SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shopping for a UTV - Need Advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shopping for a UTV - Need Advice Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
I've just started shopping for a UTV and come to the oracle that is SigForum for advice and recommendations.

- General farm use.
- Terrain is hilly in places, but no significant off-roading is intended.
- Two seats is enough.
- Would prefer a larger utility bed.
- The ability to attach doors and maybe other nifty accessories (like a plow) for inclement weather would be a definite plus.
- Not picky about fuel. Gasoline or diesel is fine and I do have the ability to plug in a block heater during the winter months.
- Must be able to be operated by my elderly, but capable MIL. If it's much more complicated than a golf cart, we might have to think twice.
- Easy maintenance, because I'll be doing it.
- Price as close to $10K as possible. Could go higher if it really makes a difference, though.

The MIL (who knows nothing, but likes to be assertive) has sent me a link to a promo video for the Polaris Ranger 900-series (which I don't think is current, is it?). Obviously a top-shelf brand, but I don't want to overpay for a name.

Thanks in advance!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
-Terrain is hilly in places, but no significant off-roading is intended.
- Would prefer a larger utility bed.
- The ability to attach doors and maybe other nifty accessories (like a plow) for inclement weather would be a definite plus.
- Not picky about fuel. Gasoline or diesel is fine and I do have the ability to plug in a block heater during the winter months.
- Must be able to be operated by my elderly, but capable MIL. If it's much more complicated than a golf cart, we might have to think twice.
- Easy maintenance, because I'll be doing it.

I'm a YUUUGE Kubota Homer so I'm biased. Based on the items above, I feel the RTV-X900 suits you and your families needs.

Hydraulic Power Steering will make life easy for your elderly but capable MIL and for you if you put a snow blade on the front. Once you put a bunch of weight up front, steering becomes much more laborious if you don't have power steering. Some manufactures offer electric power steering which helps but is not nearly as reliable. Life is good with power steering. The machine is easy to operate, 2 speeds fwd and one reverse.

The Kubota RTV-X900 uses a hydrostatic drive transmission. Most others use a CVT belt drive transmission. If you want to go fast(er), the CVT gets you there but it is a belt, a maintenance item. The hydrostatic transmission is far more powerful and forgiving when put under load, it just can't reach the speeds of 40 mph +. The X900 tops out at about 25. Kubota makes a RTV-X1120, same frame size, comes with 1/2 doors and tops out at 29mph. Everything we are talking about is a machine and can break, but the hydro tranny is the strongest and most durable.

For a 2 seater, the Kubota has as large or larger than others bed. The 4 seater, which folds forward into a 2 seater in about 30 seconds, allows for an even larger bed. The bed comes with hydraulic power dump (not an electric worm gear, again prone to fail) that you won't be able to overload to the point it won't dump. You can also get a manual dump box if that is not important and want to save a few dollars.

Plenty of accessories are available such as doors, windshield options, canopies etc, both from Kubota and after market.

The X900 and X1120 are diesel. You'll end up paying more for a diesel but you get reliability, longevity, rediculous fuel savings (the RTV will use about 1/4 of the fuel that a gas UTV uses) and you don't have to worry about your gas degrading over time. It's quiet and today's diesel's are clean burning.

Maintenance is a piece of cake. Because of the diesel and hydro drive, there is less major maintenance expected too.

The downside it's a bit over your budget. We sell the RTV-X900GP (General Purpose which means manual dump) for about $12,500. You can get low rate financing (0% 48 mo?) if you'd like.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Forgot the link

http://kubota.com/product/Util...ehicles/RTVX900.aspx

If you really want to spoil yourself, the RTV-X1100 has factory cab with heat and AC Cool

Use the build your own feature on the website and you can price it out. This will give you list price. You certainly shouldn't pay that much, even after freight and setup but it will give you a benchmark for the cost of different models and options.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
We sell the RTV-X900GP (General Purpose which means manual dump) for about $12,500. You can get low rate financing (0% 48 mo?) if you'd like.

Sweet. At top speed (and avoiding controlled access highways), it should only take me about 42 hours to drive it home. Smile

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely take a look. In the event that she's stuck on Polaris for whatever reason, I'm already steering her down towards the 570 full-size, but I was already feeling more comfortable with a heavy-equipment mfg.

I also have plenty of experience w/ hydrostatic drive systems (mostly ZTR mowers), so that's something I'm certainly comfortable with.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the use I concur the Kubota best choice.

I've owned Polaris. Great machine, but they are not rugged. Sorry if I offend but truth is truth. Fast, yes. But day in day out work no.

For a workhorse on a budget I like the plain old Kawasaki Mule.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2017-Mule-4010-4x4

The HPX gator used to have a Kawasaki engine, same as the mule above. If it still does, then it's a good work machine too. I'm sure my old one is still going if they new owner is keeping oil changed etc.

https://www.deere.com/en_US/pr...px_4x4/hpx_4x4.page?

Also, I wouldn't worry about driving home. A Kubota dealer should deliver for free, they have to pick up and drop off tractors daily - it's part of what they do.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I've been using an RTV 900X for years (since 2005 I think) It has been fantastic along with the other two Kubotas I own.

I haul many cords of fire wood with it every year as well as much of the lawn maintenance.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I've used a Polaris Ranger 800 a lot and that thing is a horse. I really haven't found anything it can't do or anywhere it can't go, yet. It has a manual dump bed, which has suited us fine so far.

Now, I haven't plowed with it, because it's not a tractor.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10489 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted Hide Post
I've always been a Polaris fan. Had Rangers, RZRs, and now the General. Never had issues with any of them. All used on the farm.

Posts: 600 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I've used a Polaris Ranger 800 a lot and that thing is a horse. I really haven't found anything it can't do or anywhere it can't go, yet. It has a manual dump bed, which has suited us fine so far.

Now, I haven't plowed with it, because it's not a tractor Kubota.

There ya go, fixed it. Wink

Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I should say Kubota does make models in your price range, The RTV400 and RTV500 (CVT drive/Hydro drive). Both should sell for under 10K.

Oh yeah, I ship em too Smile No tax either Smile

I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
I've owned my Kubota RTV 500 for 6 years, and continue to be totally impressed. It is the best mechanical purchase I have ever made, including all my cars, trucks, chainsaws, etc. It starts instantly every time. The RTV 500 is sized right for my use, but may be smaller than what you need. Whatever you do make sure you get EFI!!!

And be careful that some of the off brands from Tractor Supply et al don't have a low range. Good luck!

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been in the powersports industry to 10 years, can't say the Kubota is a bad choice as I am a huge fan of their equipment..BUT.

You'd be doing yourself wrong if you didn't consider a new Kawasaki Mule Pro-FX in your search.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2017-MULE-PRO-FX

I'd get the gas as it's an automotive style 3 cylinder used in cars overseas. Huge alternator, huge battery, rides like a caddy, etc. Bed holds massive weight, all metal, fits a pallet, dumps...almost does the dishes. Great aftermarket for roofs, windshields, winches, you name it. If you go diesel, it's a 1000cc Yanmar that will last longer than you an I.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 973 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If money was no issue I would get a Kubota (because I love diesel powered equipment) but I got a great buy on a slightly used Kawasaki 4010 and I love it. It comes with power steering, and what amounts to an automatic transmission, a large dump bed, a tow hitch and mine has a front 4200 pound winch which gets lots of use. All kind of options are available. I'm thinking about a powered bed dump. The 4010 comes with a two cylinder, fuel injected water cooled engine. Real easy on fuel.

Posts: 1081 | Location: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh yeah, I ship em too Smile No tax either Smile

You're going to make this difficult, I can see.

Tell me about the bed. If I've got several hundred pounds of whatever, is it easy (for my MIL) to dump, or is the almost $1K electronic dump option worth it?

-Rob

A=A

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Burton, not if the mil is a pita and you want an accident to cure it for ya Wink
Save the $1k for the party, i mean funeral service. Big Grin

BRL, sent you an email. Thx

Stiab, nice pix and a good looking machine. Nice to here you are that happy with your's. Is the gas engine made by Kubota? CVT Transmission?
How is it with two adults in it for performance?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem of not having a power dump is you can get too much weight ahead of the dump pivot thus making it tough to tip the bed. Also, a manual bed tip prevents a partial lift so everything comes out at once. A partial lift could allow the load to be spread over a larger area by driving the Mule slowly.

Posts: 1081 | Location: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
- Must be able to be operated by my elderly, but capable MIL. If it's much more complicated than a golf cart, we might have to think twice...

The MIL (who knows nothing, but likes to be assertive) has sent me a link to a promo video for the Polaris Ranger 900-series (which I don't think is current, is it?). Obviously a top-shelf brand, but I don't want to overpay for a name.
Due to your MIL comments, have you considered an all electric 4wd?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23264 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

Now, I haven't plowed with it, because it's not a tractor Kubota.

There ya go, fixed it. Wink

I'm not a salesman, just an end user.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10489 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2007 Polaris Sportsman and have plowed with it. We also have a 2012 Polaris Razor, cannot plow with a Razor, has to be a Ranger, but no problems with either. I own land and woods, we have even taken the Razor to Utah into the mountains and all over there and could not break it. Warranty on Polaris is not very long, but the ride is great and they run good. Love ours.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I have a Polaris RZR570 that I bought because it's trail legal and a toy. I do plow snow with a 60" blade with a Warm 3000lb winch for the lift and lower.

A few things:
I will not buy a machine without power steering, especially a 4x4.
It works fine, but I'd prefer another type of transmission, the CVT could be smoother. I'll be putting a kit in it.
The 570 Ranger works well at work stuff but manual bed.
I plow with it and it works well for home, I even used it on the road a bit, but no downforce on the plow.
I seldom drive it over 30mph even on the fire roads.

Have her sit in it, and get in and out. The RZR is a sport machine, not good if you're in and out all the time for example. The Ranger is better, the 570 isn't a large cab, the 900 is easier to get in and out.

For you, I'd look at the Kubota diesel. Mark it well so that there is no accidental fueling with gasoline. Get the power dump bed and the power steering. One of my goals is property enough to get a Kubota.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post