SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    MMPI Psych Testing-Biased Against Military?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MMPI Psych Testing-Biased Against Military? Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory.

I'd have a hard time trusting a psych test that came from the home of Jesse Ventura and Al Franken. Razz

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory.

I'd have a hard time trusting a psych test that came from the home of Jesse Ventura and Al Franken. Razz

Hadn't considered it from that angle, but now that you mention it... Razz

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15491 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Regarding testing, anything (everything) you say can and will be used to show you have a mental disorder. So just relax and try to answer the questions truthfully, without thinking about them too much.

Of course, even questioning the validity and interpretation of psychology tests shows you have paranoid delusions.

Posts: 4822 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
I've taken it a number of times, mostly for classes and training.

There is no bias in the test itself, because there is no "right" or "wrong" answers...and the test hasn't changed in years.

The bias comes in what the hiring body is looking for. they are the ones who look at the results and decide which scores, in which areas, they deem worthy

quote:
I do know that when I took it upon hire, I was sane going into it but damn near went insane by the end of the 500+ questions.

You got off lucky, you should have taken the version with 1200 questions

Depends on what you mean by years. It was heavily revised in 1989 (a revision I actually worked on while in graduate school). Then it was reworked a bit 2003 and 2008.

As many have pointed out there is no pass/fail inherent in the MMPI. Administrations can choose to eliminate people based on the profile.

The best use of the MMPI in a job setting would be to weed out individuals with likely pathology.

The MMPI has been shown to be a valid test of psychopathology. It is less useful as a measure of personality traits in a "normal" population but it has some demonstrated validity in that application as well.

It should never be used to rank/order candidates. It is appropriately used as a screening tool in a vocational setting.

The interp of the MMPI is best left to people that actually know what they are doing. It is an easy test to score, but it is harder to interpret it well.

As with many things, in the wrong hands it can be badly misused.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post