SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Secretary of State Kris Kobach announces first conviction of noncitizen voting in Kansas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Secretary of State Kris Kobach announces first conviction of noncitizen voting in Kansas Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach said Wednesday that he has obtained his first conviction of a person who illegally voted in a Kansas election without being a U.S. citizen.

Kobach, who has advised President Donald Trump on immigration and voter fraud, said that Victor David Garcia Bebek has pleaded guilty to voter fraud.

Kobach, a Republican, is the only secretary of state in the country with the authority to prosecute voter fraud.

“No matter how many cases we prosecute the political left will always whine that there’s not enough cases to justify protecting our elections in this way,” Kobach said in a phone interview. “That’s absurd.”

The conviction of Bebek was the eighth for Kobach since he gained the authority to prosecute voter fraud in 2015, his office said.

As of this March, 1,788,673 people were registered to vote in Kansas.

Kobach said the others were convictions of people who “double-voted” or were citizens who voted in Kansas and another state.

“This conviction shows how important prosecutorial authority is,” Kobach said.

Last year, Kobach was revealed as a source of Trump’s unsubstantiated claim that millions of people illegally voted in the 2016 presidential election. Kobach has offered no evidence to back up Trump’s claim of such fraud in the 2016 election.

Bebek will be on unsupervised probation for up to three years and pay a fine of $5,000, according to a statement from Kobach’s office.

Kobach found that Bebek illegally voted three times: in a 2012 special election and the 2012 and 2014 general elections. He was a Peruvian national at the time who voted in Sedgwick County, according to Kobach.

Kobach said the way the case was discovered because Bebek became a U.S. citizen earlier this year.

At his naturalization ceremony, he was offered the chance to register to vote in Sedgwick County.

“This gentleman did so, and then when the Sedgwick County election office went back to the office to enter his information, they found that he had been on the voter rolls since 2011,” Kobach said.

Kobach said he did not know whether Bebek had been affiliated with any political party.

Kansas has voter identification laws strongly supported by Kobach that have often been criticized by the American Civil Liberties Union and Democratic lawmakers in the state.

Rep. John Carmichael, a Democrat from Wichita, filed legislation this year to strip the secretary of the power to prosecute voter fraud and election crimes, but the bill has not moved forward in the Kansas Legislature.

“I’m not at all convinced that finding one non-citizen to prosecute after a two-year search justifies giving the secretary of state what is unprecedented authority held by no other secretary of state in the nation,” Carmichael said.

A report from the the Kansas Advisory Committee to the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights earlier this year found the Kansas law to be the strictest in the nation, and also cited concerns that the voting law championed by Kobach “may have been written and implemented with improper, discriminatory intent.”

Kobach has continued to defend the state’s voting laws, which requires photo identification and forces new Kansas voters to prove they are U.S. citizens if they register using the state’s voting form.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Good, start prosecuting and I bet their numbers will decrease.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
This one was discovered when he messed up by trying to re-register, and records showed he voted on a number of occasions for several years. Shooting fish in a barrel.

There must be a way to analyze voting records to uncover multiple voting, deceased voters and the other hijinks sometimes used. Of course, if these are too effective, the courts enjoin their use.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I saw a TV interview outside a voting place of an admitted illegal immigrant on election day last fall. When asked if she had voted she replied "once". The reporter then asked, once? To that she replied that the poles didn't close for a couple hours and she had time, and intended to vote a couple more times!

There has at least be an attempt made to stop this shit or it will only get worse.

Good for Mr Kobach.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
There must be a way to analyze voting records to uncover multiple voting, deceased voters and the other hijinks sometimes used. .

Easier method. Flush the voter rolls. All of them. everyone reregisters with proof of citizenship and a pulse.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post