SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Covid-19 Unemployment Fraud May Have Topped $45 Billion, Watchdog Estimates
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Covid-19 Unemployment Fraud May Have Topped $45 Billion, Watchdog Estimates Login/Join 
posted
People used Social Security numbers from dead, imprisoned to get money from program meant to help those laid off during pandemic

Criminals potentially stole an estimated $45.6 billion by making fraudulent unemployment insurance claims meant for people laid off during the Covid-19 pandemic, a government watchdog said.

The new tally is nearly three times last summer’s estimate of over $16 billion in fraudulent payments.

More than half of the potential fraud identified between March 2020 and April 2022 stemmed from individuals filing for benefits in multiple states. Fraudsters also used the Social Security numbers of people who were dead or in prison, as well as suspicious email addresses, the Labor Department’s inspector general’s office said in a report released Thursday.

More than 1,000 people have been charged with crimes involving unemployment insurance fraud since March 2020, the report said.

The inspector general’s office said it didn’t have access to the most current federal prisoner data for its report and focused on other high-risk areas of fraud.

The pandemic unemployment insurance program, started in March 2020, gave those who lost their jobs an extra $600 a week in federal aid at first, which was later reduced to $300 a week. The supplemental benefit expired last year.

More than $872 billion in pandemic aid has been paid out since March 2020, according to the inspector general’s office.

The hundreds of billions in pandemic funds attracted people seeking to exploit the unemployment program, “resulting in historic levels of fraud and other improper payments,” said Larry Turner, inspector general for the Labor Department, in a statement Thursday.

A spokesman for the Labor Department, when asked for a comment, referred to a letter the agency drafted in response to the investigation. The letter said the agency agreed with the inspector general’s assessment regarding an increase in fraud across the U.S. during the pandemic. The department is also committed to finding new tools and strategies to combat fraud, the letter said.

The report only covered a few specific areas of fraud. The overall amount of fraudulent payments made during the pandemic is likely much higher, said Matt Weidinger, a senior fellow at the right-leaning American Enterprise Institute think tank.

“While these [numbers] are shocking and huge, they fall far short of what we expect these numbers to be,” he said.

Overall, about 19% of unemployment insurance money was misspent during the pandemic, up from around 9% before the pandemic, according to a Government Accountability Office report released in June. Some of that overspending was likely due to people who mistakenly were sent benefits after they had returned to work rather than outright fraud, the report said.

Speaking before Congress in March, Mr. Turner said such a large improper payments rate represents about $163 billion in overpayments “with a significant portion attributable to fraud.”

States across the U.S. began to grapple with unemployment fraud shortly after the pandemic hit in early 2020. Surging unemployment claims—which hit record highs at the onset of Covid-19—was one reason states were more vulnerable to fraud.

U.S. lawmakers said the report should prompt state and federal officials to better prevent Covid-19 benefit fraud in the future.
PHOTO: KEVIN LAMARQUE/BLOOMBERG NEWS
Many states also entered the pandemic with antiquated technology that left them underprepared to detect and weed out fraudulent claimants.

Criminals often use stolen Social Security numbers, birth dates and other personal information to apply for benefits. Fraud led many states to temporarily freeze unemployment payments, at times affecting hundreds of thousands of claims, including legitimate ones for laid-off workers.

Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle said the report should prompt state and federal officials to better prevent fraud in the future.

“I’ve long said we need a national set of technology and security standards for state systems to better prevent this kind of fraud and we’re going to keep working to get our reforms passed,” said Sen. Ron Wyden (D., Ore.), who chairs the Senate Finance Committee.

“The government has an obligation to taxpayers to recover as much of this stolen money as possible,” said Sen. Susan Collins (R., Maine).

In August, Ms. Collins joined with several other Republican senators to introduce legislation to claw back fraudulent payments.

The report on fraud comes as the White House is seeking $22.4 billion in new aid for Covid-19 from Congress. Federal officials have said the funding is critical to help develop and purchase more durable vaccines that prevent transmission and breakthrough infections. Republicans have so far opposed any new spending.

LINK: https://www.wsj.com/articles/c...=3&mod=WTRN#cxrecs_s

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
After reading this I can only shake my head in disbelief, however it does not surprise me.
I am glad my wife and I never had children who are some day going to have to find a way to pay for all of this.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
After reading this I can only shake my head in disbelief, however it does not surprise me.
I am glad my wife and I never had children who are some day going to have to find a way to pay for all of this.

You and me both. Never having kids was the smartest thing I've ever done and friends who don't have kids agree with me.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
This money has been stolen and somewhere near 97% of all the hundreds of billions of Covid money sent to states for schools is still unspent (i.e. waiting to be stolen). Tell me again why I waste time paying my taxes throughout the year and filing a tax return every year. I'm starting to think all of us are the fools for adhering to the law an trying to do what's right.
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
You and me both. Never having kids was the smartest thing I've ever done and friends who don't have kids agree with me.
I wouldn't trade my son for anything but from a pure monetary point of view, he cost me a small fortune. Aside from all the regular costs, I sent him to private school from Kindergarten through 8th grade at an average rate of $10k a year, all while paying "my fair share" in taxes for public school he never spent a day at.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I just heard I think Denver is using money(some from the covid relief program) for a program to give homeless people a guaranteed income.
I heard it would be around $1000 dollars a month and they were going to try it for a year.
So my question, how does this relate to Covid. If the town had the money left over why do they not just give it back.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
And people don’t understand why I get infuriated when the subject of taxes come up. Mad

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There better be a lot of people in prison soon...

Unfortunately, I know better.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Also covid ppp small buisness loans given to rich hollywood people, who are millionaires.

https://observer.com/2020/07/c...nye-west-kardashian/

Posts: 1553 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post