we need to hear the full story on this one. Big Grin

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
If you're on Facebook you normally get posts that say a company has too many RV's and you have a chance to get one. All you have to do is "like" the page, post a reply, the share it. It's a scam called "like farming. Nobody wins anything.

"Like farming" is based on the reality that the more likes a page gets, the more valuable it is. In the example, the "like farming" is allowed to continue until a threshold is reached. Then
"Then, once the page has a sufficiently high popularity rating, the like-farmer either removes the page's original content and replaces it with something else (usually malware or scam advertising); leaves the page as is and uses it as a platform for continued like-farming in order to spread malware, collect people's marketing information or engage in other harmful activities; or outright sells the highly liked site to cybercriminals in a black market web forum.
https://www.consumeraffairs.co...you-like-042215.html

Then there's the post "Can you name a fish that doesn't have an "A" in its name? Then there's my favorite, a math problem. Again this is a shame:
"A close cousin of like-farming might better be called “response farming,” or just clickbait: posts designed solely to elicit a response. It differs from like-farming in that like-farming is done by actual scammers, whereas response-farming is usually promoted by actual companies to increase their Facebook popularity rankings. Look at the promotional Facebook page of a typical genre-music FM radio station, for example, and you're almost certain to see lots of response-farming memes.

One such meme that's been around since at least early 2013 involves asking a ridiculously easy question, usually followed by commentary suggesting the question is actually quite difficult:"
https://www.consumeraffairs.co...you-like-042215.html

These scams work as most people hit "like" without thinking.

Rarely, you'll see a local business that offers say a chain saw for liking the page it's to increase the business' advertising and sometime they even give the chain saw away.

The mustang. If it was real, the company would make a big deal of it

https://www.usatoday.com/story...l-you-read/81264440/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won a case of Interlux paint at the 1984 Annapolis boat show. The prize was 2 gallons of bottom paint, which we didn't need on a trailered skiff. So, the nice folks sent us a case of #300 ultra white topside paint. Best paint I ever had, still have one quart left unopened. Wish they still made it.

Posts: 1646 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I used to buy all our meat at this one meat market.

I noticed a poster of the contest,asked about it and wound up winning.

The only tricky part was that I had to buy a freezer :-)

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4604 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Won a car once, but I didn't have the $2000 they said I had to send them first to pay the taxes so I didn't get to claim it... Big Grin

I did win a set of three wooden duck plaques / wall hangings at a store grand opening. I was about 5 or 6, 56 or so years ago, still have them somewhere. Had them on the wall till we moved a couple years ago.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I won a raffle at a strip club one time, but never anything online.

Posts: 7422 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Father-in-law (a very persuasive attorney) won a new Cadillac once, then got the dealership that donated it to "cash him out" for it. I think that was the last time they donated.

Posts: 27185 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
won a couple of Karma's here over the years,

won a Glock in a raffle (actually had a choice of firearms, and picked the G30)

and if I believe my emails, I've won a ton of money from some Nigerian princess,, but I never collected Big Grin

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10594 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Won a free trip to the Big Island for the Iron Man.

This was in the 80s and pretty much all Iron Man applicants were allowed to participate, so I entered the race after winning the free trip, participated - and finished the race.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Not me, but my father has been exceptionally lucky at times, usually at things like Ducks Unlimited raffles and the like at big annual dinners/charity events. He and his buddies have won the grand prize (fishing boats, things like that) several times over the years.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I've won a few small giveaways, nothing big.

Back in the 80's my mom entered one entry for a car giveaway contest at 7-11 stores and won a 4wd AMC Eagle Wagon. (She was rather surprised when they hit her with a significant tax).

I get notifications for gun giveaways constantly but haven't been fortunate enough to win one as yet...

Posts: 1512 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I win the lottery scratchers occasionally.
Mostly for 2 bucks. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Outside of a couple Karmas here, the most I've won is $200 in a high school football 50/50 raffle

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11158 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
My Aunt won a brand new VW Beetle. She ended up driving it for a year and selling for $14,000. Win win.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
When Obama was re-elected, I bought a bunch of panic ammo that night (I know I know). In doing so I entered the freedom munitions election day ammo giveaway contest.

I was called the next day by their marketing director and was notified that I won 6000 rounds of ammo to be paid out 1000 rounds per month for 6 months.

It was awesome!

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3173 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine here won a Vespa Scooter once upon a time.

Posts: 11416 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
I entered and won a contest Guinness was having once. Grand prize was a trip to the Guinness brewery and a 7 day vacation. Unfortunately I won one of the consolation prizes, a Guinness labeled CD case. That's the largest contest I've won from but I've won a few generous karmas here and a few jerseys from my local AHL hockey teams but nothing major.

A friend of mine is incredibly lucky and always cleans up when there's a raffle. At the annual friend's of the NRA dinners he's sure to win at least one if not more firearms and has won the grand prize a few years.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post