SIGforum
Removing a Wine Cork Without a Corkscrew…

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3790008284

June 19, 2021, 07:35 PM
mbinky
Removing a Wine Cork Without a Corkscrew…
So we recently got a case of wine. Duplin is pretty good. So tonight the girl wanted to open a bottle but she misplaced the opener last week. Now, I carry a Swiss Army knife all day and every day but I have never carried one with a corkscrew. Useless appendage. So how do I open the bottle? Hmmm…what’s in the tool box in the garage….

Milwaukee drill and an extractor set. Left hand drill bits. We might get lucky. So I took the 1/4” bit and drilled halfway through the cork hoping it would back out. No dice. So I chucked in the corresponding Sleazy-Out and viola! The cork spun right out. Easy Peasy.

This is a public service message Smile

June 19, 2021, 07:38 PM
triggertreat
A drywall screw and a pair if pliers works too. Smile

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!
June 19, 2021, 07:45 PM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
A drywall screw and a pair if pliers works too. Smile

Nice tip!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
June 19, 2021, 07:51 PM
OttoSig
I'm low-class enough I'll push the cork in and drink the wine.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!
June 19, 2021, 08:04 PM
rburg
How about just unscrew the cap?

Unhappy ammo seeker
June 19, 2021, 08:14 PM
beermann
Here to second pushing in the cork.
June 19, 2021, 09:14 PM
ridewv
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
How about just unscrew the cap?

That or just open the box and pull out the spout! Smile

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.
June 19, 2021, 09:27 PM
P210
I’m with OttoSig and beermann. Smile
June 19, 2021, 09:32 PM
slosig
Was at a meeting recently where a celebratory bottle of wine was brought, but no cork screw. Drew on the wine tasting class I took in college. Take off a shoe, take off the foil, hold the bottle on a 45 degree angle neck down. Beat (gently) on the butt of the bottle until the cork sticks out far enough to grab it, then turn the bottle right side up and manually pull the cork out. Good party trick, but the first time I ever had to use it.
June 19, 2021, 10:00 PM
Nismo
In a hurry, you can always use something like a stick and pound the cork all the way into the bottle but you will have to commit to drinking the whole thing as you will have no cork to plug it back for later.
June 20, 2021, 09:48 AM
Apphunter
Wood screw and a flat pry bar is the best solution I have found for this particular problem
June 20, 2021, 10:30 AM
Flash-LB
I thought the best wine came in a cardboard box with a screw top.

Who knew?
June 20, 2021, 11:44 AM
CPD SIG
Wire coat hanger and a leatherman / pair of pliers.

Twist the wire coat hanger into the shape of a corkscrew with the pliers.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy
June 20, 2021, 02:27 PM
Fredward
Somebody had a better college than me. I just had criminal justice classes and Spanish. Of course, Cermano often held classes in a bar, so...
June 20, 2021, 08:55 PM
ersatzknarf
One could always saber the bottle, like they do with sham-pag-knee Wink

June 20, 2021, 09:11 PM
David Lee
mbinky has that machine for lifting the turrett off a tank. I bet that baby would pull a cork.
June 20, 2021, 09:20 PM
Il Cattivo
A case of Duplin and a Swiss Army knife without a corkscrew? I'm all for creativity, especially when it works so neatly. But the corkscrew is the difference between a scholar's knife and a gentleman and a scholar's knife.
June 21, 2021, 12:03 AM
iron chef
I EDC a SAK that has a can-opener but no corkscrew. I've successfully used the method below to open wine bottles. It takes a little more effort, and I prefer to position the SAK at a 90 deg angle to get more torque on it.

This technique also works w/ Leatherman type plier tools that have can-openers.
June 21, 2021, 12:25 AM
kkina
No corkscrew? Try a corkshoe!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
June 21, 2021, 06:44 AM
rburg
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
In a hurry, you can always use something like a stick and pound the cork all the way into the bottle but you will have to commit to drinking the whole thing as you will have no cork to plug it back for later.

Why is that a problem? Or a 2nd or 3rd bottle? Y'all live dull lives!

Unhappy ammo seeker