SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grilled Filet Mignon and Scallops
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grilled Filet Mignon and Scallops Login/Join 
posted
It was surf and turf time last night.

Here we have a nice half-pound filet, and 5 beautiful U-10 day boat scallops:

Grilled them both this time (no time for sous vide). Served with a side of grilled asparagus, mashed Yukon gold potatoes (made with blue cheese and chives), and tartar sauce. Oh, and a nice glass of Pinot Noir too.

Filet is served at a Thermapen-verified 132°F:

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Good to see the quarter back. And the steak Smile

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16722 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks delicious.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
As always, perfectly cooked and nicely photographed.

Tell me about your recipe for the mashed Yukon Golds with blue cheese and chives.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23308 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Eek

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Looks absolutely superb!!!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8537 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
As always, perfectly cooked and nicely photographed.

Tell me about your recipe for the mashed Yukon Golds with blue cheese and chives.

Thanks.

So that is my take on a semi-healthy mashed potato recipe.

I don't really strictly measure any of the ingredients, but here is how I prepare them:

Boil, strain, and mashed the potatoes. Then add 2% milk and reduced fat sour cream, and mix until the texture is smooth and the consistency is to your liking. Then add a small amount of butter (like a teaspoon or less), minced fresh chives, and season with salt and pepper to taste. The final step is to add just enough blue cheese to give the mixture a nice umami-type depth of flavor. Heat to melt the butter and cheese and stir to blend all of the ingredients well.

You should not be able to single out the taste of the blue cheese. Use just enough to give this fairly low-fat mixture a boost of flavor so that it does not taste low fat.

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
That looks great!

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. That looks delicious.

Posts: 765 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
If I ever hit the lottery I’ll be making you a very lucrative offer to become my personal chef...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10948 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks great.
How did you season the scallops and what temperature did you cook them to?
I'm not big on seafood but do like scallops and those look delicious.

Posts: 1971 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
Looks great.
How did you season the scallops and what temperature did you cook them to?
I'm not big on seafood but do like scallops and those look delicious.

I like to brine my scallops before I cook them. I find that removing moisture by brining allows the scallops to develop a nice golden crust (or sear marks) much more easily.

So I coat them in a mixture of Kosher salt and sugar, and let them rest for 20 - 30 minutes. You will notice that this draws out quite a bit of moisture from the scallops.

Then I rinse the scallops in an ice water bath and dry them thoroughly with paper towels.

After that they get simply seasoned with salt and a little fresh ground pepper.

I grill (or sear) them over high heat. Then pull them when the internal temperature (thank you Thermapen) is around 127°F.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Your dinner is my go to monthly dinner....every part of it.

Looks exactly like I'd cook it too, great job and thanks for the pics!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12345 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Of all the threads to open the morning after I skipped dinner! I am a glutton...for punishment.

That looks amazing.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
With a meal like that you would think that there would be some protection!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
That is splendid!

And unprotected, let's get it, boys!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34133 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
EZ, didn’t your momma ever tell you to “never bring it out if you didn’t have enough for everyone?”
Yeah, I know she was talking about candy, but that sure looks like candy to a carnivore. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
That looks so tasty it makes me hungry, and it's not even lunch time yet!

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post