SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Passed my Aikido Shodan Test
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passed my Aikido Shodan Test Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
Took my test for first degree black belt today. As some of you may remember, 5 years ago at the age of 60 I began training in Aikido. I stayed with it, even with shaky health and a full-on congestive heart failure.

In fact it almost didn't happen, as I woke up this morning feeling very sick and dizzy (not Covid). They asked if I wanted to postpone, but I decided to bull through it as best I could. Glad I did.

Shodan Test - 1A by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations kkina!

Posts: 960 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I’ll assume you are the one closest to the camera.

Q

Posts: 26418 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Good for you!!

I took Aikido many years ago along with Shotokan Karate and Tae Kwon Do. Aikido was my favorite martial art!

Posts: 6621 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Congratulations! I’ll assume you are the one closest to the camera.

I'm the one in the middle not wearing a hakama. I have to demonstrate ability to deal with two black belt attackers.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
Good for you!!

I took Aikido many years ago along with Shotokan Karate and Tae Kwon Do. Aikido was my favorite martial art!

Yes indeed, I actually have a black belt in shotokan as well. Many, many years ago.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I'm the one in the middle not wearing a hakama. I have to demonstrate ability to deal with two black belt attackers.

Thanks. Now, I will not forget. I thought you posted a pic of yours before but somehow have forgotten the image.

Q

Posts: 26418 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Well done especially with the full blown CHF, a malady I share with you.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! That is a great accomplishment!

Posts: 4812 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
My Sensei is in mortal fear that I'll drop dead on the mat someday. I told him to just roll me off the mat and I shouldn't be in anyone else's way.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!! Awesome achievement!

Posts: 872 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Studied Nihon Goshin Aikido for several years, but stopped at brown, because life got in the way. Your accomplishment inspires me that it may not be too late at 56 to go back and continue.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Congratulations for all your accomplishments!

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:
Congratulations! Studied Nihon Goshin Aikido for several years, but stopped at brown, because life got in the way. Your accomplishment inspires me that it may not be too late at 56 to go back and continue.

I'm not even the oldest student there. We just got a young lady who decided to start her first martial art at 67.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
A great accomplishment!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"Be like wahtah"

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Omedetou! That's great!

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12726 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I got moves that ain't even been invented yet. Here's one of 'em:

Huh? Huh? I know. Radical

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
[Sgt Schultz]"Jolly Jokers"[/Sgt Schultz] Big Grin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I can do it the other way, too. Some day, I'll work up to using the other hand.