SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a new SUV: experiences
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a new SUV: experiences Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Toyota Highlander.

My wife grumbled about its higher price compared to its “competitors”. Now, she is so sold on its quality and reliability that she won’t even consider a different vehicle.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6425 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the replies so far. Nothing is really off the table at this point, I was just listing the vehicles that had grabbed my wife’s interest thus far.

Just for more context, the third row will be primarily for when we take road trips, and bring the dog along with us. He’s 90 pounds and needs his own space, so he’s not crowding out our daughter. Having cargo room for luggage is needed as well, if we can fit two suitcases behind the third row, we should be good.

Last spring, we did a road trip from S.C. Up through NC, VA, WV, PA, MD, and NJ with the dog, and it was doable, as he was only 6-7 months old. Now, taking the dog with us even to the local park is a bit much, since he’s now full grown. It’s time for a new vehicle anyway, so we might as well get something that accommodates our current needs.

Posts: 1627 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
This may not be as popular as the Toyota fan boys but the OP may want to also consider the Jeep Grand Cherokee L.

My wife has had most of the ones suggested here but constantly goes back to the GC. The suv is very comfortable and her’s had full time 4WD which is a plus in our area. The new ones are getting mid 20’s on the highway and they are very solid and we have had minimal issues with any of them.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just for more context, the third row will be primarily for when we take road trips, and bring the dog along with us. He’s 90 pounds and needs his own space, so he’s not crowding out our daughter. Having cargo room for luggage is needed as well, if we can fit two suitcases behind the third row, we should be good.

2 fairly small suitcases will fit with the 3rd row seat up. But if it is for the dog and not people I would keep the seats folded down throw the dog bed on one side and your suitcases on the other.

They make the cargo mats that cover the folded down row. It will be far easier for the dog to get in and out of the back than the side doors. Your seats will also be protected and easier clean up.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25448 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I liked the Subaru Ascent enough to order a loaded one. Unfortunately, it did not fit well in my garage, allowing the hatch to open and close with the garage door closed. I cancelled, but that was the only reason.

Posts: 4025 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Get the brand new Sequoia. It's roomy, has lots of power and torque, she's twin turbo, with all options it's still under 80 grand. And, it's big enough for Black92... Big Grin. Heck, you get one too Bkack92... Big Grin. You guys post up some pictures K?

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Get the brand new Sequoia. It's roomy, has lots of power and torque, she's twin turbo, with all options it's still under 80 grand. And, it's big enough for Black92... Big Grin. Heck, you get one to Bkack92... Big Grin. You guys post up some pictures K?

No, the new Sequoia is not big enough cargo wise. If it was we’d have never gotten the Suburban. There is zero room behind the 3rd row and to top it off the little room it has (at least the prior model) is angled down toward the back and everything rolls out when you open the hatch. If they made an extended wheel base model we’d have one.
The Grand Highlander will have more passenger and cargo room than the new Sequoia and likely $20k cheaper.
Can’t wait for the actual release and hope I am not super disappointed in size and price.
Folks are claiming base Grand Highlander will be $45k making the AWD Hybrid closer to $55k. Trying to put as much money away as I can as I’d like to be closer to the $45k but won’t own a vehicle without AWD that is not a RWD sports car.
I am leery of the turbo 4s in a vehicle of its size but may not be a deal breaker.

————————————————

The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

2 fairly small suitcases will fit with the 3rd row seat up. But if it is for the dog and not people I would keep the seats folded down throw the dog bed on one side and your suitcases on the other.

They make the cargo mats that cover the folded down row. It will be far easier for the dog to get in and out of the back than the side doors. Your seats will also be protected and easier clean up.

That might be a better way to go. Right now we just put him in the back of the Endeavor, which is only two rows. A cargo mat and some type of divider to keep the dog from jumping over the seats could work very well.

Posts: 1627 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Look into the 2023 Honda Pilot: it's brand new; has a new engine with about the same HP but better emissions; a 10-speed transmission like in my Accord; and is bigger and better than the previous model in every way.
I plan to buy one, probably next year when supply is better; idea is to have an AWD SUV that can go to trailheads and camping spots with grandkids.
There are numerous reviews on YT that show how much room there is behind 3rd seat.
New Pilot has very sophisticated AWD, equivalent to Super Handling AWD on Acura MDX but in larger vehicle.
I have nothing against upcoming Toyota Grand Highlander; but current Highlander does not have the room, and frankly is goofy looking.
The Mazda CX-90 is all-new, can be had (eventually) with PHEV or an in-line 6; but it looks like it's smaller inside than the new Pilot.

Posts: 18090 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have nothing against upcoming Toyota Grand Highlander; but current Highlander does not have the room,

Hence the reason they are making the Grand Highlander. It’s not only longer but wider.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Look into the 2023 Honda Pilot: it's brand new; has a new engine with about the same HP but better emissions; a 10-speed transmission like in my Accord; and is bigger and better than the previous model in every way.

Did not realize the Pilot had gotten a size bump. I went and checked some videos out, space is decent.
But they still are using cylinder deactivation technology which is pretty much a no go for me. Hate it, hate it, hate it!

————————————————