SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Drunk Canadians have been calling this Louisiana grandma for years: report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drunk Canadians have been calling this Louisiana grandma for years: report Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
At some point, I would just get a new number.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
It would be prett cool if someone organized a free trip for her Canada as a thanks for dealing with it all these years since she has never been.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
There was an operation that had a number identical to mine, but in another area code. They decided to eliminate their local number as a cost-cutting measure. Consequently, people would try the other area code number, omitting the area code.

After trying to work with them to get the problem mitigated, and them being entirely uncooperative, I simply changed my answering machine greeting to one that was decidedly uncomplimentary to the business in question.

Almost as if by magic the problem somehow went away Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I'd be answering and saying "ok, your rides on the way".

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
While 337 is the area code for Sulpher, La, I'm not sure how dialing 337-5273 would connect to her number. No matter how you looke at it, it's few digits short.
How are they doing it?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Because the drunks dial the "1", then dial the exchange prefix, forget they dialed it and redial the prefix. We had a number many years ago the the exchange prefix was the same as the first three numbers of our line. When we would ask them the number they called called, of the last four the first three were always the same.

After awhile we requested a number change. Ma Bell gave us one without charge. Seems the service rep had seen the same thing before.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8120 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Damn Canadians, again! When are we going to rise up against the tyrannical, dystopianic, cruel, regime that is Canada!

As a Minnesotan, I defend this great nation by thwarting the evil of the cold dark, north land that is Canada. I yearn for the day when the satanic curse of the Maple Leaf dies a chilly death, and Iowans roam free, no longer in need of the vigilance Minnesotans must display, lest they loose their last, best, defense. Alas, 'tis a lonely path I trod, yet one that I must follow.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Damn Canadians, again! When are we going to rise up against the tyrannical, dystopianic, cruel, regime that is Canada!

As a Minnesotan, I defend this great nation by thwarting the evil of the cold dark, north land that is Canada. I yearn for the day when the satanic curse of the Maple Leaf dies a chilly death, and Iowans roam free, no longer in need of the vigilance Minnesotans must display, lest they loose their last, best, defense. Alas, 'tis a lonely path I trod, yet one that I must follow.

H&K-Guy
There is a time to think and a time to act, and this gentlemen [spins revolver cylinder] is no time to think.

Surrender Pronto or We'll Level Toronto!

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23306 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ditto

damn frostbacks

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 20 years ago, the worst hotel room you could have was room 180. Why? Business travelers in the late 1990's would frequently check in and make call after call using their toll free calling card. To use those cards, the card holder would simply call the access number, most commonly 1-800-xxx-xxxx, then the number they wanted to reach. Woe unto you if you were checked into room 180 as nearly all hotel phone systems required you to dial 8 or 9 to get an outside line, then dial your 1-800 number. Forget to dial 8 or 9 and you get room 180. Can't count the times I had to disconnect the phone to get any sleep.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Through an unfortunate series of events, we got a new number some years back.

We had a funny greeting on our answering machine, a scumbag heard it and passed it along and it went viral - calls from bars at 2a, etc.

I asked the phone company for 0429 or 4290 as I am a 44 guy, but they refused. Some bullshit excuses and assigned me 4411.

Turns out a local cemetery has almost the same number, save for one digit in the prefix.

So...

When the bereaved called me when the number was new to us, I was confused, but quickly caught on and I'm sure you can understand that they mean no harm and were suffering, hence the mis-dial.

So, I give them a break and tell them they mis-dialed the prefix. No harm, no foul.

Seems the cemetary did something to make this problem go away as the calls are greatly minimized these days.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
When I first moved into my current home (34 years ago) I used to get calls for a Battery Shop. Apparently it had a number that was very similar--maybe the other Area Code. For some reason, those wrong calls petered out and I haven't had one for years.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many drunk Canadians have had accidents or DUIs because they never got thier ride home and decided to drive themselves?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post