SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Removing a Wine Cork Without a Corkscrew…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing a Wine Cork Without a Corkscrew… Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
So we recently got a case of wine. Duplin is pretty good. So tonight the girl wanted to open a bottle but she misplaced the opener last week. Now, I carry a Swiss Army knife all day and every day but I have never carried one with a corkscrew. Useless appendage. So how do I open the bottle? Hmmm…what’s in the tool box in the garage….

Milwaukee drill and an extractor set. Left hand drill bits. We might get lucky. So I took the 1/4” bit and drilled halfway through the cork hoping it would back out. No dice. So I chucked in the corresponding Sleazy-Out and viola! The cork spun right out. Easy Peasy.

This is a public service message Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A drywall screw and a pair if pliers works too. Smile

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
A drywall screw and a pair if pliers works too. Smile

Nice tip!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20839 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I'm low-class enough I'll push the cork in and drink the wine.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6343 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
How about just unscrew the cap?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I waited 10 years
for this
posted Hide Post
Here to second pushing in the cork.

Posts: 133 | Location: nebraska | Registered: January 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
How about just unscrew the cap?

That or just open the box and pull out the spout! Smile

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7112 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I’m with OttoSig and beermann. Smile

Posts: 6957 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Was at a meeting recently where a celebratory bottle of wine was brought, but no cork screw. Drew on the wine tasting class I took in college. Take off a shoe, take off the foil, hold the bottle on a 45 degree angle neck down. Beat (gently) on the butt of the bottle until the cork sticks out far enough to grab it, then turn the bottle right side up and manually pull the cork out. Good party trick, but the first time I ever had to use it.

Posts: 6923 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
In a hurry, you can always use something like a stick and pound the cork all the way into the bottle but you will have to commit to drinking the whole thing as you will have no cork to plug it back for later.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
Wood screw and a flat pry bar is the best solution I have found for this particular problem

Posts: 915 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I thought the best wine came in a cardboard box with a screw top.

Who knew?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wire coat hanger and a leatherman / pair of pliers.

Twist the wire coat hanger into the shape of a corkscrew with the pliers.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somebody had a better college than me. I just had criminal justice classes and Spanish. Of course, Cermano often held classes in a bar, so...

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
One could always saber the bottle, like they do with sham-pag-knee Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
mbinky has that machine for lifting the turrett off a tank. I bet that baby would pull a cork.

Posts: 17920 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
A case of Duplin and a Swiss Army knife without a corkscrew? I'm all for creativity, especially when it works so neatly. But the corkscrew is the difference between a scholar's knife and a gentleman and a scholar's knife.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I EDC a SAK that has a can-opener but no corkscrew. I've successfully used the method below to open wine bottles. It takes a little more effort, and I prefer to position the SAK at a 90 deg angle to get more torque on it.

This technique also works w/ Leatherman type plier tools that have can-openers.

Posts: 3189 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
No corkscrew? Try a corkshoe!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16387 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
In a hurry, you can always use something like a stick and pound the cork all the way into the bottle but you will have to commit to drinking the whole thing as you will have no cork to plug it back for later.

Why is that a problem? Or a 2nd or 3rd bottle? Y'all live dull lives!

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post