SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Beware Microsoft update for Win 7 - laptop nuked
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beware Microsoft update for Win 7 - laptop nuked Login/Join 
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted
Had 3 updates download after the “your win 7 isn’t supported” anymore.
So far, so good.
Then another windows update pops up...THAT one nuked my computer back to the beginning. All the Sony bloatware was back up and running, docs - pictures gone, favorites gone.
BEYOND PISSED!!!
I have a system image on backup but running it hasn’t worked yet.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
How did that happen or you know it was the update?
Did you read the update before processing?
Never saw any update take a computer back...

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you sure this was a MS update? Sure doesn't sound like it???

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Was is KB4536952?

Servicing stack update for Windows 7 SP1 and Server 2008 ...
https://support.microsoft.com/
Jan 14, 2020 - This update makes quality improvements to the servicing stack, which is the component that installs Windows updates. Servicing stack updates (SSU) makes sure that you have a robust and reliable servicing stack so that your devices can receive and install Microsoft updates.

This was the last update I received (on 01-19-20). It installed with no problems.

Your update history should still be there.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the service stack install and restart was when it happened.
I got the system image to load from my Seagate but it only let me choose a 2 yr old version.
At least I got that much back.

--------

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
@Smschultz, Bytes - that was the only thing I was doing when it got zapped.
No idea why or how...

--------

posted Hide Post
KMitch, this a very odd problemFrown I'll check with the IT (OS Dudes) gurus I work with and see what I can find out. I'm sure others will chime in and give you some helpful suggestions.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Since MS has stopped support on W7, there shouldn't be any more updates, should there?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Since MS has stopped support on W7, there shouldn't be any more updates, should there?

flashguy
That actually was one of the last updates.
But just to clarify, I believe they only stop supporting OS updates. There will still be updates through the update system, depending on how the machine is setup, such as driver updates and MSRT (malicious software removal tool) updates.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it got jacked up and went to some sort of recovery partition right? Maybe the other partition is still there and through effort can be salvaged. That said, I'd just fresh install it now unless there are truly precious data to be saved. Like family photos or something. In which case, I'd look for the partition, extract them if you can, then format the whole thing and start over.

Posts: 11399 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

I also got some sort of heavy update past the expiration date. Believe there were 5 of them delivered together.

The machines were all up to date until that point. Had mede sure we got everything hunky dory on the final day.

Then there was this NSA warning and I thought the extra package was somewhat related, a parting gift.

Had no worries until now.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12148 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I had intended to check for updates prior to the Win 7 EOL date but got busy and forgot. I received notifications for 3 important updates after the EOL date, was slightly concerned that it may be a malicious hacker attempt, but also thought that perhaps they were planned updates that I somehow missed the notice on.

Proceeding carefully I verified that all three were listed in the MS update catalog.

2020-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4534310)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - January 2020 (KB890830)

2020-01 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2, 4.8 for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB4535102)

After the updates I attempted the prompted Restart and my laptop seemed to slowly painfully start the Restart sequence, but hung up and ended up on an all black screen. I attempted a Cntl + Alt + Delete but was eventually prompted with an error message that said try an Esc and if that didn't work to press the Power Button, which is what it finally took to Shut Down. Upon Restart I selected Restart Normally and was finally able to resume normal operations.

Now, I see that I have yet another important update notification:

2020-01 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4536952) but I'm a little hesitant to download it, based on KMitch200's experience.

KMitch200, any chance you could uninstall that last update and see if you can get back to your previous state?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I had to use a system repair disc & backup image to get my stuff back.
It was an image from 2016, not the one I made in 2019 after I bought the latest version of Bitdefender.
I had to nuke the old antivirus version using Avastclear, uninstall didn’t get all of it. It took (I’m not joking) 6 restarts! to get the antivirus to load properly.
I had my pics saved to a flash drive and most of my favorites were recovered but some went away. (Ammoseek was missing!) I exported the faves to a flash drive but haven’t looked for them yet. Easy enough to replace. Some documents remain lost.

If the Servicing Stack update shows up, I’m not touching it with a 10 foot pole even though Yellow Jacket installed it with no problems.
Things are basically back to normal but what a giant PITA!!!
Luckily my wife is used to screamed profanity when I’m dealing with computer glitches.

Modern Day Savage, the service stack update wasn’t showing up in my update list after the nuke job. I have no idea what that means in the grand scheme of things but I’m just a keyboard tapper not a computer guy.

--------

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It might be wise to always have a current backup.

Windows 7 has a decent built in one but it is not the most configurable.

Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows is a free one that works very well too.

Plenty of others but the key is to keep them up.

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post