SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    People Driving Around With Hazard Lights On?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People Driving Around With Hazard Lights On? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
When did this become a thing? Or is it just a Pennsylvania thing?

I’ve noticed in the past couple of years more and more people are driving around with their hazard lights on for some reason. I was out with the family today and on the drive home we passed this person with the hazards on driving rather slowly for the highway speed and I assumed it was some scared little old lady, I took a look and it was some young girl.

The only time I’ve ever driven with my hazards on is when I’ve had to use a spare donut tire on my car and could not go over something like 40-45 miles an hour on a highway with a 55 mph speed limit.

Anyone else seeing this?

Posts: 33834 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Folks seem to think it's a "drive however I want to" button.

Most often seen by folks doing half the speed limit, because it happens to be raining.

Posts: 32534 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
^^^ I can at least understand what those people are thinking - being visible driving slow in reduced visibility.

The REAL assholes are the people who flip on the hazards to text and drive. Seen it several times now Mad

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately yes, and it's annoying. Hazards are when a vehicle is somehow under duress or creating a potential hazard for others. More and more drivers seem to use it because they think they're safer.

Dan

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Pretty common around these parts of Arkansas.
Mentally challenged?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every time it rains around here.
If you need hazards lights, you need to get off the highway. The real problem is there is virtually zero traffic enforcement. Stupid never hurts. No learning experience.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 334 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
A lot of assholes in FL do this when it rains. I resist the urge to PIT them when I see it.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9695 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:

A lot of assholes in FL do this when it rains. I resist the urge to PIT them when I see it.
So far, I have successfully fought the temptation to move in front of them and very, very, gradually reduce speed. Sort of a "brake check" in extremely slow motion.
If it's raining hard enough that you feel the need to use the hazard flashers, why not pull off the road, under an overpass? Torrential rain usually doesn't last very long.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30706 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is illegal in Texas, but people do it often.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I came out of the grocery store and saw an older couple (even older than my 86 years Smile ) in the parking space next to my car.

He was in the driver seat, door open. She was outside the car, looking at something, and discussing it with him; they seemed to be concerned about something.

I put my groceries in my car and asked if they had a problem.

The woman pointed at the tail lights and said, "They're all flashing."

I looked in the open driver's door, saw where the switch was, and told the driver to push the button with the red triangle. They were amazed when the lights stopped flashing.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30706 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I just want people to stop driving with their high beams on. It doesn’t matter if it’s daylight out, they still burn a spot into my retina.

I’ve not seen the widespread hazard light thing but I did drive for a couple miles with mine on because I forgot to turn them off today.

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
We have special kinds of stupid around here but I haven’t seen this yet.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12743 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

It was illegal in Florida until July, 2021, when it became permissible under certain conditions including "extreme low visibility" including rain, smoke and fog, on roads with speed limits at or above 55 mph.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Lots of idiots in Florida do it. Also lots of idiots driving without headlights on or those driving with just DRLs on.

Don’t even get me started on the idiots cruising in the left hand lane. I wish they’d give FHP troopers a commission on tickets to make the asshole drivers hurt in their wallets. It’s also why I prefer driving at night as much as I can. The amateurs have gone home for the night so it’s on the professionals driving.

Posts: 13132 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I just want people to stop driving with their high beams on. It doesn’t matter if it’s daylight out, they still burn a spot into my retina...

They don't even have to put the high beams on these days. Those new goddamned LED headlights do the job just fine. Mad

Q

Posts: 26436 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

It was illegal in Florida until July, 2021, when it became permissible under certain conditions including "extreme low visibility" including rain, smoke and fog, on roads with speed limits at or above 55 mph.

The issue with it, is at night, the glare is worse with the hazards. Yes you're more visible, but you're killing the visibility of whoever is behind you

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15359 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In torrential downpours where visibility is highly reduced I absolutely turn on my headlights and hazards on the freeway until you get to better vis conditions. Seems like common sense and even the law recognizes that.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Three across doing 35mph. That’s my favorite.

Posts: 10987 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
When did this become a thing? Or is it just a Pennsylvania thing?

I’ve noticed in the past couple of years more and more people are driving around with their hazard lights on for some reason. I was out with the family today and on the drive home we passed this person with the hazards on driving rather slowly for the highway speed and I assumed it was some scared little old lady, I took a look and it was some young girl.

The only time I’ve ever driven with my hazards on is when I’ve had to use a spare donut tire on my car and could not go over something like 40-45 miles an hour on a highway with a 55 mph speed limit.

Anyone else seeing this?

Maybe it keeps people from jumping on the hood! Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say it's a "thing," but I do see it from time to time. Most recently, inexplicably, I saw it on a pickup truck towing a large flatbed trailer. It was inexplicable because, although dark (just after sunset), the weather was perfect, and he was not only keeping up with traffic, but passing slower traffic in the left lane.

Posts: 27975 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post