SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Joy-flying teens arrested
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joy-flying teens arrested Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Take off and flight of a simple single engine light plane is pretty easy, especially with even a little computer simulation time. If you can get her started and understand how the brakes and rudder work to get it lined up, just go to wide open throttle and apply gentle back pressure on the yoke, she'll fly when she's ready.

Like my first flight instructor told me, "this plane has been flying longer than you've been alive, it knows how to fly, you just guide it a little."

Landing is the harder part, but given space to line up a long straight final and a good approach speed, not too hard. It just wouldn't look pretty without a "seat of the pants" understanding of the flare.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although I could probably make it down in a Cessna 172 if I started with enough altitude. Over, say, Prescott AZ.

Doesn't matter which aircraft or how much altitude they start with, they all come down eventually.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Although I could probably make it down in a Cessna 172 if I started with enough altitude. Over, say, Prescott AZ.
Doesn't matter which aircraft or how much altitude they start with, they all come down eventually.
Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

As my old Chief Pilot said once, "I've never know anybody to leave one up there". Wink

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Flight simulators can't prepare you for the kinesthetic sensations.

They really can, and do; so much so and so realistically that in most cases those obtaining a type rating have never set foot in the cockpit before.

The little computer games aren't simulators. They're games.

It's not necessary to have a feel-experience to learn to fly an airplane, however, as we've seen by the theft of the Dash 8.

I believe if a simulator was used, it was surly a consumer version. I would think most folks that feel the sensations of flight for the first time at the yoke would be ill prepared to deal with a setup, approach and landing. I'm voting one of them had lessons in the last. Or they'd have crashed. I'd bet money.

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I dunno. Youth are invincible and immortal. It would never occur to them that something could go wrong and they could die. Given a long enough runway, an adequately fueled and non-defective aircraft with no control locks involved, it isn’t that hard, especially if you aren’t worried about making a great* landing. Sure, there is an element of luck involved for someone with no real training, but flying a light plane isn’t rocket science, especially when it has a nosewheel.

Famous aviation quote, “Any landing you can walk away from is a good one. Any landing you can walk away from and re-use the airplane without major maintenance is a Great one.”

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post