SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATT Phone PUK Code Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATT Phone PUK Code Question Login/Join 
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted
My mom had a Samsung phone that was only 3G capable. AT&T sent a new AT&T model to replace it because 3G is no longer supported. My son helped her to set it up and it worked for a couple of weeks. Last night she got a notice on the phone saying; "SIM card is now disabled, enter PUK code to continue. You have 10 remaining attempts to enter code before sim card becomes unusable. Contact carrier for details."

When she contacted the AT&T store they gave her a number for customer service. When she contacted customer service they told her go to the store. Catch 22. After a Google search I thought that I might be able to find the code in my account, but I didn't see anything about a PUK code and the only thing that says anything about unlocking something said the device can't be unlocked.

I'm wondering if it is locked because it is using a Samsung SIM card; but wouldn't it have not worked at all if they were incompatible? Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Not too surprising that both AT&T customer NO-service and the store were incompetent. Wink

This might help: https://www.att.com/support/ar.../wireless/KM1011771/

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
ATT lost our business because of that kind of stuff.

I’m on Consumer Cellular now. Their customer service is excellent. And their representatives speak US english.

Posts: 26942 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
When ATT sent the replacement phone, it should have come with a SIM already installed.
At least that is what I have seen/read in every case so far regarding the 3G sunset phones.

I would go to an AT&T company store (not authorized reseller) and make them give you a new SIM.

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
In theory, ATT SHOULD be able to provide the code, but they will only do it for the account holder after verifying their identity and much passive aggressiveness. Easiest thing to do honestly would be to go to the store and have them give you a new SIM and update the account.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Going to a Corporate store is the right answer, but finding one is becoming increasingly difficult.

The PUK code is to "unlock" a phone or SIM card to be able to use another carrier. Being that this is ATT with an ATT SIM, I'm thinking you are either using an incompatible SIM/Phone/Plan combo.

A new SIM card should solve the issue, but that also needs to be provisioned correctly.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask your son. Did your son use the pre-installed (new) SIM or swap it out with the SIM from the old phone?

"Worked for a couple of weeks" sounds like the 30 days they mention below.

My 3G phone is being replaced and this is what AT&T sent me.
quote:
You should receive your free cell phone in the next few weeks. Once you get it, just set it up using the simple instructions in the box. If you don’t activate your new cell phone, we will automatically activate it in approximately 30 days. Once your new cell phone is activated, your current cell phone will only be able to call 911 and 611 until February 2022 when we sunset our 3G network.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13409 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post