SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CPAP cleaning machine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CPAP cleaning machine Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
Does anyone use one of those CPAP cleaning machines for the mask and hose?

If so, do they work as advertised? Are they worth the money?

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
If you follow the cleaning directions and frequency from the manufacturer of your CPAP machine and mask, you really don't need any of these Ozone "cleaning" machines. They've got great marketing and inflated pricing for what is a solution for a problem that really doesn't exist (again if you routinely clean as directed).

I've been using CPAP since 1997 and have had zip cleanliness related issues.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16260 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but I'm lazy!

Seriously though, I don't think about it until I'm laying there trying to go to sleep. I'm sure not going to get up and clean it then.

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Do you launder your bed linen at least weekly?
Clean your CPAP gear at the same time

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16260 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if it's a CYA thing or what but all the cleaning instructions I read when unpacking my first set of CPAP gear in early 2021 seemed like total overkill to me. Philips practically had you dissembling every little bit and piece every day and scrubbing and rinsing with soapy water. I'm reading all this and thinking "yeah that's not gonna happen!"

You don't need any fancy machine and they're been proven IIRC that they can actually degrade your gear.

Just wash the headgear and frame every once in a while along with the hose and pop the cushion off and give it a quick daily cleaning and rinse and air dry. I have CPAP wipes I use too which are good.

Posts: 33895 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Do you launder your bed linen at least weekly?
Clean your CPAP gear at the same time

Gotcha, have the wife do it. Big Grin

Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Also, use distilled water to fill the reservoir. I originally just used tap water and had to scrub mold and film out of it, regularly. Oftentimes I was congested during the day. Since switching to distilled water, which of course the instructions say to use, I have only cleaned it a few times and never had the disgusting biofilms in the reservoir. Less congested also!

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
There are better devices than SoClean at 1/2 the price.
YES! Use Distilled Water!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8401 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't need a cleaning machine, Ozone or otherwise. Manually clean it yourself. It's fast and easy.

Use distilled water. If traveling, especially internationally and can't access distilled water, use bottled water in the humidifier. Depending on the International destination, Tap water, from the hotel, as last, last, resort can work with a good cleaning once home (or designate it as a 'travel' water tank).

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don’t know…..
I’ve had a cpap going on 15 years and never used the reservoir until moving back to Colorado 4 years ago.

I picked up the SoClean last year and really couldn’t say if it is doing anything special other than make my mask smell like ozone.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5762 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
You don't wan't to use any machine that generates ozone as it can damage the mask and machine. Ozone is what Phillips blamed their recall on. Soap and water works great. I wash mine every Sunday.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yep, dish soap hand wash, air dry.

Posts: 17224 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too use distilled water only. In 20 years of CPAP use, I discovered that if I wash my face before going to sleep, it keeps the mask clean. I don't clean my gear, and I have had no issues. Hope this helps.

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I've always used distilled water in it.

posted Hide Post
I have used a Phillips and Soclean that I got from DowntownRV a couple yers ago, and just got the new one from Philips a couple months ago. I have used the SoClean twice a week from the start along with distilled water and have had good results. I hand wash everything in the soclean cleaner probably twice a year..Its working for me, I really like the new Dreamstation 2.

Posts: 450 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Daily Mask Soap clean to degrease. Monthly Filter clean and replace. Use Household cleaner and ACV Vinegar in hose and disassembled mask and water chamber.

My DME pushed the So-Clean in the beginning. Hell, it's his industry - Spend that money. I never did and glad I didn't. Nothing like a good ACV douche.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post