SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    MMPI Psych Testing-Biased Against Military?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MMPI Psych Testing-Biased Against Military? Login/Join 
posted
I am required to have a number of job applicants tested for psychological fitness before hiring them. We use the MMPI. I proctor the test and send it in to be "scored" as it were. People falling outside certain parameters (to which I am not privy) are referred to a head shrinker for evaluation. They are almost always recommended for hire. I have noticed about a 10 percent "failure" rate. I'm ok with that, I figure it's partly a device to increase the bill rate because an interview costs more than the test. The part that bothers me is that, of the ten percent, about 85 percent are veterans. Is this test perhaps biased against the military? I already see my General Manager is biased against military and in favor of stupid education degrees. To me, a Liberal Arts major is worth about .001 percent of an Afghanistan veteran. WTF?

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Of the 90% how many are veterans?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32008 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
The short answer is no, it is not biased against veterans.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
There was an episode of Blue Bloods not long ago where it was found that the tests given to applicants was biased against vets. Just a tv show I know.

Posts: 5679 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
MMPI

?

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
MMPI

?

Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15491 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've heard it said that LEOs with more than a few years of service also have trouble with the MMPI, but I don't know if that's a verified fact or just scuttlebutt. If true, there may be a similar reason for military veterans failing at a higher than normal rate.

I do know that when I took it upon hire, I was sane going into it but damn near went insane by the end of the 500+ questions. Wink

Posts: 33040 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The MMPI is not a pass/ fail test and is not biased towards the military. An interview with a clinical psychologist who works in the security field is a much better approach. Of course that costs more money. The MMPI is a self report Personality Inventory that is actually a pretty poor screening instrument for job applicants. A mid level manager with experience in the hiring of security personnel would make more sense.

Having read your previous posts I am guessing the corporate people came up with that approach.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took the MMPI twice.

Failed the first because I wasn't black... Chicago Housing Authority, go figure.

Passed it the 2nd time for Chicago Police.

Overall the MMPI is a nice GAGUE for applicants, but it's not the "Be all - End all" for a standard. It does help weed out some of the malcontents, but not all. As ZSMICHAEL stated, a Clinical Pshrink is IN ADDITION TO the MMPI a valuable asset in the hiring process.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8523 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
85 percent of the failures are veterans. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes, corporate morons in Britain require the test. And I personally have taken it 18 times-with 16 requirements for clinical interview. The Army has NO sense of humor at all. They also refuse to believe in weird shit.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
I had to take it to get hired at my airline, it was pretty weird test, with some bazaar questions, and equally bazaar multiple answers. Don't know if it has changed much, this was back in the 1980's.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I don't want anything with the name Minnesota in it telling me my personality - do I pass or fail?

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I've taken it several times for jobs and it is a bit tricky coming with answers without context for anyone who has been employed in any job involving the need for violence. Outside scoring eliminate the opportunity for you to understand their answers with context.

Posts: 6039 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
I don't want anything with the name Minnesota in it telling me my personality - do I pass or fail?

You are ok in my book!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3124 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I had some smatterings of how to interpret the versions from the 60s & 70s. It was 'a measuring tool' one step up from 'no measuring tool' in that era. Of course depending on which professor/which school of thought you favored either embraced or rejected the whole thing.

Either side could conjure up reasons to believe in or reject whatever the results may be in any individual case.

I'd expect the validity to have been considerably improved the last 40+ years.

Large bureaucracies tend to favor such devices as it give the impression they have some valid excuse to make the choices they do in their the HR department.

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The MMPI is designed to detect psychopathology. In other words, it is designed to detect actual craziness. It is not a general-purpose personality test.

I doubt the MMPI is really of much use in employment screening. I suggest you research this, and think about whether the test is actually of any use to your purpose. I won't say it has no utility, but I really think it is less useful for this purpose than many think.

This isn't unusual. Many use the MMPI for such things. Signewt is right - HR departments love such things as it lends a "scientific" aura to the selection process. The problem is that it is mostly a false aura of scientific exactitude.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The MMPI is not a pass/ fail test and is not biased towards the military. An interview with a clinical psychologist who works in the security field is a much better approach. Of course that costs more money. The MMPI is a self report Personality Inventory that is actually a pretty poor screening instrument for job applicants. A mid level manager with experience in the hiring of security personnel would make more sense.

Having read your previous posts I am guessing the corporate people came up with that approach.

Yes.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I've taken it a number of times, mostly for classes and training.

There is no bias in the test itself, because there is no "right" or "wrong" answers...and the test hasn't changed in years.

The bias comes in what the hiring body is looking for. they are the ones who look at the results and decide which scores, in which areas, they deem worthy

quote:
I do know that when I took it upon hire, I was sane going into it but damn near went insane by the end of the 500+ questions.

You got off lucky, you should have taken the version with 1200 questions

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14249 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
I had to take it to get hired at my airline, it was pretty weird test, with some bazaar questions, and equally bazaar multiple answers. Don't know if it has changed much, this was back in the 1980's.

Maybe, since you're working for an airline, they wanted to make sure you could answer passenger's questions about where to buy rugs and magic monkey paws?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17085 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
The MMPI was developed at a mental hospital in Minnesota. It was "normed" by giving it to relative that visited patients. Think about that.
The good news is that has been a huge amount of further research.
I've given several hundred. How you report the test is being given is really questionable. We never, ever just gave one test. It was always multiple tests that could be compared. This included an IQ test. Plus, the person administering the testing had to write a detailed report. Spend a day testing someone, you get a good understanding of them.
About the only thing you can get from just one test would be the validity scales. You can see if the person is trying to make themselves look good or bad.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post