SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    LEO Input Needed - Duty Holster Options
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEO Input Needed - Duty Holster Options Login/Join 
Serenity now!
posted
I am able to utilize an RDS and need a new holster. Requirements remain a level three retention and I will be using a WML.

I am debating between the 6360 RDS or the 7360 RDS. Does anyone have comments or experience with both to offer an opinion/comparison?

ETA - Glock 17 MOS w/ RMR and SF x300U.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sig 226,

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2659 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

I'll take a 6XXX-series over a 7XXX-series any day... The 7XXXs are noticeably flimsier construction. We've even had some crack/collapse during dynamic training. (Safariland put out a bulletin about that a while back...)

The only real thing the 7XXXs do slightly better is the RDS cover. But a better holster with a worse RDS cover is preferable to a worse holster with a better RDS cover.

If you've used a non-RDS 6360 before, note that the ALS system on the 6360RDS is slightly modified/redesigned, since it's now having to work around the open RDS area. As a result, the ALS lever has a noticeably longer throw on the RDS models compared to the old non-RDS 6360. Feels almost like it has to travel an whole extra inch rearward before it disengages. So even if you've carried a 6360 before, be sure to practice with the 6360RDS until you've readjusted your draw memory to avoid short-stroking the ALS.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We use the 6360 for our full-size P320 RXs with TLR-1. No complaints from me about the holster, it works as designed. I've not used the 7360, but a neighboring agency got them and one of their instructors told me they wish they had ours. I'm not sure what his specific issue with the 7360 was, but I'm perfectly happy with the 6360.

In weapon retention training, we found that the mag release is pretty exposed and there's a good chance it's going to get depressed and drop your mag in a fight over your gun...but the retention works as it should and the gun won't come out unless it's deactivated. They picked my 190lbs up off the ground with it and it held together. Not sure how the 7360 compares in that regard...I imagine it would be similar.

Just be sure to lube the hood hinge to ease operation and get rid of that gritty feel, and I also recommend to all our guys to make sure they draw 4-500 times before taking a new holster on the street. In my experience the 6360s are a tight fit when new and the front sight will shave plastic on the draw, and sometimes even hang up until it wears in.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I've not used the 7360, but a neighboring agency got them and one of their instructors told me they wish they had ours. I'm not sure what his specific issue with the 7360 was, but I'm perfectly happy with the 6360.

Go handle one of theirs if you get a chance. You'll notice right away that it's much cheaper/flimsier. It's just two halves of thinner plastic folded together with a seam running down the front, as opposed to the beefier plastic and more rigid all-around/wraparound construction of the 6360s.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The 7xxx series duty holsters sucks. They don’t seem to fit the gun/light combination well. We even went back to the 6xxx paddle holsters.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
63XX series all day long…

It was a long drawn out slog to get our dept to approve RDS and a big part was holsters.

With the 63XX I was able to show as close to “no difference” when it came to retention as possible, and they do seem to be more “duty level” construction to me….

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the 6 series as stated above. 7 series is a bucket. You may have to go find your optic cover every now and then though.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
6300 series, all day, every day.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Not a LEO, but I have a 7xxx and a 6xxx.

I’d take the 6xxx everyday even if I had to pay for it myself.

If you need one now or want a color wrap, check with RDRGear. I’ve got a 6xxx that he wrapped and it’s very nice. He had some hi-gloss as well not long ago.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I'm going to disagree with the majority here.

The newest 6360's are made in Mexico and the quality has gone down somewhat significantly as compared to a few years back.

The latest 7360's are way better than the ones made just a couple years ago. The newest ones have a reinforcement band that wraps around the holster. Order directly from Safariland to make sure you don't get one that was sitting on shelf.

US Duty Gear is also a great option. They are the former Safariland employees that used to make the 6XXX series holsters in the US using the same equipment they bought from Safariland at auction.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4191 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're a cop, go register at Expert Voice and complete their Safariland module for a 40% off coupon code. Says there's a dollar limit and it can't be used on duty holsters, but it's always worked for me. Gets the prices down to something manageable.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the Alien Gear, Rapid Force Duty Holster would be an option for Glock, S&W and SIG firearms. You can configure mounting the way you want when ordering (belt slide, paddle, MOLLE, or drop leg), ride height, light/no light, etc. It also accepts all the big name brands of tactical lights and has Level 2 & 3 retention options.

Police1: Alien Gear Interviews Milspec_Mojo on Rapid Force review video.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
There is a technical memo from safariland saying that if you get into a good fight with a 7xxx series holster which stresses the holster shell, it should be thrown out and replaced.

Need anything else?

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
while not LEO I will toss my opinion of the 7378 RDS with my P320 FS with RDS. I do not like it. The gun fits odd into it. It does show wear on the slide where it contacts the holster. While that doesn't bother me, my guns are shot not safe queens. Safariland said this is normal, and not an issue. The holster does seem kinda flimsy and in a ground fight with a doped-up user in a very cold climate I could see this style of holster (7362) having issues. On the range no issues.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We've been using the 6360RDS for over two years. I just had one where the SLS lever stopped working and Safariland is sending out a new lever.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
US Duty Gear is also a great option. They are the former Safariland employees that used to make the 6XXX series holsters in the US using the same equipment they bought from Safariland at auction.

Interesting, how long have they been around? Their options are pretty limited, no .45/10mm Glock models. I’m not a cop, but I like the 6k style holster for carrying a pistol+wml with a pack, fishing, or LARPing. I would pay a premium if they had a “custom shop,” and could make a holster for my comped .460R G21.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for all your input, I really appreciate it.

It looks like the majority is suggesting to stick with a tried and true 6360 series over the 7360. This will be the path forward.

Thanks for the suggestion of expert voice and using their discount @DaBigBR. I saw the disclaimer and will try to use it regardless of them saying it doesn't apply to Duty holsters.

To those working today, head on a swivel and stay safe..

Thanks again everyone for all your input.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2659 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Not a LEO, I have a Gen 5 17 RDS with X300 and use a 6354DO. I wouldn't recommend this for duty because it lacks a hood, and occasionally requires a little modification. Most of the guys I shoot with (some of which are LEOs), pretty much ALL carry/shoot with the 6360.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would also stick with the Safariland holsters. I have carried Gould & Goodrich, Bianchi, Blackhawk, and Safariland on duty and the Safarilands are by far the best.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One more thing to consider is the dust cover hood. I took mine off. My concern is if that hood gets rotated back you will have a difficult time trying to holster your gun. There is no spring or assist on the hood to keep it open, its just some very light friction.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post